News Big Thunder Mountain to receive full retrack

Jayspency

In the Parks
No
If it helps I’m hoping that the retack will make Big Thunder a more enjoyable experience for me. I’m skinny with a small frame so I get tossed around easily. I like Big Thunder and Space Mountain but I tend to avoid them if I can because I walk away from them in pain.
I love that feeling. Its why I love space mountain. Yes I know I'm alone on this.

Jrb1979

If it helps I’m hoping that the retack will make Big Thunder a more enjoyable experience for me. I’m skinny with a small frame so I get tossed around easily. I like Big Thunder and Space Mountain but I tend to avoid them if I can because I walk away from them in pain.
That's what coasters are supposed to do. Flying off your seat is the best feeling ever.

James J

In the Parks
No
I'll be at WDW in less than 11 days. Who knew I would need to spend so much time in Frontierland?
  • Tiana: First time riding it
  • CBMJ: First time experiencing it
  • BTMRR: Ride it before it's taken down for more than a year
  • Visit TSI: Probably for the last time
  • Ride Liberty Belle (technically in Liberty Square): Probably for the last time
Also same for our trip in a few weeks!

C33Mom

I love that feeling. Its why I love space mountain. Yes I know I'm alone on this.
I have always loved being tossed around on BTMRR (we play a game I call “squish!” with our kids) but I really hate it on (WDW) Space Mountain. I think it’s a little less jarring if you know it’s coming.

Mr. Sullivan

Not to go too far off topic... but while we're on the topic of retracking... we all knew BTMRR would eventually get the full re-track, so now that that is confirmed... Space Mountain? I mean, it's 5 years older than BTMRR so the retrack must be coming eventually (and sooner rather than later)... right?
I think it will come eventually, and I think it will be independent of any sort of Tomorrowland overhaul. They did it at Disneyland and vastly improved the ride experience, and I think they'll do the same at MK. But I don't think they'll do it until they've got something of a similar stature ready to compensate for it being down.

esskay

I think it will come eventually, and I think it will be independent of any sort of Tomorrowland overhaul. They did it at Disneyland and vastly improved the ride experience, and I think they'll do the same at MK. But I don't think they'll do it until they've got something of a similar stature ready to compensate for it being down.
Would've thought tron would've been the best/only opportunity for a long time. Although I guess if they are planning a more significant update it migh be worth waiting.

Wishful thinking but they should really just ditch the whole ride, keep the building and build one that can actually make use of that space and isn't just a very generic carnival style wild mouse ride this time. I still maintain SpaceMountain gets far more love/hype than it deserves in its current state.

Jayspency

In the Parks
No
Would've thought tron would've been the best/only opportunity for a long time. Although I guess if they are planning a more significant update it migh be worth waiting.

Wishful thinking but they should really just ditch the whole ride, keep the building and build one that can actually make use of that space and isn't just a very generic carnival style wild mouse ride this time. I still maintain SpaceMountain gets far more love/hype than it deserves in its current state.
I think the jerky wild mouse esc coaster style is what makes space mountain so charming though. I also feel like if threy were to redo the track with a modern coaster it wouldn’t stand out as much from Tron next door.

osian

That's what coasters are supposed to do. Flying off your seat is the best feeling ever.
Well, indeed. A lot of roughness can be attributed to poor design and/or age, but generally speaking the forces you feel are deliberate. Airtime is designed-in. Lateral forces (insufficient banking) are designed-in. Being thrown side to side is designed-in. Big Thunder especially has lots of tricks. I certainly hope they don't edit those out.

Unless of course it's an Arrow multi-inversion when they have no idea how it'll turn out.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, indeed. A lot of roughness can be attributed to poor design and/or age, but generally speaking the forces you feel are deliberate. Airtime is designed-in. Lateral forces (insufficient banking) are designed-in. Being thrown side to side is designed-in. Big Thunder especially has lots of tricks. I certainly hope they don't edit those out.

Unless of course it's an Arrow multi-inversion when they have no idea how it'll turn out.
If lateral whiplash is a design element, then all the new coasters surprisingly avoid it: 7DMT, TRON, GotG:CR, and SDD.

At least, with BTMR, you can see where you'll be thrown roughly to the side and can lean away from it. Can't do that on Space Mountain with surprise spinal injuries.

The coaster that lives under the dome of Space Mountain is simply a poor coaster that you can find in most small parks. It's due for a new and *good* coaster.

And better in-the-dark FX.

Jrb1979

If lateral whiplash is a design element, then all the new coasters surprisingly avoid it: 7DMT, TRON, GotG:CR, and SDD.

At least, with BTMR, you can see where you'll be thrown roughly to the side and can lean away from it. Can't do that on Space Mountain with surprise spinal injuries.

The coaster that lives under the dome of Space Mountain is simply a poor coaster that you can find in most small parks. It's due for a new and *good* coaster.

Get Premier Rides to redo Space Mountain. You can get a spaghetti bowl coaster in its place. A launch of 60 MPH with 4 inversions. Add some special effects and you're all set.

Raineman

And what if I said it always was

Don’t yell at me, I’m mostly joking, but it is definitely my least favorite land in the park.
I've always liked it, but maybe mostly for the vibe/atmosphere/ambiance. And for BTMRR. And the 2 times I got to ride Splash when it wasn't being refurbed.
Fixed that. Rode it last month. The show quality is frankly shocking now.
Are there any of the projected stars/nebula that are still visible? Or is SM just a coaster in the dark now? I know the last time I was at MK 5 years ago, I saw a couple of shooting stars but thats it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've always liked it, but maybe mostly for the vibe/atmosphere/ambiance. And for BTMRR. And the 2 times I got to ride Splash when it wasn't being refurbed.

Are there any of the projected stars/nebula that are still visible? Or is SM just a coaster in the dark now? I know the last time I was at MK 5 years ago, I saw a couple of shooting stars but thats it.
Most of the animated projections were missing. Those that were there were stuck. Barely any stars, those that were there were also stuck in position. Lights missing / broken on the lift hills. Even the questionable light fx installed with the 2009 photo op were incomplete.

Bocabear

I will agree wholeheartedly about needing upgraded and replaced effects, but the coaster layout is absolutely NOT a coaster you can find anywhere else. It may have some elements that might remind someone of a "wild mouse" coaster, but the weaving of the two tracks is absolutely brilliant... Maybe bank some of the curves a little more, add a new fast lift system like most other coasters have nowadays...and lots of new effects... Bring back all the stars, properly timed sound effects (reentry tunnel I am looking at you!)... Spend the money and put the speedramp back and give us new show scenes....Even if they are reused from Horizons... Same with the Peoplemover... The few show scenes along the ride desperately need to be replaced...Something new and fresh....and the entire indoor portion within Space Mountain needs to be treated as a show building, not a dark tunnel... The brilliant thing about the Peoplemover was it gave you previews of the other attractions in Tomorrowland....Most of the windows are now blacked out... Peoplemover needs some creative love. It is amazingly popular and loved by most.

aladdin2007

I will agree wholeheartedly about needing upgraded and replaced effects, but the coaster layout is absolutely NOT a coaster you can find anywhere else. It may have some elements that might remind someone of a "wild mouse" coaster, but the weaving of the two tracks is absolutely brilliant... Maybe bank some of the curves a little more, add a new fast lift system like most other coasters have nowadays...and lots of new effects... Bring back all the stars, properly timed sound effects (reentry tunnel I am looking at you!)... Spend the money and put the speedramp back and give us new show scenes....Even if they are reused from Horizons... Same with the Peoplemover... The few show scenes along the ride desperately need to be replaced...Something new and fresh....and the entire indoor portion within Space Mountain needs to be treated as a show building, not a dark tunnel... The brilliant thing about the Peoplemover was it gave you previews of the other attractions in Tomorrowland....Most of the windows are now blacked out... Peoplemover needs some creative love. It is amazingly popular and loved by most.
They are going backwards with everything they do...I dont understand why they blacked out those windows, turned off the glowing effects, just everything has either been completely turned off or let go. Are we in business or going out of business, sheesh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom