Rumor Big Thunder Mountain to receive full retrack

SplashJacket

Just to put it out there, if y'all EVER see me post a new rumor, this was literally me coming up with that "rumor" (I have no inside sources... just wild conjectures...)

Always Sunny Reaction GIF
Don’t worry. You’d fit in with 90% of the current “insiders” people are posting about.

Fido Chuckwagon

Because it isn't 1980 anymore. There are more safety regulations and standards, construction takes more time, testing takes longer, and there are more inspections. They need to do things safer to 2024 standards, not 1980 standards. They need to do it to American standards, not Chinese standards.
Also worth pointing out that BTMRR (at DL not WDW) is one of the few Disney attractions to have actually killed someone due to a ride malfunction, so I’m also ok with them taking their time on the retrack.

MerlinTheGoat

I believe DL’s complete retract took 18 months. I would assume MK’s will take as long. I also assume the ROA will need to be drained.
I don't think the river would NEED to be drained necessarily. As far as i'm aware, they had the river filled and boats operating at least during later stages of construction in 1980 after the core foundational work was done. Might have been drained earlier on when they started, but for a retrack I don't think it would be mandatory.

mk_20120427_1861854314.jpg-nggid0281-ngg0dyn-1600x1071x90-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

mk_20120427_1434823118.jpg-nggid0282-ngg0dyn-1600x1075x90-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

There are only two turns in the track that protrude out onto the water at all. And I don't think they actually touch the water, the supports still seem embedded into the foundation on dry land. If they needed those areas to be dry though, they could probably just put up some temporary water dams around these turns to create a dry barrier without impacting the rest of the waterway. As they have done before when working on individual areas of the riverboat track and trench without needing to drain the entire thing.

Not that i'm assuming they won't drain it for other reasons possibly related to the Beyond projects. Incidentally, Disneyland's renovation was originally only supposed to last 11 months. I don't know why it was extended, I recall reading rumors that additional structural issues were discovered after construction began that they had to address. But i'm not sure if this was ever backed up by a reputable source.

KDM31091

I do wonder if the refurb/work on BTMRR will be another excuse to close the WDW Railroad. If not, the beyond project, if/when it happens, will almost certainly be an excuse. I'm mentally preparing to lose the train for several years again.

TrainsOfDisney

I also assume the ROA will need to be drained.
Why? I highly doubt that’s necessary. If anything a small dam built around the bridge.
Also worth pointing out that BTMRR (at DL not WDW) is one of the few Disney attractions to have actually killed someone due to a ride malfunction, so I’m also ok with them taking their time on the retrack.
Had nothing to do with track conditions or construction and everything to do with maintenance. The speed of the project has nothing to do with the safety.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Is there any belief that getting to "Beyond" would occur on a path to the west of BTMM (as opposed to a path on the eastern side along the ROAs)? It would make the path to TBA act as the primary path to "Beyond" as well with a left turn into the queue for Tiana and a right turn (past the restrooms) to the "Beyond". On one hand, it's an easy solution for getting you to the other side of the railroad tracks without a grade crossing and it could explain why the playground under the railroad tracks was removed (to allow for more guest foot traffic space), but you'd quickly run into the coaster tracks that go from BTMRR's station to the maintenance barn. On the other side of the ride, you need to cut pretty deep into the ROA to create a ~20-30' wide path (sufficient that it would impact the path of the riverboat). Moving the maintenance shed seems like the infinitely easier option, but do they really want all that guest traffic using that path under the railroad tracks? Either direction they go, you would think they start laying the groundwork for that NOW with this closure (either moving the maintenance shed or at least working on the parts of the coaster that go along the water (to prevent another closure if/when they modify the ROA... if that isn't done at the same time)... right?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom