Big Chicken

rjmagic16

Original Poster
I love Disney World to death go there twice a year but I don't like roller coasters and steep drops, My son is almost at the height requirement to go on all these rides so I must now make the sacrifice and go on them for his sake. (don't want him to be Chicken little lol)

I will be going to Disney World on Oct 10th and will attempt Splash Mountain. I have always said I would go on it but Chicken out. I also have to go on My first roller coaster The Goofy Barnstorm ( I know don't laugh Please)

It is getting hard not to go on all the cool rides Disney has out there now like Mission Space and with rides like Soarin coming.

So my question is have any of you ever been Scared of a ride went on it and loved it? and if any CM's are working Splash Mountain from Oct10th - 14th Hope to see ya.

Thanks

mkepcotmgmak

OMG, i honestly cannot believe you have never ridden splash. BIG DROPS get me too - but this one is not bad! I PROMISE... it is over as soon as it began, and the scenery/show aspect of this ride is WONDERFUL and a NOT MISS attraction! - you will be VERY PLEASED - warning though - i would not ride space mountain if you do not like coasters - it would prob. scare you and keep you from riding other great smooth going coasters - the only other coaster you should ride is big thunder - it is smooth and VERY gentle! and of course, goofy's barnstormer... lol - but no rock n rolelr coaster either! lol

meeko_33785

I usually am not a big Thrill Ride person- don't like coasters for the most part but I love Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, and Test Track, and Mission Space. They're really not that bad at all IMO. Space is OK, but kind of freeks me out a little. Barnstormer is actually the one I dislike the most. It's short but to me it's more scary than any of the others I mentioned. I think it's because it's like a normal coaster and there's no mountain or anything under the tracks and the ground. I've never done Rockin Roller Coaster and most likely don't intend on doing it in the near future. Hope that helps.

mkepcotmgmak

i wasn't going to mention ToT because someone who is afraid of Splash Mountain surely couldn't be talked into ToT, but in MY HONEST OPINION - ToT IS NOT BAD AT ALL! I HATE HATE HATE Freefall rides, and ToT is one of my fav. attractions! The attraction has great themeing (sp?) and a great storyline for a disney thrill ride! if you didn't know, the elevator does not just go all the way up, then drop - it actually moves horizontally across a track through a really neat atmosphere! and it doesn't drop from top to bottom - it goes down a little, shoots you back up, goes down again, goes up, and then finally drops to the bottom- now mind you it changes everytime, but i have never ridden it where the first drop is the whole 13 stories - the smaller ones REALLY get you prepared for the final drop - and it is over before you can blink ... this really is an attraction not to be missed!

About Test Track - this is FUN TOO! - if you have never ridden it, do so - it does not go upside down or anything like that - the big finale is just being in a car going 60 mph around the track outside - which you probably do everyday in your car anyway, so it isn't bad at all - the inside part of the ride is really cool - all the tests they put you through -

RockNRoller Coaster - if you have any thought of... should i ride this or not - DO IT! but if you are just TERRIFIED of it... then don't, i would hate for any ride to ruin your vacation - mind you the ride does accelerate EXTREMELY fast on your initial launch, but after that - all you hear is Aerosmith being pumped into the speakers in your car, and you really don't realize that you are on a coaster ... ok, maybe thats not totally true - and the ride does have inversions, but you really can't see them, and BARELY feel them because for the most part it is dark in the show building... but i would never encourage anyone who has a great fear of rides to ride anything they just absolutely will not ride because i was kind of 'forced' onto a ride when i was younger, and stopped riding coasters for years because the ride (UltraTwister Rollercoaster and Six Flags Astroworld) scared the CRAP out of me! lol -

I really hope you give some of these attractions a chance, Disney really did a great job with these rides - do it for your child, do it for yourself, do it for Disney... lol:lol:

Testtrack321

Well, try everything, but BTM isn't that bad compared to Splash. And also, M:S has NO drops ditto for Soarin. But I'd avoid ToT and RnR for since you don't like drops.

Walter

I know that this may sound weird, but WDW is what turned me into a thrill ride person as well as a WDW person. I was absolutely terrified of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster before I went on it, and I ended up being absolutely obsessed with it, and went through a phase where it was my favorite ride! My mistake was going on Tower of Terror on the same day, which abolutely terrified me the first time, but, I ended up doing it again later, loved it, and, again, I went through a phase where it was my favorite ride! Exactly the same thing happened with Space Mountain and Test Track. Test Track isn't scary at all. The only part that remotely makes it a thrill ride is wher it spins while going at about 65 mph. There is one tiny drop, but it's only about 10 feet. Splash Mountain is an absolutely terrific attraction, and the drop is not that bad. It's worth it. Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster are really higher level rides, when you feel that you're prepared enough to ride them, but, once you do, they're great. Space Mountain might scare you because it's kind of rough.

onecoolmama

DH hates roller coasters..he loves Space Mountain, Areosmith, test track, and BTM...he said the drop on splash mountain is very scary, but the ride is sooo cool..he sucks it up..but everytime we get up to the drop you can tell he is scared.

Test Track..that is the way he drives, so of course he loves that..He loves areosmith and again, this is the way he drives..and he likes corkscrews, he doesn't like drops..that is his fear of roller coasters.

Finally, I have done ToT everytime by myself.:cry: He won;t do it with me at all. I am going for the first time with my mom Dh and my kids (we have always gone without my kids until now) so I am hoping my mom will go on with me and DH can stay with the kids!:animwink: Here's to hoping!

Good Luck, no matter what roller coasters or no roller coasters, you will have a grand time!

foxfire

I had never done an upside-down roller coaster before Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. I went on it a few years ago and loved it, then went onto the Hulk & Dueling Dragons @ IOA. I'm a coster junkie now =p

Glasgow

Kind in mind that almost all rides at Disney have to be designed for parents and kids alike, so they're not going to be as intense as some other parks. I think once you can get yourself onto one of the rides, it'll be a snowball effect and you'll enjoy the rest of them

Katherine

I hate big drops to but Splash isn't bad. Try getting fastpasses though because then you'll have less time to think about it and chicken out in line. I love BTMRR and was hesitant to go on Splash but it is a GreAT ride. I'm planning on trying ToT, RnR and Space Mnt. then next time I'm in the world.

rjmagic16

Original Poster
Well I am going to suck it up and do Splash Mountain
and I really want to do mission space. As for ToT NEVER lol

I am glad to see that I may become a thrill ride person after all.
If you guys see someone sitting on a bench outside of Splash mountain crying it is just me:D

Dean[AU]

I was chicken the first two times to wdw.. then on xmas eve last year ... it was pouring real bad... so i thought ile do Splash -- its not like im gonna be wet.
I must of waited for like 80mins.. surrounded with "south of the boarder" guests i hit a "talk to your ride guests" language barrier.

Well i rode it.. talking to the riders infront of me:
Me: "This your first time?"
Them: "Yeah - we thought it would be more thrilling"
Me: "They leave that to the end"

After 2 momentry inride stops.. we did the splash.
ehe after the braking section a shouted out to all the onlookers "You have GOT to go on this ride"

I think that sums it up.

Im planning to go on all rides next easter :)

DDuckFan130

I remember the first time my cousin and I rode RnRC, my brother and sister were pretty small and freaked out so my cousin and I sucked it up and went in to "test it out"...when we went into the alley and saw the car screech into the darkness, well all I can tell you is that we kept doing signs of the crosses until we sat down :lol: when we sat down my cousin grabbed my hand and basically cut off all circulation...and I pretty much had a hard time breathing...but man was all that freaking out worth it...now that ride is my absolute favorite and we have to ride it at least twice every time we go! it's an awesome ride, plus you have aerosmith pumping out the speakers!...what can beat that?!

as far as roller coasters and thrill rides go i'd rate them in this order from scariest (or coolest hehe) to least scariest (or almost boring :lol: )...and simulation rides don't count lol

1. RnRC
2. ToT-I love that they have like a million drops now :lol:
3. Splash Mountain-basically cuz of the drop...I finally put my hands up once so I've overcome that fear...I think lol...I'm still kinda shaky about that
4. Space Mountain
5. Big Thunder Mountain
6. Test Track-this one below Thunder cuz it's not bad at all, it just goes fast, which many do on a regular basis right?

this is all arguable so some of you might feel otherwise about what I put so feel free to disagree :D

mrtoad

Originally posted by meeko_33785
I usually am not a big Thrill Ride person- don't like coasters for the most part but I love Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, and Test Track, and Mission Space. They're really not that bad at all IMO. Space is OK, but kind of freeks me out a little. Barnstormer is actually the one I dislike the most. It's short but to me it's more scary than any of the others I mentioned. I think it's because it's like a normal coaster and there's no mountain or anything under the tracks and the ground. I've never done Rockin Roller Coaster and most likely don't intend on doing it in the near future. Hope that helps.

Meeko said what I was going to say to you. Excluding Barstromer (which I have not been on), you have something right under you so it does not feel like you are high up.

I am terribly afraid of heights. For instance my wife and I once went to a carnival at a chuch near us and we went on a small ferris wheel. I was terrified the whole time.

But for the WDW stuff, you are either in the dark or have the ground with you at all times. Both Splash and Big Thunder the mountain is right with you. If you get nervouse look at the ground next to you, not forward. With ToT, Space Mountain and RnRC you are in the dark. I was terrified to do RnRC, I had never been upside down before. That ride is so smooth you will not believe it. I went right back on after the first one. It is one of the best rides I have riden before. ToT is a little scary, I grip the bar very tight. Of all that I have mentioned, Space Mountain scares me the most becuase it is jerky. I find it way scarier than RnRC.

In terms of what you should do (in my oppinion)

Big Thunder
Splash Mountain
RnRC
Tower of Terror
Space Mountain

That is the order I would put them with the least scary at the top.

Hope this helps.

cymbaldiva

My former best friend and her hubby had to literally drag me on TOT. I mean it sounded great in theory, but in reality I was terrified!

Anyway, after that first trip I felt the love for the Tower... now I'm hooked!

First, I must congratulate you for making the sacrifice for your son. When my wife was young, her mom didnt ride these rides either, and it affected her A LOT. She wouldn't ride anything!

After 1 year, she listened to me, and rode a coaster, and she loved it. She now says she missed out on some of the best coasters because of this!

A few coaster tips:

CLOSING YOUR EYES MAKES IT WORSE! When you close your eyes, you stress yourself out, you dont know where you are going to turn, and dont know what to expect. Its been proven that closed eyes, increase the tension & heart rate.

Open them, and enjoy. Think of how the hundreds of thousands of guests that ride these attractions a year, and how safe they really are.

Dont worry, and have fun.

Hey, you'll never know, maybe you'll turn into a coaster entusiast! :)

Pippa

I too was not really a Thrill ride person until I went to WDW but I am soooooo glad I decided to go for it!! A trip would not be complete without them!

Redvette

Other parks and carnivals that do not have the themeing, or magic, rely on sheer velocity and Gforces to attract their audiences. You should be afraid of those type rides at those parks, they can be brain scramblers, and stomach abusers. Disney does something else, they use themeing to tell a story, and this themeing intensifies rides, without the major gforces. If splash mountain were just a log flume with no mountain around it it wouldn't be very scary. Yeah it has one long drop, but it is pretty wimpy compared to the big drops in other parks. It is the fact that it looks like you are dropping into the briars, and you have scary music and Brer Foxes voice chilling you, that adds to the thrill. Space mountain is not a very challenging roller coaster, basically a medium sized wild mouse layout, but in the dark, with the asteroids shooting all around you, and the great sound effects, it is a wonderful ride. WDW does have two rides that are major league thrill rides in anyones book, Tower of terror, and RNRC are big time rides, but with the themeing they have, it is worth it to suck it up and go on them anyway, they are great rides even though they are so intense. Going to WDW and not experiencing these fabulous rides is a real waste.

SewIn2Disney

If you are afraid of big drops, someone gave me this advice (i think it was my mom or dad) when I was little and I do it to this day. Just before the big drop (and during) spell a long word (such as palentologist or precipitation) or say the pledge of alligiance on the way down. You'll be focusing on how to recite that that you won't be thinking about the drop.

Give it a try! It really works!

Joalovar

On a WDW trip in 1980 when I was 8, I rode Space Mountain with my mom and a CM forgot to put me my seatbelt (yes, back then, there wasn't safety bars in the rockets like today), my mom was terrified all the ride and of course it affected me. Since that day I avoided all types of roller coasters. Except for Splash M and ToT, for almost 20 years Space Mountain was for me the biggest of all my fears (believe or not!).

During a visit to the world in 2000 my wife (back then my girlfriend) convinced me to ride SM, I must say that I was very scared because my childhood experience. Finally I rode it and... what can I tell you, I've completely lost all kind of fear, in fact Space Mountain is one of favorites rides in WDW, in my last two visits I rode at least 2 or 3 times per visit.

Now I'm becoming a roller coaster freak, and the funny part is, now my wife is the one that chikens out with the thrill rides, can you believe that? :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom