Black Widow moves to 2021

Darkprime

Don't know why but I feel like the May release is gonna stick this time. Not because of the vaccines or anything just because I think Disney cant delay it anymore. And they need to release it so Phase 4 doesn't get pushed back anymore.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Don't know why but I feel like the May release is gonna stick this time. Not because of the vaccines or anything just because I think Disney cant delay it anymore. And they need to release it so Phase 4 doesn't get pushed back anymore.
This takes place in the past. Its release date doesn't affect the "phase" continuity.

Darkprime

This takes place in the past. Its release date doesn't affect the "phase" continuity.
That's still very much up in the air.
it was confirmed that Yelena has a cameo in Falcon and The Winter Soldier, yet they moved that show up to March because they couldn't sit on it anymore
That is why Black Widow will be released in May. Movies like Black Widow that have already sat on the shelf for the past year cant do that much longer. They have all sorts of bills they need to pay. Insurance etc,

Jedijax719

Ouch! There goes any "let's use Black Widow to see theater demand" discussion. They played chicken and COVID-19 won again.

ETA: I just saw the Shang-Chi thread right after posting. I should have read the threads first LOL.

doctornick

So, why shift the date if they are going to do simultaneous Disney+ anyway? Shifting the date would make more sense if they were going to keep it just theaters.

Mmoore29

Ouch! There goes any "let's use Black Widow to see theater demand" discussion.
It's still very true, it is. California, especially L.A. is moving to 50 percent capacity for theaters and Regal is reopening on April 2. Clearly the accountants made the decision and told them to hedge their bets; it it had been up to Chapek and Daniel alone, they would've made the decision to stay in theaters.

Disney is also clearly going to sit down with Cinemark to get Raya to play there and support day-and-date for it as well as Cruella and Black Widow. After all, WB's 45-day pact with Regal/Cineworld and the fact we'll hear such pacts with AMC and Cinemark in short order, means Disney will make such pacts too. That and everyone accepts that the 72-90 day window truly is outdated and it had to be jettisoned anyways.

plawren2

So, why shift the date if they are going to do simultaneous Disney+ anyway? Shifting the date would make more sense if they were going to keep it just theaters.
shifting in hope that more theaters would be open with more capacity in July? I would prefer to see in theater when safer (more vaccinated)

Darkprime

Spider-man staying in December for now. Remember that's Sonys call to make. I'm thinking it stays. Most people should be vaccinated by then.

Jedijax719

My thought would be to move it to July but (for now) make it only theatrical. If things look rough and not enough people are vaccinated and theaters are still closed, add the PA option closer to that date. I feel it was too premature to put the PA option on the later release date. Thus, we will STILL not know the true state of things for movie theaters.

BrianLo

My thoughts exactly. Clearly they still want to reap theatrical benefit but have slightly cold feet on letting it flounder. Black widow is not the true return to theatre experiment?

I’m actually surprised with the rate the US is going they aren’t confident enough in July to try.

Disney Analyst

My thought would be to move it to July but (for now) make it only theatrical. If things look rough and not enough people are vaccinated and theaters are still closed, add the PA option closer to that date. I feel it was too premature to put the PA option on the later release date. Thus, we will STILL not know the true state of things for movie theaters.

The true state is already known. There is going to be crowd hesitancy for a while. Nothing is going to be 100% normal until maybe late 2021 - early 2022, despite the US being so far ahead with vaccines.

Disney is smart to maintain the hybrid model until theatres and life is 100% back to normal, which I presume will be early 2022. And this should still give us a good sense of things, as hopefully theatres are all open and at a decent capacity by July, but the rest of the world is not anywhere close to that. And it's likely easier to make access the same across the board globally.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I mean, I want to see this opening day, but I'm not going to sit inside theaters anytime soon. So I'm quite pleased with this and selfishly personally hope hybrid is the model going forward for every movie release. I like having the choice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom