Big reduction on Annual Passholder discounts at Walt Disney World mini-golf courses and boat rentals

TheRabbit

My fiancee and I are young. I'm 25, she's 24. We have APs and this was our absolute favorite non-park thing to do. We'd go after a day at the parks around 10 or so at night and there would be virtually no one there. We'd grab a beer (they sell them at Winter Summerland!) and shoot a round of golf. It was awesome and the best way for just the 2 of us to spend downtime together on vacation.

We went in the second week of January and I was not pleased at all with the loss of the discount. While we won't discontinue our passes because of this, it's definitely money we won't spend again. It's a shame, too. If I were a business person, I'd much rather make $14 plus the cost of 2 drinks than $0 over a silly thing like a discount.

Quality will out? *Sigh*
Congo River Golf just got a whole lot more business

AMartin767

It's kind of funny listening to everyone complain about the stupid little things Disney takes away from the AP's. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the purpose of buying an AP the fact that it is DISCOUNTED ADMISSION TO THE THEME PARKS? Even the Premium AP breaks down to $57.43/month. So even if you go to 1-park per month, you are still getting over a 36% discount on the admission alone. Factor in the regular or seasonal AP's, and it's an even higher percentage off admission price, while every other guest is paying FULL ADMISSION to the parks. The perks are an added bonus and people should be grateful for any discount beyond park admission. No matter how much people want to argue it, Disney is ALWAYS going to make more money off of regular guests than annual passholders and non-AP's will always be their target market.

While it is true that Disney will, in most cases, make more profit total from regular guests, the point that should not be missed is that Annual Passholders will visit the parks more often in an year. They are spending less per visit which is EXACTLY why you want to offer incentives to Passholders while visiting to encourage them to spend the difference in residuals. Disney provides these small incentives as loss-leaders to collecting more in residuals from them. For example, if I am offered a discount to Winter-Summerland, I am likely to purchase foods and/or drinks and possibly some sort of souvenir while there. Disney makes a larger profit margin on these items than they do on the ticket to play. Also, it's quite likely that I am not going to go alone, in fact, if i'm a passholder, i'm likely to be a local. This means I might be not only bringing another passholder (more residual profits) or even a friend or family member who isn't a passholder (full profit on tickets and food/souvenirs.

If I am local, (likely a passholder), then attractions like the mini-golf are more familiar for me (ie. I'm more likely to take them for granted) therefore, I have less incentive to go. If I have no incentive to go at all, or very little, then I don't go, I don't bring anyone with me and now Disney has lost ALL profit opportunity.

That is why Disney should not cut down or out these small incentives to passholders.

Last edited:

sjhym333

It's kind of funny listening to everyone complain about the stupid little things Disney takes away from the AP's. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the purpose of buying an AP the fact that it is DISCOUNTED ADMISSION TO THE THEME PARKS? Even the Premium AP breaks down to $57.43/month. So even if you go to 1-park per month, you are still getting over a 36% discount on the admission alone. Factor in the regular or seasonal AP's, and it's an even higher percentage off admission price, while every other guest is paying FULL ADMISSION to the parks. The perks are an added bonus and people should be grateful for any discount beyond park admission. No matter how much people want to argue it, Disney is ALWAYS going to make more money off of regular guests than annual passholders and non-AP's will always be their target market.

While I understand what you're saying I think the premise is a little off. It is not that Disney said: here is your discount tickets and then on occasion we are going to throw some extra stuff in too. Annual Passes are sold by Disney with a clear group of inclusions when you buy that include: park admission, parking (on some), a certain group of discounts and such. Disney over the past several years has decreased the things that they include in an annual pass. And in the case of many of us has changed the terms of agreement mid-year in our one year agreement. For some that diminishes it's value. Some AP holders buy into the whole package, not just the park admission. At the end of the day each of us determines if and what the value is in purchasing an AP.

One last thought. Yes AP holders do get a nice discount in terms of admission (though some would argue that an AP is an major expense), but when my AP expires and since I am not renewing, the chances of me buying a single or multi-day ticket is nil. So in the end Disney will not only not get my AP renewal money but will also not get any money that I spend in the parks or at other experiences on property.

note2001

Erm, Yes but some things like AP's are bought SPECIFICALLY for the perks, Otherwise why would people buy them or Club 33 memberships...

What perk are you referring to that anyone would buy an AP for over an ordinary pass? If it's for savings on a room (that in my opinion they offer too late for planning) I might agree with you, but then we come to my point where that perk was used instantly to recover the costs ( AP savings on room + ordinary pass price > cost of the AP, good use providing the same could not be found through other discounts.)

Other than instant savings, I don't understand why anyone would look at an AP purchase from any other angle than saving money on admission per visit. That's the concept of an annual pass. Over the years I've used the discount perk, knowing that if they chose to take it away all together I'm still saving money over what I would have spent buying separate passes for each of our visits.

sjhym333

What perk are you referring to that anyone would buy an AP for over an ordinary pass? If it's for savings on a room (that in my opinion they offer too late for planning) I might agree with you, but then we come to my point where that perk was used instantly to recover the costs ( AP savings on room + ordinary pass price > cost of the AP, good use providing the same could not be found through other discounts.)

Other than instant savings, I don't understand why anyone would look at an AP purchase from any other angle than saving money on admission per visit. That's the concept of an annual pass. Over the years I've used the discount perk, knowing that if they chose to take it away all together I'm still saving money over what I would have spent buying separate passes for each of our visits.

You really don't need to understand. People buy AP's for many different reason. You may not care about the extra's that an AP offers but others do.

AMartin767

My fiancee and I are young. I'm 25, she's 24. We have APs and this was our absolute favorite non-park thing to do. We'd go after a day at the parks around 10 or so at night and there would be virtually no one there. We'd grab a beer (they sell them at Winter Summerland!) and shoot a round of golf. It was awesome and the best way for just the 2 of us to spend downtime together on vacation.

We went in the second week of January and I was not pleased at all with the loss of the discount. While we won't discontinue our passes because of this, it's definitely money we won't spend again. It's a shame, too. If I were a business person, I'd much rather make $14 plus the cost of 2 drinks than $0 over a silly thing like a discount.

Quality will out? *Sigh*

^^^ This is a perfect example of the point I made in my post above.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
While I understand what you're saying I think the premise is a little off. It is not that Disney said: here is your discount tickets and then on occasion we are going to throw some extra stuff in too. Annual Passes are sold by Disney with a clear group of inclusions when you buy that include: park admission, parking (on some), a certain group of discounts and such. Disney over the past several years has decreased the things that they include in an annual pass. And in the case of many of us has changed the terms of agreement mid-year in our one year agreement. For some that diminishes it's value. Some AP holders buy into the whole package, not just the park admission. At the end of the day each of us determines if and what the value is in purchasing an AP.

One last thought. Yes AP holders do get a nice discount in terms of admission (though some would argue that an AP is an major expense), but when my AP expires and since I am not renewing, the chances of me buying a single or multi-day ticket is nil. So in the end Disney will not only not get my AP renewal money but will also not get any money that I spend in the parks or at other experiences on property.

^^^ THIS ^^^

The AP is a PACKAGE which includes discounts and admission for an up front fee, Once again the old TDO bait-n-switch. Disney is free to change terms - If they had changed terms for new purchases and renewals I'd have a hard time getting excited about this. By doing this they sucked much of the value out of the AP for those of us who renew mid-year.

I personally used the boat rental, The mini-golf was nice but there are better courses locally and they are 6-8 bucks but with the cuts I will be using neither. Disney's boat rental is EXPENSIVE and with the discount it was barely worth it - without well family has a bunch of boats on a local lake so I don't need to pay Disney to mess around in boats I just will not be doing it at Disney.

I'm equally sure someone ran the numbers and found for their BU they would have a small but measurable increase in the bottom line if they cut the discounts for the AP holders, This is a knock on effect of running WDW as a group of competing fiefdoms rather than a 'resort' as the activities become more and more expensive fewer and fewer people take advantange of the activities.

With all the price increases the Marina's are pretty much dead these days because price has exceeded perceived value for most guests not ALL of course but most and I think if you asked the average guest what the boats were for they will say for 'Rich People'.

Years ago I used to need to increase my 'Resort Limit' for room charges, with the reduction in quality and variety in the offerings for a 10 day trip DW and I are spending $600-800 max. largely because there are few things WE WANT to buy.

Last edited:

raven

Going round & round with my roomate on this issue. He just completed training for his new role in DVC sales and has obviously been "Drinking the Kool Aide."

Didn't Disney build the mini-golf, additional shopping areas, bowling alley, sports complex and other on-site additions to keep their guests on property? Orlando area has built up so much and was pulling Disney guests away and Disney responded by building more things for their guests to do.

The lack of people using the water craft and mini-golf in the past several years has proven that they fail to produce what they planned. Now this?

So here is what I am seeing. Disney has an increasing problem with guest capacities in the parks. They are expanding the hub area, making an alternative route around Main Street, increase prices to ward off guests in a certain income bracket, rework the FP system so you are only allowed a certain number of them per day (plus limit what attractions you can do), etc. cutting discounts at the recreational facilities only puts people back IN the parks and the capacity goes up. That's a fail if you ask me.

Also, there are countless mini-golf places on I-Drive and 192 that are WAY better than the Disney ones. And with Groupon you can practically go to them for a few dollars.

My point is, why all of this change in the past few years? To potential guests worldwide it looks like America's Top Greedy Corporation.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In short - to show Wall St - that the parks are more 'successful' than ever, I'd love to see a few analysts visit WDW unannounced and experience the parks as they are with no VIP guides etc talk to the average guest and CM, I think they would have a much different perspective on the P&R BU at TWDC than they have from the glossy preso's

sjhym333

My point is, why all of this change in the past few years? To potential guests worldwide it looks like America's Top Greedy Corporation.

That is an easy answer I think. My guess is that departments are asked for ways to increase their profitability as a business unit and the most recent AP discounts were easy decisions. In the long ago past there were people who looked out for the parks in the big picture sense. That is no longer the case. Now each area is it's own business unit and has to produce both in savings and increasing spending. That is true for every food, merchandise and even attraction area. It is all about maximizing profit. And since WDW is not hurting for guests who want to spend money on their product, they feel that is ok to diminish the AP packages they sell. My guess is if business was to take a dramatic turn for some reason (we have seen this before) Disney would be singing a different tune when it comes to passholders.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Dang that's pretty good, cheap entertainment. I've only been to the Winter/Summer Land one once and it was fun. Just never really ever found time for the mini golf.

I like Fantasia mini-golf a lot more than Winter/Summer Land, though the "pro" course (I think that's what it is called) is very difficult!

backinaction

That is an easy answer I think. My guess is that departments are asked for ways to increase their profitability as a business unit and the most recent AP discounts were easy decisions. In the long ago past there were people who looked out for the parks in the big picture sense. That is no longer the case. Now each area is it's own business unit and has to produce both in savings and increasing spending. That is true for every food, merchandise and even attraction area. It is all about maximizing profit. And since WDW is not hurting for guests who want to spend money on their product, they feel that is ok to diminish the AP packages they sell. My guess is if business was to take a dramatic turn for some reason (we have seen this before) Disney would be singing a different tune when it comes to passholders.
I wouldn't hold your breathe on that one. When was the last time attendance at disneyworld went down? 9/11?

note2001

So another site leaked that normal pass prices are going up by a small amount by mid-February and they're discontinuing non-expiring passes. I'm curious what will happen with the AP prices. (I had been weighing out buying an AP now verses waiting and upgrading a 5d PH at the gate on the next trip.)

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So another site leaked that normal pass prices are going up by a small amount by mid-February and they're discontinuing non-expiring passes. I'm curious what will happen with the AP prices. (I had been weighing out buying an AP now verses waiting and upgrading a 5d PH at the gate on the next trip.)

A price increase in Feb there's a real surprise, Earnings season is soon to be upon us

note2001

A price increase in Feb there's a real surprise, Earnings season is soon to be upon us
My issue with those prices going up right now is 3 out of 4 parks are under heavy construction, and that fourth had cuts to entertainment, innovations and rides. With gas prices dropping it would seem the prices of everything else should drop too. Silly me for trying to think logically again.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My issue with those prices going up right now is 3 out of 4 parks are under heavy construction, and that fourth had cuts to entertainment, innovations and rides. With gas prices dropping it would seem the prices of everything else should drop too. Silly me for trying to think logically again.

Yes we are indeed very silly for expecting logic to work in the land of the mouse who is experiencing a transformation into a RAT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom