Big changes coming to the Mexico Pavillion (RUMOUR)

Would you be sad to see GFT go.

• Yes.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • No.

Votes: 108 41.7%

• Total voters

Rosso11

I know this might sound crazy but is there any talk of actually adding a second ride to Mexico instead of just an overlay? They have over half of the expansion pad next door they could use for a second show building behind the Frozen meet and greet. I know this would be a drastic departure from what Disney has been doing in Epcot but if they really want to expand ride capacity this would be the route to take.

Mike S

On one other topic, if this does happen then I really hope they're NOT trying to cram in big crowds for it, for the reasons mentioned above. World Showcase works best in its current iteration with American Adventure serving as the big E ticket show, but with the other attractions sitting closer to C or D range. The infrastructure for longer lines simply isn't there right now, as best I can tell (and I'd be glad to be corrected on that). It was always why I was a little confused by earlier ideas to place a Mt. Fuji ride in the Japan pavilion, it's hard to see where the lines would fit well.
Mt. Fuji would've been in the back of the pavilion behind the fortress. I'm sure it would've been built with a proper queue that didn't spill into the rest of the pavilion.

Bacon

Original Poster
I know this might sound crazy but is there any talk of actually adding a second ride to Mexico instead of just an overlay? They have over half of the expansion pad next door they could use for a second show building behind the Frozen meet and greet. I know this would be a drastic departure from what Disney has been doing in Epcot but if they really want to expand ride capacity this would be the route to take.
No the only talk is to close Gran Fiesta Tour.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Kinda cracks me up how many people are so anti-Elena on here, honestly for those who don't go to the parks very often her presence is strongly felt among young girls and adults. I see more and more girls wearing her dress each time we go out to MK or any of the parks. Whether or not she has staying power is to be seen, but right now I would argue that she might just be the most popular princess among Disney's target age group. So I can't fault the parks for cashing in while its the hot thing.

But I would think the GFT would get the CoCo overlay, too strong of a connection with the current ride and pavilion. I would think they would just swap out Donald with the characters of the new movie, doesn't seem like it would be that hard. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. We always go on the Mexico boat ride whenever we're at EPCOT, never a wait and a nice ride to relax on, especially on hot summer days.

Meh. A few months ago we saw a real strong presence of Minnie Mouse taking form. My DD never was a princess type gal but she loved the Fab Five. Me, I'd rather have my picture taken with Olaf over Elsa. Far more whimsical and creative than another pretty pretty princess needing to be rescue. The storylines of most of the princess tales are as hardboiled-reminiscent of the Harlequin Romance novels of yesteryear that my Mom for whatever reason was equally attached to.

Adults getting attached to Disney Princesses and feeling their presence is a whole 'nother conversation. I don't mind Mexico receiving a more interesting attraction within the pavilion but Dear Lord can it be more original than a Princess theme. The FLE should have been enough for a long long time.
Oy with the Princesses already.

Princess Leia

Given the fact that the ride has always had a Dia de los Muertos scene in it, a Coco overlay would obviously be expected. Still, I haven't gotten to see the animatronics yet, so I'd be a bit bummed.

Honestly, if IPs must keep infiltrating World Showcase, I'd prefer if they went with a style of ride where the culture/country is the main focus, but the various characters show up to enhance the experience rather than dominate it. We've discussed in some threads on the France pavilion that if they had to include Disney characters in a new ride, rather than just slapping on a Ratatouille theme, why not integrate a lot of the different French characters in the Disney catalog to help emphasize different parts of the cultural experience (e.g. Beauty and the Beast characters popping up in the provinces, a sweeping view of Notre Dame and the surrounding area of Paris, etc.), rather than making the culture come second to the characters from the film?

I mean, I do kind of understand it: why throw in multiple IPs on one ride if you feel you can get multiple attractions out of them elsewhere. But, again, it'd be nice to see corporate telling the Imagineers to make sure that each park in Florida really felt different and unique from one another, and not just like alternate Magic Kingdom locations.

On one other topic, if this does happen then I really hope they're NOT trying to cram in big crowds for it, for the reasons mentioned above. World Showcase works best in its current iteration with American Adventure serving as the big E ticket show, but with the other attractions sitting closer to C or D range. The infrastructure for longer lines simply isn't there right now, as best I can tell (and I'd be glad to be corrected on that). It was always why I was a little confused by earlier ideas to place a Mt. Fuji ride in the Japan pavilion, it's hard to see where the lines would fit well.

...Speaking of which, if the IP march must go on, could we at least get a ride exploring Japanese culture designed with help from the good people at Studio Ghibli? They just played Spirited Away in theaters for its 15th anniversary, and Princess Mononoke is playing in January for its 20th, so it's really on my mind at the moment.
Ghibli would be great. Sometime this year, a (Non- Disney, I think) artist designed possible Ghibli rides, and they looked amazing.

Kman101

I'd think any one of us could have spouted off Coco was coming to the Mexico pavilion .... it seems almost too perfect for it

drizgirl

That makes sense. But lately everything Disney does seems to be very much tit for tat. I'd go so far as to say they like to close things early so they can say something new is coming while saving on not staffing the old attraction for as long as possible.

CdnDznyLuvr

He must be Cananadian. They add extra vowels everywhere.
You must mean "Canadian"

7dc4004f6f7d8425ef3ea8593db956dd.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom