Black Widow moves to 2021

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
No they are not. They bring in millions and should get paid millions. Doesn't matter if they "need it" or not. stay out of their pockets. You are worth what someone is willing to pay you. she had a signed deal that disney decided to change. she gave them a chance to make it right and they ignored her, now they are really going to pay,. not a good look to have the star of your just released MAJOR MOTION PICTURE SUE THE CRAP OUT OF YOU.

"She had a signed deal that Disney decided to change" dude....you DO realize we're still in the middle of a pandemic, right? Disney literally delayed this movie BY A YEAR in the hopes that it would be able to come out as a theater only release. The pandemic changed everything, for everybody, not just Disney.

As for saying "stay out of their pockets"....what? Simply what? There are people in the real world that have nothing, but you're worried about millionaires not "getting their fair share"?

Mmoore29

One thing I can see this lawsuit doing, regardless of the outcome, is that Disney will certainly be pushing more films to exclusive 45-day theatrical windows, to spare the headaches regarding compensation of stars over day-and-date or Disney+ exclusives.

CJR

Oh by the way Cruella (Emma Stone)and Jungle Cruise(Emily Blunt) Might do the same lawsuit according to news outlets, But wow Bob Chapek effed Up big time on this one. Have you guys saw the Shang chi Damage control poster that says Only in theaters.

My question though, why is this limited to just Disney movies? Disney's not the only studio that's put movies that were supposed to be theatrical onto streaming services.

There seems to be some sort of target focused on Disney when Warner Brothers put movies onto HBO Max, Universal put movies onto Peacock, and Paramount did at least a few on Paramount+.

mightynine

How’s Chappie’s legal skills? Does Uncle Iger need to come in and give him some pointers?

My question though, why is this limited to just Disney movies? Disney's not the only studio that's put movies that were supposed to be theatrical onto streaming services.

There seems to be some sort of target focused on Disney when Warner Brothers put movies onto HBO Max, Universal put movies onto Peacock, and Paramount did at least a few on Paramount+.

Apparently WB went to those whose movies would be put up on HBO Max and gave them more money and also tweaked the terms to make the move more palatable.

If Disney didn’t honor the contract, that’s on them. And anyone on the studio side better hope they get this fixed or good luck with casting in the future.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

this link as a copy of the papers filed. Interesting read.
Well it appears its not as clear cut as some here would claim it to be. The contract never clearly stated exclusive theatrical release, just a "wide theatrical release" which it then clarifies that as meaning more than 1500 screens (which BTW it did). It was an assumption made that "wide theatrical release" meant a 90-120 day theater only release, assumptions don't work in contracts.

Disney did fulfill their part of the contract by releasing it on more than 1500 screens, over 4100 screens in fact.

The additional assumption on the part of ScarJo's camp is that lacking any D+ release that all those people would have gone to the theaters during a pandemic, which can't be assumed or even proven. Plus they are making it out as if Disney has some nefarious plan to cut ScarJo out of money.

So it is going to be an uphill battle for ScarJo if this really does go to trial.

Mmoore29

Well it appears its not as clear cut as some here would claim it to be. The contract never clearly stated exclusive theatrical release, just a "wide theatrical release" which it then clarifies that as meaning more than 1500 screens (which BTW it did). It was an assumption made that "wide theatrical release" meant a 90-120 day theater only release, assumptions don't work in contracts.

Disney did fulfill their part of the contract by releasing it on more than 1500 screens, over 4100 screens in fact.

The additional assumption on the part of ScarJo's camp is that lacking any D+ release that all those people would have gone to the theaters during a pandemic, which can't be assumed or even proven. Plus they are making it out as if Disney has some nefarious plan to cut ScarJo out of money.

So it is going to be an uphill battle for ScarJo if this really does go to trial.
I foresee a settlement between the parties, terms of which are confidential, by year's end, and Disney is also made to do similarly with other female stars, even the cast of Mulan, and a legally-binding promise to make the vast majority of their films (including all Pixar films and most Fox material) theatrical exclusives for a 45-day window.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I foresee a settlement between the parties, terms of which are confidential, by year's end, and Disney is also made to do similarly with other female stars, even the cast of Mulan, and a legally-binding promise to make the vast majority of their films (including all Pixar films and most Fox material) theatrical exclusives for a 45-day window.
In contracts assumptions can't be made, this is why contracts end up being 100s of pages long. Unless the language of the contract CLEARLY states exclusive theatrical release then as long as Disney released it to the x number of screens agreed to then they meet their end of the contract. The burden of proof is on ScarJo's end on trying to prove that anything else is breech of contract, which based on the contract language her lawyers put in the suit doesn't get met.

Beyond that I agree that a settlement will likely be reached. But one thing is probably going to happen, that Tower of Terror movie will no longer be ScarJo's to have. I would find it hard to believe that Disney would be willing to work with her again after this at least not right away.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Gina Carano made her choices and said stupid things…lay with the dog, get fleas.

the one thing I applaud Disney for is not suffering that fool. It’s Hollywood…she knows the deal

even if they are inconsistent/two faced
Actually she did not and Pedro Pascal said worse and Disney had no problems with him. Go watch her interview WITH Ben Shapiro. She lays it down from her point of view what happened and how Disney screwed her over man.

waltography

This for sure isn't limited to Disney - this case is the first of a couple that are opening up a whole can of worms regarding artist payout and the old system of getting a cut of box office sales (which post-pandemic doesn't look like it'll be the same anymore). I think the focus on Disney is purely based on ScarJo being the most prominent to call it out.

Beyond that I agree that a settlement will likely be reached. But one thing is probably going to happen, that Tower of Terror movie will no longer be ScarJo's to have. I would find it hard to believe that Disney would be willing to work with her again after this at least not right away.
I doubt after Disney tried to throw her under the bus by crying "we're in a pandemic, Karen" that ScarJo would want to work with Disney either. Weirdly personal on Disney's part to do that.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

"She had a signed deal that Disney decided to change" dude....you DO realize we're still in the middle of a pandemic, right? Disney literally delayed this movie BY A YEAR in the hopes that it would be able to come out as a theater only release. The pandemic changed everything, for everybody, not just Disney.

As for saying "stay out of their pockets"....what? Simply what? There are people in the real world that have nothing, but you're worried about millionaires not "getting their fair share"?
pandemic has no effect on a pre-negotiated and agreed upon and signed contract by all parties.

Wendy Pleakley

Actually she did not and Pedro Pascal said worse and Disney had no problems with him. Go watch her interview WITH Ben Shapiro. She lays it down from her point of view what happened and how Disney screwed her over man.

Carano did not have any agreement with Disney or obligation to be provided with future employment opportunities. She is not relevant to this discussion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No…she said what she said. And it doesn’t align with the company’s point of view. So she was fired like any employee.

pedro pascal is a numbskull too…but he didn’t do the same thing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney isn’t having a good couple of days. And rumor is that Emily Blunt is next…

interesting…

this leads me to believe that Disney is telling them “we aren’t making any money off the service”…while letting Wall Street believe they’re gonna make tons

and meanwhile…people pay for boo bash 🤯

Last edited:

ElvisMickey

interesting…

this leads me to believe thar Disney is telling them “we aren’t making any money off the service”…while letting Wall Street believe they’re gonna make tons

and meanwhile…people pay for boo bash 🤯
Right?! Disney probably shouldn’t have been bragging so much after Black Widow’s first weekend. I think it came across as a little obnoxious and may have P’d some people off.

I wonder how many people don’t even realize that Boo Bash is not a rebranding of Not So Scary and are getting less for their bucks…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom