Billion $$ DCA Overhaul

GymLeaderPhil

I really wish they would replace Disneyland's Fantasyland Theater with Philharmagic. I think it would act as a perfect bridge between Fantasyland and Mickey's Toontown.

Rufus T Firefly

I hope this expansion is worth it, and not just a mumbo jumbo of new Pixar rides...

There still seems to be resistance to Pixar based attractions even though Pixar is part of Disney.
I like to look at it this way; many of the classic Disney characters (Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White, Alice, Mr.Toad etc.) were not created by Disney. But because the movies and attractions were made with loving care all have been accepted into the Disney family.

I think it all boils down to quality. Quality has always been one of the hallmarks of the Disney difference. The product produced by Pixar has always been of first rate quality IMHO. Disney was very wise to purchase it and main tain their high standards.

Perhaps in another generation, Pixar will be fully accepted as a member of the Disney family.

CThaddeus

I really wish they would replace Disneyland's Fantasyland Theater with Philharmagic. I think it would act as a perfect bridge between Fantasyland and Mickey's Toontown.

I like this idea...not because I like Philharmagic, but because The Princess Faire is really only appealing to girls. And again, I'd rather not lose Muppet-Vision. The idea of it bridging Fantasyland and Toontown is a great one, too.

kubfish

For those not in SoCal, you'd be surprised at what a huge story this has been here in the local media.

It's been pretty big in NOCAL as well. That story lead off the local news last night. Should be exciting times for DCA over the next few years.

Disneyfalcon

I, though, differ from the general public in that I LOVE the entrance plaza and Paradise Pier, the two areas that will be changing the most. I love the "CALIFORNIA" sign out front and the postcard look of the entrance. And Paradise Pier was one of my favorite parts of the park. The music and the themeing worked perfectly for me and I will really hate to lose the Maliboomer.

I totally agree. I said in another thread - I think there's 5 or 6 now on this subject :) - I really like DCA. I'm a big fan of the entrance theming. But more money being spent on it is never a bad thing.

dxwwf3

And finally, it wasn't mentioned in the press release, but I had also heard rumblings from people like Al Lutz (and for god's sakes, leave the man alone. He seems to know his stuff and genuinely seems to care about the Parks) that Muppet-Vision will be removed for Mickey's Philharmagic. I truly hope this is just a bad rumor. It is, in my mind, one of California Adventure's best attractions, and it would be a real shame to lose it to another 3-D movie which I feel is just a rip-off of every one that has come before it. Sorry, I've seen Philharmagic a number of times, and I don't think it's as great as other people seem to. If they do bring it to California Adventure, I hope it is put somewhere else in the Park. As mentioned, the Park has few enough attractions. Why kill something as wonderful as Muppet-Vision?

I agree completely. I think Muppet Vision is much better than Philharmagic and there is really no need to spend the money right now for that change. When they decide to update the attraction in Orlando, then they should do the same at DCA.

Now I'm starting to really regret only seeing Golden Dreams once this trip. Maybe a video will surface between now and closing......and maybe I'll be able to get to DCA one more time before it closes :)

Donald25

I agree completely. I think Muppet Vision is much better than Philharmagic and there is really no need to spend the money right now for that change. When they decide to update the attraction in Orlando, then they should do the same at DCA.

Now I'm starting to really regret only seeing Golden Dreams once this trip. Maybe a video will surface between now and closing......and maybe I'll be able to get to DCA one more time before it closes :)

i'll see if i can post my video for you... just have to find it first.. lol

kubfish

Hard to follow all these threads :)

The post above, awesome pictures... not sure I like the Mickey wheel changing but I don't ride it anyway. I hope CScream stays the same.

Concept art mainstreet looks awesome, carsland the same... The thing that I really like and is CA... The trolly's. Being from nocal of course I say that but that looks really cool.

1534 days til 2012! WOOT.. The countdown begins.

Pete C

Wow, I think Philharmagic is 10 times better than Muppet Vision. MV is pretty dated these days, whereas Philharmagic is a must see every time I visit MK. Different strokes I guess.

I also think Maliboomer is the worst space shot of all time. I hate the noise deflecting shields...it ruins the ride for me. There's no point in screaming to yourself, it's no fun.

The changes all sound like winners to me, and this new E-ticket...wow! Finally something new from Disney to get truly excited about since Everest. Too bad for me it will be in CA. All this plus a new show and dark ride for Little Mermaid...sounds like this park will finally be a full-day experience from start to finish.

Now, how about announcing a new E-ticket for WDW?

darthjohnny

I really don't want to see the Golden Gate Bridge monorail track go. I hope it stays.

It's very iconic. One of my first DCA pins was a monorail going through the bridge against a gold background. It's still one of my favorite pins.

Nicole220

I really don't want to see the Golden Gate Bridge monorail track go. I hope it stays.

It's very iconic. One of my first DCA pins was a monorail going through the bridge against a gold background. It's still one of my favorite pins.
It's going to go, unfortunately.
Looking at all the concept art, it doesn't fit in with the new theme.

OT: I love the concept art for a new partners statue!

Rufus T Firefly

I also think Maliboomer is the worst space shot of all time. I hate the noise deflecting shields...it ruins the ride for me. There's no point in screaming to yourself, it's no fun.

Umm, I don't really think those are noise deflectors. They are more like :hurl: catchers.

dxwwf3

What do you guys think of the new entrance style?

It looks too much like the Disney-MGM Studios entrance in my opinion.

If it didn't say California Adventure, you would think it was the MGM Studios concept art. But to me, the immediate entrance looks like the only downgrade to this plan (I'm still a huge fan of the CALIFORNIA letters). Even though I love the current postcard look, I'm sure the new "Main Street" will be fantastic. And I know that Paradise Pier will be a lot better 5 years from now than it is right now. But I don't think the MGM knock off is an improvement.

Nicole220

If it didn't say California Adventure, you would think it was the MGM Studios concept art. But to me, the immediate entrance looks like the only downgrade to this plan (I'm still a huge fan of the CALIFORNIA letters). Even though I love the current postcard look, I'm sure the new "Main Street" will be fantastic. And I know that Paradise Pier will be a lot better 5 years from now than it is right now. But I don't think the MGM knock off is an improvement.
I completely agree!

I said this in another thread, but it looks pretty tacky. :hurl:

CThaddeus

Okay, call me crazy, but I'm happy to see that entrance design. I love the look of the Disney-MGM entrance. I've always thought that was one of the Park's most attractive features. It has always kind of reminded me of the roller palace in "Xanadu," and while that may sound dopey, I love that style of architecture.
After reading up a bit more on the plans in the LA Times today, I see Muppet-Vision is definitely out in favor of Philharmagic. Sigh. It's like they're going backwards by putting it in. Yes, it is all computed-generated and it's on a bigger screen, but Muppet-Vision is so much more of a complete and immersive experience. Philharmagic has nothing of interest in its queue, it has no preshow, and the show itself has just one animatronic - Donald's butt - and that is only around for a few moments at the end of the film. Compare that to Muppet-Vision's clever joke-filled queue, the still-hysterical preshow video, the plethora of audio-animatronics, the live Sweetums, and the exploding theater effect. I see no contest. Considering how far technology has come in the last ten years since Muppet-Vision was made, Philharmagic just feels so plain and ordinary to me. I hope they reconsider this change. But, I'm guessing they won't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom