Rumor Big Thunder Mountain to receive full retrack

ToTBellHop

Is this true though, really? Can anyone else confirm?

If all those rides are all really going to be closed and all construction starting before December, we are debating if we just push off this trip for a few years and do other trips while they build everything.
I haven’t heard this timeline but work has been deferred for awhile. It will need to happen sooner rather than later.

Delta-7

Is this true though, really? Can anyone else confirm?

If all those rides are all really going to be closed and all construction starting before December, we are debating if we just push off this trip for a few years and do other trips while they build everything.
I did hear from somebody who used to be a Big Thunder CM, on another forum, that it's scheduled to get new track and trains.

If new trains are true, then it's about time we get train cars that look more textured.

Disstevefan1

I had 2 sources come to me with this information within a short span of time. One, to protect their job, asked me not to share it, but the second said it was fine. It'll take nearly 3 years, and will result in a much smoother ride. It'll close likely in either July or early August with an announcement coming soon.
Three years is ridiculous!

MerlinTheGoat

To further elaborate on the Space Mtn thing, that ride was originally intended to receive a full track replacement in 2008. Over 16 years ago. This plan was canceled. In 2013, trim brakes were added to the ride that significantly slowed down the vehicles and reduce the amount of strain it puts on the now ancient track structure. An attempt to squeeze as many extra years of life out of it as possible. Even though again, it was already well past its "expiration date" years prior so to speak. While a different type of coaster, DL's Space is yet another attraction that received a retrack during 2003-2005 (due to dangerous conditions that nearly caused an accident).

Again, BTM definitely also needs a full track replacement ASAP. Other versions of the ride (one of which wasn't even as old as the others) got it years ago. But Space is in far more desperate need right now. Not only is it uncomfortable, but the brakes they installed back in 2013 actually ruin the thrill and made it even more uncomfortable.

It is plausible that BTM is in worse condition however. Moreso than it may appear or feel. It's an outside coaster, whereas Space is inside. So weathering is definitely an additional factor there. Not just general wear and tear from use. Makes it all the more absurd that this didn't happen many years ago though, especially that other versions in far less extreme climates got the work done first.

ToTBellHop

To further elaborate on the Space Mtn thing, that ride was originally intended to receive a full track replacement in 2008. Over 16 years ago. This plan was canceled. In 2013, trim brakes were added to the ride that significantly slowed down the vehicles and reduce the amount of strain it puts on the now ancient track structure. An attempt to squeeze as many extra years of life out of it as possible. Even though again, it was already well past its "expiration date" years prior so to speak. While a different type of coaster, DL's Space is yet another attraction that received a retrack during 2003-2005 (due to dangerous conditions that nearly caused an accident).

Again, BTM definitely also needs a full track replacement ASAP. Other versions of the ride (one of which wasn't even as old as the others) got it years ago. But Space is in far more desperate need right now. Not only is it uncomfortable, but the brakes they installed back in 2013 actually ruin the thrill and made it even more uncomfortable.

It is plausible that BTM is in worse condition however. Moreso than it may appear or feel. It's an outside coaster, whereas Space is inside. So weathering is definitely an additional factor there. Not just general wear and tear from use. Makes it all the more absurd that this didn't happen many years ago though, especially that other versions in far less extreme climates got the work done first.
But BTM will have a “new” E ticket next door soon. They can’t even consider closing Space until TRON is off VQ.

MerlinTheGoat

The original plan was to remove it but they also intended to remove GotG almost a year ago. No idea what’s going on with VQs now. They honestly need GotG off VQ next month…
Everyone has been fixating on the "but they've never had more than one VQ in one park at a time". But it will be interesting to see if that trend was an actual rule.

With Test Track going down soon, I also wonder if they'll just keep GOTG's VQ for as long as they can. Though i'm sure they're also craving that Lightning Lane money as well. It would be funny if they kept GOTG on VQ, but also added premium priced Lightning Lane to it as well...

pigglewiggle

Everyone has been fixating on the "but they've never had more than one VQ in one park at a time". But it will be interesting to see if that trend was an actual rule.

With Test Track going down soon, I also wonder if they'll just keep GOTG's VQ for as long as they can. Though i'm sure they're also craving that Lightning Lane money as well. It would be funny if they kept GOTG on VQ, but also added premium priced Lightning Lane to it as well...

It is LL. That's how we rode it.

ToTBellHop

They will need it on Genie, honestly.

Tha Realest

I had 2 sources come to me with this information within a short span of time. One, to protect their job, asked me not to share it, but the second said it was fine. It'll take nearly 3 years, and will result in a much smoother ride. It'll close likely in either July or early August with an announcement coming soon.
Checks out. MK finally recieves some expanded capacity so they had to do something to fix that.

In the Parks
No
Thanks for the scoop, but be careful sharing something that someone asked you not to, especially to protect their job. Not worth the risk, even if another source told you the same thing. My on-again, off-again source is not currently with the company but has contacts, so there's little risk at this point. Just something to be aware of! :)

PREMiERdrum

I'm taking this with a large grain of salt until others I trust confirm the news.
AFAIK new track and rollingstock is happening, though this timeline is a bit earlier than what I've heard.

The timeline as shared with me was 18 months for retrack and "show improvements," with another year or so of sitework. I don't believe the ride will be closed for the full 3 years, but rather that work in the immediate area will take that long.

Re: SM vs BTM being retracked first. Space indeed needs it, but BTM's condition is visible to guests. It sounds like SM could go down as soon as BTM comes back online, if not sooner.

The thing about deferred maintenance...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
AFAIK new track and rollingstock is happening, though this timeline is a bit earlier than what I've heard.

The timeline as shared with me was 18 months for retrack and "show improvements," with another year or so of sitework. I don't believe the ride will be closed for the full 3 years, but rather that work in the immediate area will take that long.

Re: SM vs BTM being retracked first. Space indeed needs it, but BTM's condition is visible to guests. It sounds like SM could go down as soon as BTM comes back online, if not sooner.

The thing about deferred maintenance...

Well, that all will be at least $1 billion of that $17 billion that Bob said will be spent at WDW. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom