News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Monorail_Red_77

It does. After seeing it myself I can tell you that the location of the new DVC kiosk will sell you like never before.
or it could be a really big picture of a cup cake. I can see it now cupcake center. They had to repair the roof so that it would hold the giant cherry they are putting on top.:hilarious::banghead:

jaxonp

It's going to be this great place for DVC members to go and.. ohh wait, you're saying they already did that to another unused pavilion.. ohh WoL will now be used for runDisney expo center.

HauntedMansionFLA

It's going to be this great place for DVC members to go and.. ohh wait, you're saying they already did that to another unused pavilion.. ohh WoL will now be used for runDisney expo center.
It could be used to educate people on the benefits of exercise and generally taking care of yourself. I know they were shamed when the had information about obesity- most of their demographic that visit the parks (sadly)

Absimilliard

The current rumor for the Guardians roller coaster put it as a Vekoma roller coaster. If that is true, then it is amazing news.

Why? Vekoma currently has the most talented layout designer in the industry and I am very looking forward to see what he can pull given the rumored family coaster specs on the ride. Bill Watkins was the genius who had designed the WDW and DL Space Mountain layout and I want to see if Benjamin Bloementhal (the incredible designer at Vekoma) can beat Mr. Watkins glorious work.

trainplane3

The current rumor for the Guardians roller coaster put it as a Vekoma roller coaster. If that is true, then it is amazing news.

Why? Vekoma currently has the most talented layout designer in the industry and I am very looking forward to see what he can pull given the rumored family coaster specs on the ride. Bill Watkins was the genius who had designed the WDW and DL Space Mountain layout and I want to see if Benjamin Bloementhal (the incredible designer at Vekoma) can beat Mr. Watkins glorious work.
It's too bad Vekoma's taken their good old time to refine their train designs and to stop using the ever so prominent Arrow track design. EE was the first Vekoma I rode that convinced me they can make a smooth coaster.
well...
that's a rather dubious boast - basis for that claim?

werner stengel is semi-retired, but he's still working, btw
;)
Not nearly as "seasoned" but Alan Schilke is making some truly great stuff with RMC. He also can be partially blamed for killing Arrow. That can be a good thing, right?

Bender123

It's too bad Vekoma's taken their good old time to refine their train designs and to stop using the ever so prominent Arrow track design. EE was the first Vekoma I rode that convinced me they can make a smooth coaster.

Not nearly as "seasoned" but Alan Schilke is making some truly great stuff with RMC. He also can be partially blamed for killing Arrow. That can be a good thing, right?

RMC is just amazing with their Hybrid coasters...I will openly admit that I pretty much never get scared on a coaster, but Goliath (Great America) scares the crap out of me. Between the nearly 90 degree first hill, the flat upside down portions and the lack of shoulder restraints, its a real rush. I could ride it all day.

trainplane3

RMC is just amazing with their Hybrid coasters...I will openly admit that I pretty much never get scared on a coaster, but Goliath (Great America) scares the crap out of me. Between the nearly 90 degree first hill, the flat upside down portions and the lack of shoulder restraints, its a real rush. I could ride it all day.
I'm looking forward to Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point. All of their designs look like they were created during a company drinking contest. That's what makes them so great.

Bender123

I'm looking forward to Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point. All of their designs look like they were created during a company drinking contest. That's what makes them so great.

My...God...That first drop hill looks like the type of thing a drunk guy designs in his backyard...A flat 90 degree angle at 200 feet. I thought 85 at 160 was crazy. I need to ride that.

Absimilliard

As part of the original agreement back in the 1970's, Vekoma could use the Arrow track style and in exchange, they had to buy Arrow trains and components. This lasted until 1989 for the Looping Coaster, but parks still wanted to use Arrow trains even if Vekoma had designed their own looping coasters. Vekoma also built three "Swinging Turns" Suspended Coaster and as per the agreement to use the Arrow Suspended track style, those three opened with Arrow Suspended Coaster trains.

While all that was happening, in 1988, Vekoma came out with their own track and trains, the MK-700 and MK-900. The MK-700 features narrower track and used Bobsled style 2 person cars with a unique extendable lap bar to secure riders. The MK-900 was wider and used two across seats and both gave very smooth attractions. Werner Stengel office was even used to calculate the layouts on those.

img_2162.jpg

"Space Mountain" at Formosan Aboriginal Cultural Village in Taiwan. This is a 1992 Vekoma MK-700 very inspired by Space Mountain at Disney.

trainplane3

As part of the original agreement back in the 1970's, Vekoma could use the Arrow track style and in exchange, they had to buy Arrow trains and components. This lasted until 1989 for the Looping Coaster, but parks still wanted to use Arrow trains even if Vekoma had designed their own looping coasters. Vekoma also built three "Swinging Turns" Suspended Coaster and as per the agreement to use the Arrow Suspended track style, those three opened with Arrow Suspended Coaster trains.

While all that was happening, in 1988, Vekoma came out with their own track and trains, the MK-700 and MK-900. The MK-700 features narrower track and used Bobsled style 2 person cars with a unique extendable lap bar to secure riders. The MK-900 was wider and used two across seats and both gave very smooth attractions. Werner Stengel office was even used to calculate the layouts on those.

img_2162.jpg

"Space Mountain" at Formosan Aboriginal Cultural Village in Taiwan. This is a 1992 Vekoma MK-700 very inspired by Space Mountain at Disney.
I knew there was some sort of agreement in there but I didn't know the depth of it. Thanks for the short history lesson. It's nice to see that Vekoma is finally making some very good designs.

smile

His work on Lech Coaster, the upcoming Firestorm, Shockwave models and other things.

And on the Family Coaster side, he's also done this:

quality work, for sure...
still think it's a boast not quite fully earned yet, is all

if nothing else, he's certainly bringing respectability to vekoma's in-house layouts - not that it's difficult lol...
but seriously, first time i saw (haven't rode) lech i was surprised it was actually vekoma - very promising future for him and them at this rate... looking forward to it

i also thought vekoma's submission for the energylandia mega was actually the best one, which surprised me... do you know if he did that?

inatmin won that, btw - currently building hyperion

Absimilliard

I knew there was some sort of agreement in there but I didn't know the depth of it. Thanks for the short history lesson. It's nice to see that Vekoma is finally making some very good designs.

Thank you.

One thing to add is that the same thing regarding the Arrow trains is still happening. Vekoma has had those amazing new trains and track available for years now, but parks still requested the old models. A replacement for the rather rough Suspended Looping Coaster will debut in 2019 and it should finally put a rest to the SLC production.

smile

schilke's awesome and what he's doing with rmc is just phenom...
i'm half amazaed they do what they do at all with these conversions, but what they end up converting to is just as wowzers

sv'll be killer!

but, i'd have to disagree and say that he did not kill arrow...
they got leapfrogged, really - in a rush from overseas... but i still have a hard time saying the world is better without arrow in it

x was/still is great design - but it's widely publicized initial issues were hard to overcome... which is a shame considering, like we mentioned before, it's been a champ ever since.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom