Trip Report Blisters! Why Did it Have to be Blisters?! A 2019 Flower and Garden Report COMPLETED

Hello Disney Friends! Welcome to the "Trip Report That Almost Wasn't Posted". More on that in a minute. Now for the details:

Who: Me @LisaBelle and my sister, Tina @TangledTina
What: Tina's 50th Birthday Celebration
When: May 28-June 2, 2019
Where: The Contemporary Resort

How this trip came to be:
In 2016 Tina and I celebrated my 50th birthday by running the runDisney Princess 5k. You can read that trip report here. We knew that we wanted to take a sister's trip for Tina's birthday, but she hadn't decided what she wanted to do. We considered sitting on the beach, a cruise and visiting a new city. Then in July of 2018 our families went on a joint vacation to WDW. That TR is here. That trip had lots of bumps in the road and left Tina wanting another dose of Disney magic. In November of 2018 she called me up to discuss her birthday trip. The conversation went something like this: Tina: How would you feel about spending my birthday trip at Walt Disney World? Me: I'm calling to book it right now! :hilarious:

Because we were experiencing Flower and Garden for the first time we wanted to stay at an Epcot resort. Tina chose the Beach Club and we spent the winter months dreaming of lounging at Stormalong Bay and walking into Epcot via the International Gateway.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks prior to our trip. I received a phone call from Disney saying that they were overbooked at Beach Club and we needed to switch resorts :banghead:. Because of the inconvenience they would discount the price on a monorail resort! After some discussion we decided on the Contemporary. We'd stayed there with our families in July, but we had stayed in one of the Garden Wing buildings. It was a long walk to both the Contempo Cafe and the monorail so this time we wanted to stay in the main building. They were able to accommodate that request so we booked it.

Why this TR almost wasn't posted....
As soon as Tina and I returned from our WDW trip we needed to "finalize" (read completely plan and book :hilarious:) our next family adventure- a 2 week drive from Ohio to Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota. With those plans made I spent June uploading all of my WDW photos, dealt with Disney concerning Memory Maker issues and finally got those pictures uploaded. Our family vacation took up 2 weeks in July and then it was time for professional development and preparing my classroom for back to school! No worries, I can write my TR on weekends for sure over Thanksgiving and Christmas break, right?! This school year has been crazy busy and suddenly March rolled around and I still hadn't started my TR. Too late now I thought. Flower and Garden 2020 had begun and I felt like no one would want to read about last year's festival when they could real about this year's offerings. Then COVID 19 came along and closed down our beloved Disney World :cry:! With that I decided that now might be a good time to finally post this TR!

So without further ado, here we goooooo!

Monday, May 27, 2019
Today was Memorial Day and my family did our usual cookout while I finished laundry and packing. We were flying out of the Cincinnati airport early Tuesday morning. I live closer to the airport so we decided that Tina would spend the night at my house to make the morning less rushed. Tina sent me this photo as she was packing. Tina had planned to arrive at my house in the evening, but due to laundry/packing issues she was running behind. Then the weather near her turned ugly which delayed her even more. There were actually tornadoes in Dayton that night. Luckily, they weren't close to Tina's home.

Tina finally arrived at my house between 11:30pm and midnight. We double checked our Magic Bands, plane check-in, flight time, etc. As we were discussing our outfits for the next day Tina asked my opinion on which shoes she should wear. She had bought a new pair of shoes that hadn't been broken in yet. They looked great with her outfit and they felt so comfortable when she tried them on that we felt like they should probably be okay. Remember this conversation.

Tuesday, May 28, 2019
Our flight was scheuled to depart at 8am. Because I don't like to be rushed I wanted to be at the airport by 6. This meant we needed to leave my house by 5:30. We woke up about 4:30am. We got dressed, drank a quick cup of coffee and were on the road to the airport by 5:35am. We parked, took the shuttle to the terminal, checked our bags and had made it through security by 6:35. On the way to the gate I sent this text to my family, all of whom were still sound asleep back home.

Tina and I took some airport pictures to pass the time until we could board the plane.

Time passed quickly and by 7:45 we were on the plane!

I channeled my inner J from @riverside's reports and read the safety instructions while we waited for takeoff.

We left the gate at 7:59. During the flight we looked over the Flower and Garden menus to prioritize our food choices for the afternoon. Our original plan was to drop off our bags and hop on the monorail to Epcot. During the flight Tina suggested that we drop off our bags and pop into the MK for a few photos and 1 ride before heading to Epcot. MK is always our first park, so I was excited to keep this tradition alive. Besides, who says no to MK?! Checking our progress.

Our flight was uneventful and we landed at 9:50, which was about 20 minutes ahead of schedule! We used the restroom and jumped in line for Starbucks. We both got a caramel macchiato to drink on the Magical Express.

We checked in with Magical Express and we were first in our line.

We boarded the ME at 10:35 and pulled out of the airport at 10:43.

At 10:47 we received our room ready text. We were super excited about this because we would be able to freshen up a bit before heading to MK!

At 11:07 we drove under the sign and felt like our vacation had officially begun!

Up next: The Contemporary

k8einwdw

Sorry for all the like spam, I’m still catching up on everything I missed when I took three weeks off from the boards. I really enjoyed your TR, especially your Flower and Garden pics! Thank you for sharing your trip!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing your trip! It was so nice to read and have that escape to Disney feeling during this time. 🙂
Thanks for reading. Reliving the trip was a much needed escape from reality for me.

Sorry for all the like spam, I’m still catching up on everything I missed when I took three weeks off from the boards. I really enjoyed your TR, especially your Flower and Garden pics! Thank you for sharing your trip!
So happy you enjoyed following along. Thanks for the compliment about the Flower and Garden pics. I was so happy to finally be able to take those F & G pics after so many years of drooling over them in other TRs.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
I'm back again. Sorry for the delay. Although school is out I am on our leadership team and we are getting a new principal next year. This transition meant that we needed to have quite a few virtual leadership team meetings. We also had online professional development, so I wasn't feeling any more screen time. Screen detox now complete, on with the show.

July 16, 2019

Today's agenda was the long trip from Kansas to Golden, Colorado.

We slept in a bit, grabbed breakfast from the hotel and hit the road around 11:00am. We didn't have anything special planned for this day, so when my brother-in-law saw signs for the Cathedral of the Plains we decided to jump off the highway and take a look. We were so happy that we did. It was beautiful and we enjoyed a relaxing self-tour.

It's probably difficult to read the placard, but this is St. Fidelis Church in Victoria, KS. It is also known as the Cathedral of the Plains and was constructed between 1908 and 1911 by German and German Russian Catholics. If you are ever out this way it is definitely worth a stop. Fun fact, it is one of the 8 Wonders of Kansas and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Sorry I only have outside pictures on here. I am having trouble getting the indoor pics to load. If you Google Cathedral of the Plains you can see tons of photos!

About an hour later it was mid afternoon and we were all getting hungry. We were quite some way from a bigger town with lots of restaurant choices. We saw this place right off the highway (we may have stopped for gas) and decided to take a chance! To be honest, I was worried we'd end up with food poisoning, but it all turned out fine!

We arrived in Golden, Colorado that evening. We were tired from a long day of driving so we checked in to the hotel, grabbed a delicious pizza dinner at Woody's Wood Fired Pizza (no pics, but highly recommend) and headed to bed.

July 17, 2019

The next day we took a tour of the Coors Brewery. You park in a parking area and then wait in line to take a shuttle to the brewery. Once there, you pay for the tour, which includes samples of beer and a souvenir glass. Visitors under 21 are free, but do not receive the beer themed souvenir glass. Then you wait in a lobby area with some displays telling the history of the brewery until your group is called in for the tour. We waited at least 45 minutes for our tour. The crew was definitely getting antsy! Once it began the tour was very informative and we all enjoyed our samples.

My favorite Coors spokesman! I sent this pic of "our boy" Mark Harmon to my best friend. We love him!

Sorry beer lovers, I cannot tell you the name of any of these beers or which we liked best.

We hit the gift shop and then headed in to town for a late lunch and some shopping. We ate lunch at Trailhead Taphouse and Kitchen which featured Cajun fare. I don't like anything spicy so I was afraid of a lot of the menu :hilarious:. This is a picture of my chicken and zucchini salad. It was delicious! Most of the group ate Po' Boys and we also tried some gator bites. Sorry, no pics of those items.

After lunch and shopping we headed back to the hotel for a short break. My nephew wanted to go hiking so all but Paul got changed and headed out. The Apex Trail was only about 10 minutes from our hotel and we really enjoyed ourselves. People can hike or ride bikes on the trail so you always had to be on the lookout for mountain bikers. My nephew was bummed because we didn't go all the way to the top, but it was getting dark and we didn't want to take a chance of being on an unfamiliar trail in the dark.

By the time we got back to the hotel and got cleaned up for dinner it was getting late. Many of the restaurants had stopped dinner service so we ended up driving to a nearby mall and ate at Baseline Taphouse. We would have preferred local rather than a chain, but the pickings were slim that night! After dinner we called it a night.

July 18, 2019

We got up and headed to brunch at the Denver Biscuit Company. This was another DDD restaurant. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures, but the biscuits were huge and delicious!

Bellies happy, we drove to Rocky Mountain National Park. We did some hiking and exploring in the lower altitudes.

Then we drove up Trail Ridge Road. I hate heights and spinning. The narrow twisting roads made me feel like I was spinning and I was getting increasingly anxious about the altitude. We stopped at this overlook.

All of the kids wanted to keep going to reach the top, but I was scared and we were meeting one of Tina's college friends for dinner, so we headed back down.

We met Tina's friend and her son for an enjoyable meal at a Mexican restaurant in Boulder, CO. Then we drove back to Golden.

July 19, 2019

Today we headed to Colorado Springs. We toured Garden of the Gods. All of the red rock formations were formed naturally. This is the famous Kissing Camels rock formation.

This is the balanced rock.

Enjoy these other red rocks we saw as we walked and drove around Garden of the Gods. The sign explains that The Garden of the Gods was given to the city of Colorado Springs in 1909 by the children of Charles Elliott Perkins in fulfillment of his wish that it be kept forever free to the public. Garden of the Gods is a must see if you are ever in Colorado Springs, CO.

It was super hot so after hiking around for a bit we spent some time looking at the exhibits in the Visitor's Center and visited the Trading Post. We all had a snack to hold us over til dinner. From here we split up. Tina and her crew were on a mission to purchase some cowboy boots. My crew was heading to dinner at another DDD restaurant.

Up next: Dinner at the Skirted Heifer.

Last edited:

LisaBelle

Original Poster
July 19, 2019 continued...

We had originally planned to visit Pike's Peak, but the train that would take you to the summit was not operating and after my anxiety of heights from the day before we decided to just drive around and check out some other Colorado Springs sites. I didn't take pictures, but we drove near the Air Force Academy Chapel (under renovation and not open) and the Broadmoor Hotel.

By now it was dinner time. We headed for the Skirted Heifer. This restaurant was featured on DDD.

Their burgers are made with tons of cheese. They pile the cheese on top of the burger and allow the cheese to melt and ooze around the burger. The cheese "skirt" gets a bit crispy around the edges and it is super yummy! They had lots of toppings to choose from. We all enjoyed our burgers and fries. We shared a frozen custard for dessert.

Our next day was going to be jam packed, so we headed back to our hotel, got packed up and hit the hay.

July 20, 2019

Today was going to be one of the longest days of our trip. We were checking out of the hotel and heading for Cheyenne, Wyoming. We were planning to attend Cheyenne Frontier Days where we would attend our first ever rodeo. Then we would drive from Cheyenne to South Dakota.

Tina's family wanted to do some shopping in Cheyenne, so we slept in and they headed out an hour or so before we did. We drove through McDonald's for breakfast and were soon bidding a fond farewell to Colorado. We really enjoyed our visit. Allie and Adam fell in love with the state and can't wait to go back some day.

We made it to the Wyoming state line around 1:30pm.

We drove to a park and ride and boarded a bus that would take us to Frontier Days. Tina and her crew had parked in Cheyenne and were also taking a shuttle to the venue. We met up with Tina and picked up our tickets from will call. We were excited to experience our first rodeo. This rodeo takes place during Cheyenne Frontier Days and is called "The Daddy of 'em All". It is the world's largest outdoor rodeo. It has the atmosphere of a fair with rides and fair food. They also have concerts called Frontier Nights which feature artists like Blake Shelton and Thomas Rhett.

Calf roping

Bull riding

Adam, Allie and Paul tried the cheese curds. They were amazing! Our favorite food at Frontier Days.

Deep Fried Cheeseburger

They also tried a kangaroo burger, but I did not take a picture of that.

Snacks for the road-sugared almonds, kettle corn and cream soda.

A picture to commemorate our day!

We had a great time. Frontier Days is held the last full week in July (sadly not happening this year due to the pandemic) and I would recommend it.

We caught the shuttle back to our cars and headed for South Dakota. We were staying near Mt. Rushmore. We stopped for gas and dinner about 30 minutes to an hour from Mount Rushmore. It was after 9pm so we didn't have many choices for dinner. We ended up at a restaurant/bar at a hotel (but not our hotel). They had a varied menu. My kids had crab legs and I had some sort of sandwich.

We arrived at our hotel after 11pm and called it a day.

July 21, 2019

Today was another busy day. Sister selfie before leaving the hotel.

The families had slightly different priorities for today. We planned to see most of the same sights, but Tina's crew was planning an extra stop on their agenda so they headed out just a bit before us. The first stop for both families was the Crazy Horse Memorial. My husband was really interested in this, so we spent some extra time here. It is funded privately and is not finished.

Then we headed to Mount Rushmore. Tina's family also went to Crazy Horse, but they didn't stay as long, so they reached Mount Rushmore before us.

Tina and I met up for a selfie because they were mostly finished here and were going to head out to their next stop.

My family ate lunch then explored.

Then it was time for ice cream. The vanilla ice cream is Thomas Jefferson's recipe. It was really yummy! I had a scoop of vanilla and a scoop of butter pecan.

Up Next: Wall Drug

LisaBelle

Original Poster
July 21, 2019 continued...

After a stop in the gift shop we headed an hour east to Wall, SD. Wall Drug is a famous tourist stop. Back in the 1930's the drug store was struggling to stay afloat. The owner's wife had the idea to advertise free ice water to the travelers heading to or from Mount Rushmore. From then on business was booming. They still serve free ice water, but it has expanded with a cowboy themed mall, a western art museum, a chapel, and other kitschy attractions like a brontosaurus and a jackelope. They are also famous for their donuts and ice cream.

I love this photo! We used it on our 2019 Christmas card!

Badlands National Park is just a hop, skip and a jump from Wall Drug. Tina's family really wanted to visit, which is why they got an earlier start that morning. Paul did not want to visit because after leaving Wall Drug we were planning to drive several more hours before stopping at a hotel in eastern SD. While we were at Wall Drug Tina called to tell us that Badlands National Park was a must do. They had encountered a herd of buffalo not far from the park entrance and and they didn't want us to miss it. Adam and Allie really wanted to see the buffalo so Paul said we could go. Best. Decision. Ever! We were so happy that we did this. The scenery was breathtaking and it was amazing to see real buffalo up close!

This was a major highlight of the trip. We were so happy that Tina's family had forged ahead and let us know about this amazing experience. The sun was setting so we left the park, grabbed sandwiches at Subway and headed for eastern SD.
We arrived at the hotel around 1am and went straight to bed.

July 22, 2019

The next morning we all slept in and headed out of the hotel around 11:00 am. Tina's family decided to take a slightly different route back to Ohio, so we said goodbye to them, grabbed a drive through brunch and hit the road. This entire day was driving. It was lonnnnnngggg, but we passed the time watching movies and having sing alongs and the time went much faster than expected.

Tina's crew stopped to see the World's Largest Popcorn Ball in Sac City, Iowa.

We stopped for dinner in Iowa City, Iowa. We drove around for quite awhile until we decided to try a restaurant called Basta. This was one of the most delicious meals of our trip. I loved the ambiance, our server was super friendly and the food was phenomenal.

This was my meal, Prosciutto Chicken with potato gnocchi, fire roasted asparagus, pine nuts, shaved parmesan and pesto. It was so delicious! My mouth is watering looking at this photo.

Since it was our first time dining there our server brought us an order of tiramisu on the house!

The wood fired pizza here smelled amazing! We still had several hours of driving so we ordered a small pizza to go in case we got hungry before reaching our hotel. I would highly recommend this restaurant!

We again drove late into the night and went to bed as soon as we reached our hotel.

July 23, 2019

Today was the last leg of our trip. Again, we did not have anything planned. We were all tired and ready to get home.
We stopped for lunch at Sunsinger in Champaign, Illinois. No food pictures but it was another delicious meal. Our favorite item was the soup of the day, which was a mushroom brie soup. We wanted to lick the bowl. It was soooo good.

From there we drove the rest of the way to Ohio. Another fun family vacation was in the books! It was lots of driving, especially on the way home, but it went much faster than we expected. I'm not sure I can pick my favorite part of this trip, but I think it was our visit to Badlands National Park. The badlands were magnificent and it was amazing to be so close to the buffalo. We feel so blessed to have seen so much of our beautiful country. I hope you enjoyed following along with us on my bonus trip report.

Up Next: Future trip?

LisaBelle

Original Poster
I was hoping to end this trip report with some exciting news. Sadly, it did not work out that way :(.

It has been a dream of Allie's to participate in the Disney College Program. In January she applied for the Fall 2020 program and on February 3rd she was accepted in to the DCP! 😍 We were so excited! Her move in date was August 17 and her program ending date was January 7, 2021. We wanted her to have her car with her so we planned to drive to FL in her car and I would fly back after getting her moved in. We planned to spread the drive out over 2 days and arrive at Disney on August 15. We would visit Disney Springs that afternoon/evening, spend the 16th at MK, move her in on the 17th and I would fly home on the 18th. We were planning to buy APs for the family so we could experience MNSSHP, Food & Wine, Thanksgiving and MVMCP. In early March I booked a room only reservation at Art of Animation, but held off on purchasing the APs. I also booked my flight home. We all know what happened next. Allie had resigned herself to the fact her program would be cancelled, but we had a glimmer of hope when they announced the WDW opening dates. Sadly she received the official news that her program was cancelled :cry:. I am sooooo disappointed for her. I realize there are much worse things happening in the world, but this has been a dream of hers for so long and it seemed that dream was coming true.

Allie will turn 21 in 2021 and she wants to celebrate at Disney. We are hoping to do a girls only (Allie, Tina and me) trip for her birthday in late spring. Then in July of 2021 our family was planning to take a family friend who has never been to Disney. I am hoping that these trips will be able to happen, but who knows?! Wearing masks to the parks in July (or even May) does not sound like a lot of fun and I am almost certain it will be a no go for my husband. Time will tell.

In the meantime, I am excited to read about the upcoming trips of my fellow magicians. Wishing you all lots of pixie dust and hoping I will be joining you all back in WDW as soon as possible!

Thanks to all who stuck with me to the end!

Last edited:

TheMouseFan

Thanks for sharing your bonus trip report with us! I really enjoyed following along! That stinks about the College Program! I hate that so much was messed up for the kids this year! I'm hoping that there is some semblance of normalcy to this year since it will be Logan's senior year! Hope your trips happen next year, and maybe we'll have some overlap in July (we will at least make it to Disney Springs and have a dinner at 'Ohana even if we don't go to the parks!)

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing your bonus trip report with us! I really enjoyed following along! That stinks about the College Program! I hate that so much was messed up for the kids this year! I'm hoping that there is some semblance of normalcy to this year since it will be Logan's senior year! Hope your trips happen next year, and maybe we'll have some overlap in July (we will at least make it to Disney Springs and have a dinner at 'Ohana even if we don't go to the parks!)

Thanks for reading! Fingers crossed that things are able to be more normal for Logan’s senior year. That would be great if our trips overlapped! I’d love to meet you and your family!

Songbird76

July 19, 2019 continued...

We had originally planned to visit Pike's Peak, but the train that would take you to the summit was not operating and after my anxiety of heights from the day before we decided to just drive around and check out some other Colorado Springs sites. I didn't take pictures, but we drove near the Air Force Academy Chapel (under renovation and not open) and the Broadmoor Hotel.

By now it was dinner time. We headed for the Skirted Heifer. This restaurant was featured on DDD.

Their burgers are made with tons of cheese. They pile the cheese on top of the burger and allow the cheese to melt and ooze around the burger. The cheese "skirt" gets a bit crispy around the edges and it is super yummy! They had lots of toppings to choose from. We all enjoyed our burgers and fries. We shared a frozen custard for dessert.

Our next day was going to be jam packed, so we headed back to our hotel, got packed up and hit the hay.

July 20, 2019

Today was going to be one of the longest days of our trip. We were checking out of the hotel and heading for Cheyenne, Wyoming. We were planning to attend Cheyenne Frontier Days where we would attend our first ever rodeo. Then we would drive from Cheyenne to South Dakota.

Tina's family wanted to do some shopping in Cheyenne, so we slept in and they headed out an hour or so before we did. We drove through McDonald's for breakfast and were soon bidding a fond farewell to Colorado. We really enjoyed our visit. Allie and Adam fell in love with the state and can't wait to go back some day.

We made it to the Wyoming state line around 1:30pm.

We drove to a park and ride and boarded a bus that would take us to Frontier Days. Tina and her crew had parked in Cheyenne and were also taking a shuttle to the venue. We met up with Tina and picked up our tickets from will call. We were excited to experience our first rodeo. This rodeo takes place during Cheyenne Frontier Days and is called "The Daddy of 'em All". It is the world's largest outdoor rodeo. It has the atmosphere of a fair with rides and fair food. They also have concerts called Frontier Nights which feature artists like Blake Shelton and Thomas Rhett.

Calf roping

Bull riding

Adam, Allie and Paul tried the cheese curds. They were amazing! Our favorite food at Frontier Days.

Deep Fried Cheeseburger

They also tried a kangaroo burger, but I did not take a picture of that.

Snacks for the road-sugared almonds, kettle corn and cream soda.

A picture to commemorate our day!

We had a great time. Frontier Days is held the last full week in July (sadly not happening this year due to the pandemic) and I would recommend it.

We caught the shuttle back to our cars and headed for South Dakota. We were staying near Mt. Rushmore. We stopped for gas and dinner about 30 minutes to an hour from Mount Rushmore. It was after 9pm so we didn't have many choices for dinner. We ended up at a restaurant/bar at a hotel (but not our hotel). They had a varied menu. My kids had crab legs and I had some sort of sandwich.

We arrived at our hotel after 11pm and called it a day.

July 21, 2019

Today was another busy day. Sister selfie before leaving the hotel.

The families had slightly different priorities for today. We planned to see most of the same sights, but Tina's crew was planning an extra stop on their agenda so they headed out just a bit before us. The first stop for both families was the Crazy Horse Memorial. My husband was really interested in this, so we spent some extra time here. It is funded privately and is not finished.

Then we headed to Mount Rushmore. Tina's family also went to Crazy Horse, but they didn't stay as long, so they reached Mount Rushmore before us.

Tina and I met up for a selfie because they were mostly finished here and were going to head out to their next stop.

My family ate lunch then explored.

Then it was time for ice cream. The vanilla ice cream is Thomas Jefferson's recipe. It was really yummy! I had a scoop of vanilla and a scoop of butter pecan.

Up Next: Wall Drug

Crazy Horse looks almost exactly the same as it has since I was a kid. They haven't done much on it in 40 years.
Did you go to Keystone? Where did Tina's family go that you didn't? There's SOOOO much to do in that area! The Cosmos, Reptile Gardens, Mammoth Hot Springs, Custer State Park. And one of my favorite ever restaurants is in Hill City.

So did you drive from Colorado to Cheyenne, Wyoming, do frontier days, and then drive to South Dakota all in one day??? I don't envy that day!! You must have been exhausted!

Songbird76

July 21, 2019 continued...

After a stop in the gift shop we headed an hour east to Wall, SD. Wall Drug is a famous tourist stop. Back in the 1930's the drug store was struggling to stay afloat. The owner's wife had the idea to advertise free ice water to the travelers heading to or from Mount Rushmore. From then on business was booming. They still serve free ice water, but it has expanded with a cowboy themed mall, a western art museum, a chapel, and other kitschy attractions like a brontosaurus and a jackelope. They are also famous for their donuts and ice cream.

I love this photo! We used it on our 2019 Christmas card!

Badlands National Park is just a hop, skip and a jump from Wall Drug. Tina's family really wanted to visit, which is why they got an earlier start that morning. Paul did not want to visit because after leaving Wall Drug we were planning to drive several more hours before stopping at a hotel in eastern SD. While we were at Wall Drug Tina called to tell us that Badlands National Park was a must do. They had encountered a herd of buffalo not far from the park entrance and and they didn't want us to miss it. Adam and Allie really wanted to see the buffalo so Paul said we could go. Best. Decision. Ever! We were so happy that we did this. The scenery was breathtaking and it was amazing to see real buffalo up close!

This was a major highlight of the trip. We were so happy that Tina's family had forged ahead and let us know about this amazing experience. The sun was setting so we left the park, grabbed sandwiches at Subway and headed for eastern SD.
We arrived at the hotel around 1am and went straight to bed.

July 22, 2019

The next morning we all slept in and headed out of the hotel around 11:00 am. Tina's family decided to take a slightly different route back to Ohio, so we said goodbye to them, grabbed a drive through brunch and hit the road. This entire day was driving. It was lonnnnnngggg, but we passed the time watching movies and having sing alongs and the time went much faster than expected.

Tina's crew stopped to see the World's Largest Popcorn Ball in Sac City, Iowa.

We stopped for dinner in Iowa City, Iowa. We drove around for quite awhile until we decided to try a restaurant called Basta. This was one of the most delicious meals of our trip. I loved the ambiance, our server was super friendly and the food was phenomenal.

This was my meal, Prosciutto Chicken with potato gnocchi, fire roasted asparagus, pine nuts, shaved parmesan and pesto. It was so delicious! My mouth is watering looking at this photo.

Since it was our first time dining there our server brought us an order of tiramisu on the house!

The wood fired pizza here smelled amazing! We still had several hours of driving so we ordered a small pizza to go in case we got hungry before reaching our hotel. I would highly recommend this restaurant!

We again drove late into the night and went to bed as soon as we reached our hotel.

July 23, 2019

Today was the last leg of our trip. Again, we did not have anything planned. We were all tired and ready to get home.
We stopped for lunch at Sunsinger in Champaign, Illinois. No food pictures but it was another delicious meal. Our favorite item was the soup of the day, which was a mushroom brie soup. We wanted to lick the bowl. It was soooo good.

From there we drove the rest of the way to Ohio. Another fun family vacation was in the books! It was lots of driving, especially on the way home, but it went much faster than we expected. I'm not sure I can pick my favorite part of this trip, but I think it was our visit to Badlands National Park. The badlands were magnificent and it was amazing to be so close to the buffalo. We feel so blessed to have seen so much of our beautiful country. I hope you enjoyed following along with us on my bonus trip report.

Up Next: Future trip?
The Badlands are really something, aren't they? We used to make that drive every couple of years because my mom's family was all in Illinois, and we lived in the Northeast corner of Wyoming. We went to Mount Rushmore several times a year, but every couple of years we'd go beyond and head through Wall, into Mitchell and see the Corn Palace, then further East. It's a long drive, but there's a lot to see on the way. It seems kind of strange to me that people are so excited by the bison, because I grew up across the highway from one of the largest buffalo ranches in the world. I looked out of my bedroom window and could see them if it was the right time of year. Custer State Park is also full of them, so if you ever go back that way, that might be a great place to visit.

Captain Barbossa

Enjoyed your TR! And your bonus triple D stops too! Sorry that Allie’s DCP semester in the fall got cancelled. I was planning on doing the spring 2021 semester, but I highly doubt that’s going to happen. Thanks again for sharing your TR!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Crazy Horse looks almost exactly the same as it has since I was a kid. They haven't done much on it in 40 years.
Did you go to Keystone? Where did Tina's family go that you didn't? There's SOOOO much to do in that area! The Cosmos, Reptile Gardens, Mammoth Hot Springs, Custer State Park. And one of my favorite ever restaurants is in Hill City.

So did you drive from Colorado to Cheyenne, Wyoming, do frontier days, and then drive to South Dakota all in one day??? I don't envy that day!! You must have been exhausted!

It’s definitely slow progress on Crazy Horse!
We did not go to Keystone or any of the other places you mentioned.
Originally, my family was going to skip Badlands National Park. My husband really didn’t want to go there because we still had several hours of driving to get to our next hotel. Once Tina’s family got there and saw the bison she called and told us how amazing it was and we finally got him on board so we were able to go there after all!
Yep! We did all that in one day! We didn’t find out about Frontier Days until late in our planning so we had to squeeze it in!

The Badlands are really something, aren't they? We used to make that drive every couple of years because my mom's family was all in Illinois, and we lived in the Northeast corner of Wyoming. We went to Mount Rushmore several times a year, but every couple of years we'd go beyond and head through Wall, into Mitchell and see the Corn Palace, then further East. It's a long drive, but there's a lot to see on the way. It seems kind of strange to me that people are so excited by the bison, because I grew up across the highway from one of the largest buffalo ranches in the world. I looked out of my bedroom window and could see them if it was the right time of year. Custer State Park is also full of them, so if you ever go back that way, that might be a great place to visit.

The badlands took my breath away! So beautiful and amazing to look at! Thanks for the tip about the bison in Custer State Park. There were so many things we wanted to see, but there just wasn’t time in this trip. We would like to go back and see more in the future.

Enjoyed your TR! And your bonus triple D stops too! Sorry that Allie’s DCP semester in the fall got cancelled. I was planning on doing the spring 2021 semester, but I highly doubt that’s going to happen. Thanks again for sharing your TR!

Thanks for reading! It was fun to visit the triple D restaurants. We were all so disappointed about the DCP. Fingers crossed that you & Allie will both get your DCP experience. Paul and I told her we’d be fine with her spreading out her college course work a bit to give her more time to be eligible.

Enjoyed your bonus trip report very much! And very sorry to hear about your daughter's cancelled College Program. :(

I’m so happy you enjoyed the bonus material! Thanks! We were so disappointed about DCP. I’d even bought a t-shirt that said DCP Mom 2020. I am a firm believer in things happening for a reason. Hopefully she will get another chance. Thanks so much for reading!

Songbird76

It’s definitely slow progress on Crazy Horse!
We did not go to Keystone or any of the other places you mentioned.
Originally, my family was going to skip Badlands National Park. My husband really didn’t want to go there because we still had several hours of driving to get to our next hotel. Once Tina’s family got there and saw the bison she called and told us how amazing it was and we finally got him on board so we were able to go there after all!
Yep! We did all that in one day! We didn’t find out about Frontier Days until late in our planning so we had to squeeze it in!

The badlands took my breath away! So beautiful and amazing to look at! Thanks for the tip about the bison in Custer State Park. There were so many things we wanted to see, but there just wasn’t time in this trip. We would like to go back and see more in the future.

Thanks for reading! It was fun to visit the triple D restaurants. We were all so disappointed about the DCP. Fingers crossed that you & Allie will both get your DCP experience. Paul and I told her we’d be fine with her spreading out her college course work a bit to give her more time to be eligible.

I’m so happy you enjoyed the bonus material! Thanks! We were so disappointed about DCP. I’d even bought a t-shirt that said DCP Mom 2020. I am a firm believer in things happening for a reason. Hopefully she will get another chance. Thanks so much for reading!
I was going to ask if she will have another opportunity to do DCP. Is she supposed to be graduating this year?

If you ever do plan a trip back that way, let me know and I will be happy to give you some tips about things in that area to see. We're hopefully heading there next Summer to do all the Wyoming sites at least. We did Mount Rushmore/Keystone/Custer State Park/Mammoth hot springs, and Cosmos in 2016, but we've never taken the kids to see the Badlands. We should do that. Oh, we also did Wind Cave in 2016. Anyway, there's a ton of stuff to do there.

Loco_driver

I really enjoyed your bonus trip! We visited some of the same places a few years ago. We ended up getting a guided tour around the Mt. Rushmore/Black hills area that includes a stop at Custer state park as well. It’s a really nice area with tons of things to see. Also loved the badlands! Did you guys stop at the corn palace in Mitchell, SD?

riverside

Premium Member
Thanks for sharing both of your trips!! They were so much fun to follow along!!
My sister's (now ex)husband was stationed at Ellsworth AFB so I've spent some time in South Dakota.
Never made it to see Crazy Horse though!! If you ever go out that way again there was a restaurant
in Rapid City called Sanford's. The food was excellent & the atmosphere was really neat. I made sure to eat there
on all my visits!
Good luck with this school year!! 🤞

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom