Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

CoffeeJedi

Anyone know the actual name of the closed-down runaway mine train ride at Wildwood NJ?

I wonder, what was the first coaster to have that theme? Granted, BTMRR does it better than any other, but what was the original?

darthjohnny

Many inexperience Disney people refer to Big Thunder Mountain as Runaway train, just like they call Spaceship Earth "The Big Ball" and Space Mountain as sometimes "The Rockets"

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
mrtoad said:
Never was. Great Adventure has a coaster called the Runaway Train, but BTMR was always that.

Thats what I was going to offer. Probably a lot of confusion by the NJ/NY/PA guests that call it that while at WDW based on the Great Adventure ride.

tracyandalex

i could swear that it used to be called runaway train. for years my family called it that (my parents still call it that). i noticed the big thunder name when we went in 2003. are you guys sure it was never called that? wow, i'm kinda shocked right now

tracy

Madison

CP17 said:
Six Flags over GA has a "run away mine train"

Tons of parks have rides that are similar in style and theming, but none but that at Gillian's is actually named "Runaway Mine Train," as it were. Georgia's ride is the Dahlonega Mine Train and is, in many ways, the predecessor to rides like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. In other ways, it represents the second generation of rides following Disneyland's Matterhorn Bobsleds, as The Dahlonega Mine Train was the third tubular-railed steel roller coaster ever built.

coffeejedi said:
Anyone know the actual name of the closed-down runaway mine train ride at Wildwood NJ?

This is the Golden Nugget Mine at Dinosaur Beach.

Also, just to stir the pot some -- Disneyland Paris' ride is named just Big Thunder Mountain, leaving off the Railroad designation altogether.

fredtom

I don't believe BTMRR ever had another name. However, the ride experience was described in the guides and promotions as being aboard a runaway mine train. I think this is what has many confused.

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :lol:

mrtoad

tracyandalex said:
i could swear that it used to be called runaway train. for years my family called it that (my parents still call it that). i noticed the big thunder name when we went in 2003. are you guys sure it was never called that? wow, i'm kinda shocked right now

tracy

No, it's name has never changed.

mrtoad

CoffeeJedi said:
Specific names can be hard for "part time" guests. I've had people ask me if i liked "The Haunted Elevator" at MGM! :lol:

People are silly.

Now I do have to add that my daughter who is 5 told me when we went to LBI a few weeks ago that at the small park Fantasy Island she wanted to ride the Wheely Thing. Wheely Thing = Ferris Wheel.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Madison said:
Also, just to stir the pot some -- Disneyland Paris' ride is named just Big Thunder Mountain, leaving off the Railroad designation altogether.
Indeed. In Europe, we call them Railways. Big Thundermountain Railway dosn`t sound the same. Plus in certain European countries a mountain railway can also be a cable car / funnicular railway. Confused yet?

CoffeJedi said:
Could you clarify please? The railroad went through it, but it didn't cross the tracks?
Sure. The WRE would have run upto and included the railroad track - which looks like it would have run inside the edge of the show building as opposed to through the middle of it. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom