Biggest Disney Pet Peeve

BrittanyRose428

No it's not being polite. How is it that they get on an obviously full bus that many people have been waiting for two or three buses to get a seat and you are supposed to give your waited on seat to these rude, entitled last minute charlies, because they are pregnant, no you can help being pregnant or having small children. being polite is giving a seat to elderly who can't help being elderly. They can help being pregnant and getting on at the last second and demanding a seat is rude. Last year my teenage daughter and I waited for two buses so we could get a seat literally as we are about to leave man and his barely pregnant wife jump on, he looks at my daughter does not ask he demands she stand so his wife can sit down. I was livid, of course my daughter did it because she respects those older than her, but I was so mad, she waited over 30 minutes for a seat he gets on at the last second and demands her seat, that is just rude.
Kind of unrelated, but doesn't waiting for two buses just so you can get a seat defeat the purpose of what you're trying to do? Stand in line longer to get a seat on the bus vs. stand on the bus and get to where you're going quicker which presumably has seats? Not trying to troll here, just honestly really curious. I take public transportation all the time, and am always interested by how people deal with the buses in Disney since it's nothing like how people are on buses/trains normally.

ninjaprincesst

Kind of unrelated, but doesn't waiting for two buses just so you can get a seat defeat the purpose of what you're trying to do? Stand in line longer to get a seat on the bus vs. stand on the bus and get to where you're going quicker which presumably has seats? Not trying to troll here, just honestly really curious. I take public transportation all the time, and am always interested by how people deal with the buses in Disney since it's nothing like how people are on buses/trains normally.
I chose to wait because I have a bad knee and it is much less painful to stand still and wait than be jostled around while standing on the bus, my teenage daughter says she prefers to wait because she has personal space issues and can't stand people constantly bumping in to her while standing on the bus.

Goofyernmost

That's because most of the people that are dealing with public transportation in Disney have never dealt with it outside of Disney. They have no idea and incredibly unrealistic expectations. It's the "I'm ready to go, where's the damn bus, what poor service!" syndrome.

Goofyernmost

I chose to wait because I have a bad knee and it is much less painful to stand still and wait than be jostled around while standing on the bus, my teenage daughter says she prefers to wait because she has personal space issues and can't stand people constantly bumping in to her while standing on the bus.
And there in is the reason why bus riding is not for everyone. That is why they rent cars or you bring your own. I have a bad knee as well, but, it is the opposite for me. Standing still bothers me much more then moving it around. Different strokes for different folks. Since I don't care to do either, I use a car... mine or rented and it makes me smile. Personal space issues are even more compelling a reason to avoid buses.

BrittanyRose428

That's because most of the people that are dealing with public transportation in Disney have never dealt with it outside of Disney. They have no idea and incredibly unrealistic expectations. It's the "I'm ready to go, where's the damn bus, what poor service!" syndrome.
That's exactly what it is, it's just always mindblowing to me because I'm so used to everyone not having an issue cramming onto public transportation to avoid waiting for the next bus. And like you said in your other post, if the bus seems like it would be an issue, I would use a car instead. Disney can definitely be tough if you have issues with personal space, but unfortunately the buses are one of the places where avoiding crowds can be really difficult. Even though I have no problems with the buses, we sometimes go to WDW with my 91 year old grandfather who doesn't quite need an ECV or wheelchair for the entire length of our stay, but he also isn't a fan of the bus situation, so when he is with us we always make sure to get a car and just avoid this problem altogether.

ninjaprincesst

That's exactly what it is, it's just always mindblowing to me because I'm so used to everyone not having an issue cramming onto public transportation to avoid waiting for the next bus. And like you said in your other post, if the bus seems like it would be an issue, I would use a car instead. Disney can definitely be tough if you have issues with personal space, but unfortunately the buses are one of the places where avoiding crowds can be really difficult. Even though I have no problems with the buses, we sometimes go to WDW with my 91 year old grandfather who doesn't quite need an ECV or wheelchair for the entire length of our stay, but he also isn't a fan of the bus situation, so when he is with us we always make sure to get a car and just avoid this problem altogether.[/QUOT
I just can't go the extra expense of the rent car, and I really don't mind the buses, sometimes I just make the personal choice to wait. I really don't mind waiting and if I in a hurry I'll stand. My daughter says the parking lot tram is way worse for the personal space issue than the bus (I think she is just spoiled )

G00fyDad

I just can't go the extra expense of the rent car, and I really don't mind the buses, sometimes I just make the personal choice to wait. I really don't mind waiting and if I in a hurry I'll stand. My daughter says the parking lot tram is way worse for the personal space issue than the bus (I think she is just spoiled )

We tried one trip without a car and that was enough for us for a lifetime. With the exception of transit boats... never again. Ever. These days the ONLY time we take Disney transportation is when we have no choice (or by boat from one end of DS to the other, or to Pioneer Hall from MK). We take the ferry or monorail to and from MK and that is it. We rent a car every time we go to WDW. For us it is all about not wanting to sit next to other sticky and sweaty people (yes, we are also sweaty and sticky), no loud yelling and screaming children, no FRIGID cold buses, and we are back at the resort at least 30 minutes before the next bus would get us there.

StarWarsGirl

We tried one trip without a car and that was enough for us for a lifetime. With the exception of transit boats... never again. Ever. These days the ONLY time we take Disney transportation is when we have no choice (or by boat from one end of DS to the other, or to Pioneer Hall from MK). We take the ferry or monorail to and from MK and that is it. We rent a car every time we go to WDW. For us it is all about not wanting to sit next to other sticky and sweaty people (yes, we are also sweaty and sticky), no loud yelling and screaming children, no FRIGID cold buses, and we are back at the resort at least 30 minutes before the next bus would get us there.
We're the opposite. Having the expense of a rental car is not worth it for us. We've had our car down there a few times and still used Disney transportation except to get to Animal Kingdom and the water parks. By the time we park, walk or take the tram to the front if the park, or for MK, also take a monorail or ferry, it just wastes time for us. Plus if we come back at midnight, 1 am, 2 am, no one wants to be driving. We'd rather just wait for the bus and have them drop us off nice and close to where we need to be.

We also tend to stay at the Epcot resorts, so we walk to DHS and Epcot, which helps. I stayed at Pop a few years ago, though, and the longest I waited was for a DHS bus, 20 minutes. Most of the time, the buses were waiting for us. Even at closing, the longest wait was 20 minutes. Not worth several hundred dollars for a rental car IMO.

G00fyDad

We're the opposite. Having the expense of a rental car is not worth it for us. We've had our car down there a few times and still used Disney transportation except to get to Animal Kingdom and the water parks. By the time we park, walk or take the tram to the front if the park, or for MK, also take a monorail or ferry, it just wastes time for us. Plus if we come back at midnight, 1 am, 2 am, no one wants to be driving. We'd rather just wait for the bus and have them drop us off nice and close to where we need to be.

We also tend to stay at the Epcot resorts, so we walk to DHS and Epcot, which helps. I stayed at Pop a few years ago, though, and the longest I waited was for a DHS bus, 20 minutes. Most of the time, the buses were waiting for us. Even at closing, the longest wait was 20 minutes. Not worth several hundred dollars for a rental car IMO.

I'm glad that worked out for you, but whenever we've gone with other people they leave the same time we do and they end up taking a bus because they don't want to rent a car. We leave at the same time and it's almost always about 20 minutes or more before they ever get back to the resort. More often than not we already swimming first.

StarWarsGirl

I'm glad that worked out for you, but whenever we've gone with other people they leave the same time we do and they end up taking a bus because they don't want to rent a car. We leave at the same time and it's almost always about 20 minutes or more before they ever get back to the resort. More often than not we already swimming first.
I understand why they don't. Rental cars aren't cheap. Personally, I'd rather just take the bus and spend the money on something else than waste money on a car. But then again, we also can usually walk to Epcot and DHS because our home resorts are BWV and BCV. That, I can almost guarantee, is faster than driving.

Only time I would have liked a car is the time my phone broke on vacation and I had to take a cab off property to get a new one...haha.

G00fyDad

I understand why they don't. Rental cars aren't cheap. Personally, I'd rather just take the bus and spend the money on something else than waste money on a car. But then again, we also can usually walk to Epcot and DHS because our home resorts are BWV and BCV. That, I can almost guarantee, is faster than driving.

Only time I would have liked a car is the time my phone broke on vacation and I had to take a cab off property to get a new one...haha.

Several of our friends swear by taking buses instead of renting a car despite the fact that we're always back to the resort far before them. They seem perfectly happy with it. And I don't disparage anyone for taking Disney transportation. If someone wants to take Disney transportation and it is completely their choice and their satisfaction. And honestly that's all I really care about believe it or not. I just want people to have a decent time at Disney instead of being miserable. :D

Speaking of being miserable, another pet peeve I have regarding Disney itself is the tight restrictions they have on what you can do and cannot do on a ride photo. My son and I went down the drop on Splash Mountain and grabbed ahold of each other like we were frightened and made a funny face. When we got off the ride they told us they were unable to show the photo because it looked like we were fighting with each other. Personally I think that's rather stupid. As long as we're not being vulgar who cares?

Another guest pet peeve I have would be guests that don't know what deodorant looks like. Ewwww.

StarWarsGirl

Speaking of being miserable, another pet peeve I have regarding Disney itself is the tight restrictions they have on what you can do and cannot do on a ride photo. My son and I went down the drop on Splash Mountain and grabbed ahold of each other like we were frightened and made a funny face. When we got off the ride they told us they were unable to show the photo because it looked like we were fighting with each other. Personally I think that's rather stupid. As long as we're not being vulgar who cares?
That was probably a CM who made a mistake. Google "weird Splash Mountain photos" sometime. They let a lot of stuff fly.

Flyersgirl17

I cannot stand when people do not use their manners. If you bump into someone, SAY EXCUSE ME!!!! If someone holds the door for you, SAY THANK YOU!! Flash photos on rides suck too. And the worst is people who try to squeeze in during the parades. if i've been waiting 45 minutes DO NOT try to shimmy in then hold your camera in front of my face for take a blurry picture. UGH-sorry rant over.

G00fyDad

I cannot stand when people do not use their manners. If you bump into someone, SAY EXCUSE ME!!!! If someone holds the door for you, SAY THANK YOU!! Flash photos on rides suck too. And the worst is people who try to squeeze in during the parades. if i've been waiting 45 minutes DO NOT try to shimmy in then hold your camera in front of my face for take a blurry picture. UGH-sorry rant over.

At Magic Kingdom we always watch the parade right in front of Pecos Bill's. For starters that's where the parade begins so it's over with in front of us first so we can get to another ride before the rest of the park finishes with a parade. Second it's got a little small stone wall that's perfect for sitting on. We have been extremely, extremely lucky to be able to get spots on that wall about 45 minutes before the parade starts every time we go. I know that one day our streak is going to end but I love sitting there to watch the parade because no one can sit in front of you. That doesn't mean people haven't tried. I've watched three families on one trip come and sit right in front of us on the walkway. A CM came along and told them they needed to move so they scooted back into our feet. Another CM came along and told them to move and the father in the last group that sat down looked up at the CM with a helpless look on his face and said "But we can't move back any farther." The CM told them they shouldn't have sat there to begin with and that they needed to get up and move. Two families got up to leave and another one actually had the gall to look at us and asked us to scoot over so they could sit down. There was no room to begin with but I wasn't going to budge. I just laughed at him. :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom