Big reduction on Annual Passholder discounts at Walt Disney World mini-golf courses and boat rentals

ryguy

I have been thinking for a few years now that Disney really doesn't want AP's they would rather have locals buying these 6 month window 3 and 4 day tickets. Disney has no real desire to reward those who frequent a lot. I am sure the hope and plan is to keep watering down the benefits to steer people away.

This is another example for those of us who have been going to Disney for the last 30 years see how things keep devolving. Is Disney World great-Yup, Is it better now than 25 years ago-Nope.

tomu570

I'm sure at some point the mini golf course will be bull dozed for other resorts. I'm not sure how many guests they get per day but raising the cost to AP holders certainly won't increase the gate.

hokielutz

This may take the incentive away from visiting the mini-golf courses. going from saving $8 a round to only $2 is not going to break the bank.... but it may cause fewer AP holders to play a round.

jakeman

I'm sure at some point the mini golf course will be bull dozed for other resorts. I'm not sure how many guests they get per day but raising the cost to AP holders certainly won't increase the gate.
Or the gate is already above whatever threshold they have set so there is no need for a discount to attract guest.

pmaljr

We used the mini-golf once and it was a nice perk, nothing to go ape-crazy over losing that bigger discount if that were the only thing that was being lost and the prices weren't going up for the pass ...

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I have been thinking for a few years now that Disney really doesn't want AP's they would rather have locals buying these 6 month window 3 and 4 day tickets. Disney has no real desire to reward those who frequent a lot. I am sure the hope and plan is to keep watering down the benefits to steer people away.

This is another example for those of us who have been going to Disney for the last 30 years see how things keep devolving. Is Disney World great-Yup, Is it better now than 25 years ago-Nope.
Like every other type of guest, Disney wants APs, but want to make as much money from them as possible. Out in Cali, they decided, apparently, that they could make more money by raising the price of APs substantially, which they did last year (or the year before -- I'm getting old), along with reducing some of the benefits. At WDW, they've been reducing some of the benefits, but with smaller price increases.

PhilharMagician

@ $14.00 +tax for 10 and older, that is pretty pricey. We used to hit the courses every trip and of course use the 50% discounts which certainly made a difference for a family.

Every time we have been to the courses it has not been that busy. Maybe once we had to wait for another group to be able to start but typically just tee up and go. I would think that the discount is needed to keep the courses busy. The same goes for the boat rentals. I have never seen a line of people waiting to rent a boat, but there are always boats lined up waiting for guests to rent. To me the boat rentals seem like a loss center for money.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
This may take the incentive away from visiting the mini-golf courses. going from saving $8 a round to only $2 is not going to break the bank.... but it may cause fewer AP holders to play a round.

Or the gate is already above whatever threshold they have set so there is no need for a discount to attract guest.

Exactly. My sense (from observation mostly) is that the mini-golf courses are actually doing reasonably well, and Disney doesn't feel the need to provide as many discounts.

note2001

The Magic Band tag they give to AP holders are more than enough perk. Pure magic.
Don't get me started on how they waste money.

Incentive to try/use something is exactly what the perks were about. Discounts for shopping have always been about trying to get us to buy more, Discounts on experiences is about getting us to try them, and spread the word. Apparently enough folk have been mini golfing these days they don't feel the need to offer such a large discount. I have never been over there, but with a 50% discount, every time I saw that I would think how much we should try it (until I remember how boring it gets by the 4th green ;) )

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
My kids were into renting the small watercraft every summer over the last few years. I don't recall ever getting 30% off with my AP at the marinas (maybe 20%), and I'd ask every time which discount gave the best (DVC, AAA & AP) I'll have to pull out the old pile of receipts I know I have around here someplace to see what they did give me.

Update: My daughter was the one who gave them her card last summer and as she recalls, between the three the discounts were 15% (AP) 10% (DVC) and 10% (AAA)... so no changes there within the last 6 months.
I'm basing it on this from 2014.

marina-discount-ap.jpg

yedliW

I didn't realize there was a discount when we had AP last year.. If I did, I may have played.. I like playing mini golf.. but I can play mini-golf at home.. are the Disney courses better? probably (I've never played them, so I can't be sure, but I would imagine they are..) but when we go to Disney, we are there for the parks.

When I travel, I don't like to do things I can do at home (i.e. I won't eat at restaurants I can eat at back home..).. otherwise, what's the point of traveling? :)

WDWFan_Boston

I guess this saves me money. Now I'll go back to not spending ANY money at Disney on my visits. I used to have a bit of fun playing Golf, but now I'll skip it. You don't give me a food or drink discount and you lower my merchandise and amenities discount, you lose my money. I'll pay for the parks and not a dime more.

The problem is, they know that, although you surely mean that now, it's unlikely once you get there. And even if you hold firm with your resolve, there'll be plenty of others who will end up ponying up the few extra bucks, whether we like it or not. Disney will keep pulling in money hand over fist just like before.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Agree

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
We enjoyed the discount on mini golf and are less likely to partake without the discount, so that is unfortunate.

However, I don't see any reason for name calling nor is it any approximation to robbery.

We've always done the simple math of number of days projected to spend in the park versus the various ticketing options every year to see if an AP is worth is. I've never factored in discounts.

Elitest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom