Big changes coming to the Mexico Pavillion (RUMOUR)

Would you be sad to see GFT go.

• Yes.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • No.

Votes: 108 41.7%

• Total voters

andre85

Those are 40 year old animatronics. They look great in the ride, but they're not going to stop Disney from changing the ride.

Did they upgrade them at all? Because they look remarkably good and run smoothly. I looked up the original attraction videos (which granted, have terrible video quality) and the animation didn't look nearly as impressive then.

RSoxNo1

Why would this be different than Frozen?
For starters, Frozen opened the door (well, Finding Nemo and Honey I Shrunk the Kids opened the door) for IP attractions in Epcot.

The difference here is that Coco's plot focuses on a real life Mexican celebration/tradition in The Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos). There is little to nothing about Frozen that celebrates Norwegian culture. An argument could be made for the cartoonized trolls, architecture and wardrobes but that's more of a stretch. El Rio del Tiempo had references to Dia de los Muertos, and Gran Fiesta Tour retains some of those references. Coco is simply less of a stretch.

Similarly, Ratatouille celebrates French cuisine and would also be a better fit than Frozen. Of the three, I'd say Coco is the strongest fit for World Showcase.

Lets Respect

So if Frozen had taken place in Norway people would have been ok with it? If they built an Aladdin ride in Morocco would it be ok? Donald Duck is ok in Mexico right now? It all seems arbitrary to me

GiveMeTheMusic

So if Frozen had taken place in Norway people would have been ok with it? If they built an Aladdin ride in Morocco would it be ok? Donald Duck is ok in Mexico right now? It all seems arbitrary to me

While many fans would prefer World Showcase not include IP, if they're going to use animated films for attractions there, they need to be set in those countries, so yes, that is preferable. If Frozen had taken place in Norway the ride would be much more appropriate. Same for Aladdin. Donald is in Mexico because The Three Caballeros takes place partially in Mexico.

Lets Respect

While many fans would prefer World Showcase not include IP, if they're going to use animated films for attractions there, they need to be set in those countries, so yes, that is preferable. If Frozen had taken place in Norway the ride would be much more appropriate. Same for Aladdin. Donald is in Mexico because The Three Caballeros takes place partially in Mexico.

I hear your point 100%. For me fiction is fiction. Once they put fiction in there (Mexico, characters) the floodgate was opened, even if it took a long time.

Bocabear

It's actually quite simple: If Frozen had taken place in the actual Norway, then yes, I think there would have been far less discussion.
Aladdin does not take place in Morocco...so...not a good fit.
Rattatouille does take place in Paris, so yes a better fit...
Real Country based Pavilions should have characters that have something to do with the country represented...
re: Donald Duck in Mexico, the reference point was a Disney produced cartoon from 1942, a sort of animated travelogue of South America featuring Donald Duck... this one is a stretch to me... not a great fit.

GiveMeTheMusic

I hear your point 100%. For me fiction is fiction. Once they put fiction in there (Mexico, characters) the floodgate was opened, even if it took a long time.

Yeah, it's definitely a precedent. It'd be nice if Disney believed in the concept of Epcot and four distinct parks, but obviously they don't. At this point we can just hope they do a good job with whatever they shove in.

Kman101

Yeah i like when they do crap overlays on crap rides too.....

I didn't say anything about liking anything. You don't know the overlay will be crap. We may not even get an overlay. All I said was, at least they're thinking ahead instead of reacting after the fact. 20+ years for a Mermaid ride. A shoehorned Frozen attraction yers after the movie ...

matt9112

I didn't say anything about liking anything. You don't know the overlay will be crap. We may not even get an overlay. All I said was, at least they're thinking ahead instead of reacting after the fact. 20+ years for a Mermaid ride. A shoehorned Frozen attraction yers after the movie ...

All accounts point to reusing the existing ride system just like frozen....thus it can only be an overlay in any capacity. Aka crap. Than again people think frozen is a magnificent ride so who knows.

Kman101

All accounts point to reusing the existing ride system just like frozen....thus it can only be an overlay in any capacity. Aka crap. Than again people think frozen is a magnificent ride so who knows.

Look, I'm not defending it, LOL. You can feel how you want, and their history speaks for itself (Nemo, Fiesta). Just because you don't like something doesn't make it crap, or a bad ride. Even harsh critics of Frozen going into Norway (which I don't approve of, just so you are aware of that) have said the ride isn't actually bad, the animatronics are good ... it still didn't need to be shoehorned there. So ... try to keep an open mind.

And Coco would fit far better than Donald does. It's not the end of the world.

Have you ridden Frozen Ever After?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom