Biggest Rooms out of Delxue Resorts

alifares

My family and I are going to disney in june. My husband and I and our children, ages 1, 3, 7, 11. Which deluxe resorts have the best rooms for the 6 of us and which resort might will all of the children be amazed with.

slappy magoo

I know that "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" lists the average square footage of rooms in each resort. You can also look up info about each resort at allearsnet.com. Click on "accomodations" and you'll find each resort has a page of general info (including square footage and room occupancy), and various pics of each resort as well (including various rooms). Unless you're keeping the trip a secret from all of the kids, I'd say show them the photos (at least the older ones) and gauge their reaction(s) on where they'd like to stay. Not having kids, and not knowing your kids, I wouldn't hazard a guess as to which resort they'd find most magical. If they like animals, a savannah-view room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge would probably drive them insane with glee. If they're all about the Magic Kingdom, I'd say consider the Polynesian or the Wilderness Lodge (others might suggest Grand Floridian or Contemporary as well, and while I think they're awesome resorts, I'm trying to get into a kids' mindset here, and I'd think a kid would think GF is too stuffy, and perhaps Contemporary, aside from Chef Mickey's & the Arcade, is just not 'magical' enough, with no really prevalent theme like you'd find at WL and especially at the Poly). Most people consider the pool at the Beach Club to be the best on property, something to consider if you intend to spend a lot of time pool side. Boardwalk is also impeccably themed, as long as they're not afraid of clowns (the pool slide makes them come out of a giant clown's mouth)...

So, if someone put a gun to my head (and please...don't), or if I had kids and planned to stay at a deluxe (and if money were no object), I'd say AKL, Poly and WL would be the best bets for overall theming that'd knock a kids' socks off.

Upvote 0
You may want to give serious thought to staying at one of the Disney Vacation Club resorts that have two-bedroom villas--accommodations that include full kitchens and in-room laundry facilities. These include Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas (both of which offer walk-in access to EPCOT), Saratoga Springs (across the lagoon from Downtown Disney), Wilderness Lodge Villas, and Old Key West Resort. Old Key West is nice because the units have more of condo or small home feel to them, many with front porches. Depending on how adventurous you are, you may also want to think about the Fort Wilderness Campground.

If you are inclined toward the Vacation Club resorts, check out the forums at disboards.com, which include Vacation Club buy/sell forums. Many DVC members are willing to "rent" vacation club points for reasonable amounts that make staying at a Vacation Club resort less expensive than if you booked your stay through Disney Travel.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
From my understanding the rooms at the Contemporary are the largest standard rooms on property. I have stayed there before with a party of 5 and they were quite spacious compared to every other Disney resort I have stayed at. A few other options you might want to explore are the All star suites as well as the Cabins at Ft wilderness. Both the cabins and the suites should be a little less per night than the Contemporary at rack rates. If you are using an AP discount the Contemporary will in many cases be your best option as Disney does not discount the suites.

Renting DVC points would also be something I would seriously look into as well.

Upvote 0

justducky78

From pictures, I would think the Contemporary rooms are the largest. We've stayed at WL and they seem really small to me. We love the Yacht/Beach Club and the rooms seem big to me and the pool is awesome!

Like someone said, I would look into "renting" points from a DVC member. We plan on doing that when we go with a larger group.

Upvote 0

hokielutz

If you are looking for convenience of a Deluxe resort regarding transportation and large rooms.. then go with the Contemporary. You could find more theming at the Poly and still be on the monorail circuit... but you would loose some sqft in the process.

Another thing to think about, and I believe someone mentioned it before is renting disney vacation club points so you could use a DVC resort villa. These villas are totally awesome... they provide some subtlle theming tie-ins and they have plenty of space for your clan of 6.

I don't have kids, so I can't be a relied upon source for which resort they would most want to stay at.

Upvote 0

lwalker8

You should consider two connecting rooms at the Wilderness Lodge, one with bunkbeds and a queen size, and the other with two queens or a king size if you want privacy. That way everyone can have there own place to sleep at a great resort. You should also consider buying at least one annual pass to get a good discount on the rooms. At the right time of year you can get two rooms between 350 and 450 a night. Not cheap, but comparable to one room at some other Deluxe resorts on the property. Also the Campground has cabins that are supposedly very nice and sleep 6. I have never been myself but it is something to look in to.:wave:

Upvote 0

tikiman

It is rare that the Unofficial guide is wrong (well technically the official Disney info was wrong that they got it from so not their fault) but not all the room sizes are correct. We have been getting new data on some rooms and from what I have found the Polynesian and the Contemporary have the largest (non-suite) standard rooms. I still need to find out why some say the Contemporary rooms are slightly larger because I saw the original layout for the rooms at the Polynesian and Contemporary and they were designed exactly the same size. The longhouses built later at the Polynesian had even larger rooms.

So the sizes I do know for sure are:

Polynesian original longhouse rooms are 415 sq-ft
Polynesian newer construction in 1978 and 1985 rooms are 476 sq-ft

Contemporary tower standard rooms 415 sq-ft

Standard AKL rooms 339 sq-ft
Deluxe AKL room 381 sq-ft

YC/BC standard rooms 380 sq-ft

The original longhouse rooms are 415 sq-ft
The newer construction in 1978 and 1985 rooms are 476 sq-ft

I know the AKL rooms will not fit your family and I don't believe the YC/BC will either (does not allow that many in the room) and WL standard rooms I beleive are close to or the same as the AKL.

I think a monorail resort is your best choice and the Contemporary and Polynesian give you the most room in the standard room.

Upvote 0

Epcot82Guy

I second the DVC points. Remember, you get to use the amenities of a "connected" hotel. I personally would push the Beach Club because the Yacht and Beach Club area is wonderful. I know you said you wanted to impress your kids, and this has arguably the best pool on property (a sand-bottom "lake" with a hugh lighthouse and slide), it sits across a large lagoon from the boardwalk, it connects to Epcot, and it is very well appointed.

Upvote 0

lentesta

Premium Member
With 6 people I'd consider a two bedroom villa at one of the DVC resorts. Of those, I like Old Key West quite a bit, or the Boardwalk or Beach Club.

Incidentally, I think we've got room measurements down to the inch for all Disney resorts - it's just not made it in to the book yet. Soon.

Len

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That does not surprise me. Now all you need is to add the info about who makes the beds and the pillows ;)
It should also not surprise you that there was a thread about that very subject. A forum member was upset that the mattress company would not sell them the type of mattress used at the Poly.

Upvote 0

Yanks07

No Deluxe resort I know of will book 6 in a room. We got snowed out of NY in Feb. of 06 for 2 days after we checked out of BCV 2-bed with our party of 6. There was no avail. @ BCV or BdWlkV (around Pres week) so I called for a room. I had to tell them that we were a party of 5 to get a room. Go for the DVC room or get connecting rooms. Have Fun!

By the way, The kids will be Amazed by Wilderness Lodge! They have Villas too!!

Upvote 0

tikiman

No Deluxe resort I know of will book 6 in a room. We got snowed out of NY in Feb. of 06 for 2 days after we checked out of BCV 2-bed with our party of 6. There was no avail. @ BCV or BdWlkV (around Pres week) so I called for a room. I had to tell them that we were a party of 5 to get a room. Go for the DVC room or get connecting rooms. Have Fun!

Some Deluxe rooms that will sleep 5 will allow 6 if one is under the age of 3 and in a crib.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

The 1 and 3 year old in her party don't count against occupancy.

Upvote 0

Yanks07

Great point Tiki & Yoda, I have 17-21 yr. olds, (where did the time go) and it makes sense that the really little ones would not count as an actuall occupant of the room. I will have to remember that for when I have grand-kids.:eek:

Upvote 0

scottnj1966

My family and I are going to disney in june. My husband and I and our children, ages 1, 3, 7, 11. Which deluxe resorts have the best rooms for the 6 of us and which resort might will all of the children be amazed with.

All the regular hotel rooms are about the same size. Maybe at most 50 or 75 sq ft difference.

Get a room at one of the Disny vacation club places. Many resorts at Disney have them. I have stayed at the old key west one bedroom. It was an apartment. Was awesome. Fuill kitchen, jucuzzi, living room , laundry room with pull out bed, then a bedroom
they even have two bedroom ones too

I have pictures of that room, which I am told most of the dvc rooms are like that.

Upvote 0

Tara Stone

Some Deluxe rooms that will sleep 5 will allow 6 if one is under the age of 3 and in a crib.

Exactly right...we slept 5 plus an infant in a crib in a standard GF room in the past.

According to the Unofficial guide GF has the largest STANDARD room. We have stayed also at the Contemp and did not find those rooms to be bigger than the GF in fact slightly smaller as the guide suggests. I have to suggest though, if budget allows the one bedroom suite at the GF is nice for a party of six....two beds in the br and a bed in the Parlor (pull out) plus 2 bathrooms. We will have to be in that now since the baby is outta the crib!
I have not seen a contemp suite though, they may be nice as well

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom