News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Stripes

At this point with the limbo we're in regarding the Epcot projects (sans Energy/Rat), I think this is pretty much how I feel about things:
View attachment 267119
Time to go back to basics and polish the gem they already have. Expand on it's original mission statement. Do this overhaul correctly, with love for Epcot Center. Don't need to demolish parts or all of the Communicore buildings. Don't need massive changes. FW just needs corrections in the form of fresh paint, reduced foliage, opened up windows, tarps gone, etc.. Not that hard to figure out BOBS
With respect, it needs quite a bit more than that, imo. Architecturally, Future World as a whole has not aged terribly well. A few pavilions are in less need than others, but I'd be lying if I said any of them are in a more than satisfactory condition. The 80s architecture just doesn't do it for me anymore. A lot more glass, greenery, water, and fountains, replacing the horrendously maintained concrete that's there now, would do wonders for the area. The only concern I have with the proposal up top is how barren the Communicore area is. Communicore is ugly, and I don't think a new coat of paint would be sufficient. I'm interested in what those glass orb structures are near the WoC-esque fountains. They kind of look like the biospheres Amazon has built in Seattle. Perhaps adding some of those to the middle would help fill that gap. Generally speaking, I want Future World to look futuristic again, and from what I can tell, I really love the style they're going for in the top image.

I have a lot of respect for your opinion, but I have to say I disagree. I also feel bad because there's a lot of nostalgia in Epcot, and for a lot of folks that may be washed away. I guess we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

brb1006

It is a nice design, but i have my own self-drawn Figment inspired artwork -

'Heart of All Creation'
My original hand drawn / hand colored design drawn for Tony Baxter.
Drawn a couple of years ago, in honor of his 50th Anniversary of working for Disney.

Shown here as a pair of canvas prints ( he owns one of them ).
:)

image_zpssqlcskcx.jpeg

-
so-beautiful.gif

I'm not going to lie, I actually started to tear up seeing this. I seriously wish today's Disney (Especially ones at TDO and TDA) had more people like you that is this passionate with Imagineers and people who actually cared.

brb1006

Wow...I had no idea you drew! Nice! :eek:

No Star Tours?
I remember when @Figments Friend was at D23 2015 (The year Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge was first announcer) . He would write a post for each day showing what he experienced and made two to these sketches featuring Figment. Such as one drawing of Figment waiting in line. I need to hunt down that post sometime.

WDWTank

It is a nice design, but i have my own self-drawn Figment inspired artwork -

'Heart of All Creation'
My original hand drawn / hand colored design drawn for Tony Baxter.
Drawn a couple of years ago, in honor of his 50th Anniversary of working for Disney.

Shown here as a pair of canvas prints ( he owns one of them ).

image_zpssqlcskcx.jpeg

-
You need to be an Imagineer! :D

Figments Friend

Wow...I had no idea you drew! Nice! :eek:

No Star Tours?

Thank you Empress Lilly.
I did not include 'Star Tours' in the final design, as it looked too 'crowded'.
The four themed segments, with a center image of Tony & Figment , looked better to my eyes.

I DID however include a reference to 'Star Tours' in a earlier design i drew and painted onto a t-shirt.
Made this a few years ago...to wear when visiting Disneyland after Tony had 'retired'.
Cast loved it...as did the man himself when he finally saw it in 2015 -

BaxterlandT-shirtdesignSM_zps6353b6ce.jpg

-

The Empress Lilly

Thank you Empress Lilly.
I did not include 'Star Tours' in the final design, as it looked too 'crowded'.
The four themed segments, with a center image of Tony & Figment , looked better to my eyes.

I DID however include a reference to 'Star Tours' in a earlier design i drew and painted onto a t-shirt.
Made this a few years ago...to wear when visiting Disneyland after Tony had 'retired'.
Cast loved it...as did the man himself when he finally saw it in 2015 -

BaxterlandT-shirtdesignSM_zps6353b6ce.jpg

-
- An E-ticket in four different lands....Baxterland indeed!

- I never realised it before, but now that I see your drawing I notice a pyramidal weenie in Thunder, Splash, Indy. And of course Imagination. Plus the Star Tours logo is pyramid shaped. Maybe you noticed it unwittingly, maybe you did and exaggerated it in your drawing. (At some point in drawing class they teach a pyramidal composition in every classical painting. Your drawing has the exact composition of Gericault's Raft of the Medusa ). Either way, with or without your conscious awareness, it looks like we uncovered a Baxter special.

HauntedMansionFLA

- An E-ticket in four different lands....Baxterland indeed!

- I never realised it before, but now that I see your drawing I notice a pyramidal weenie in Thunder, Splash, Indy. And of course Imagination. Plus the Star Tours logo is pyramid shaped. Maybe you noticed it unwittingly, maybe you did and exaggerated it in your drawing. (At some point in drawing class they teach a pyramidal composition in every classical painting. Your drawing has the exact composition of Gericault's Raft of the Medusa ). Either way, with or without your conscious awareness, it looks like we uncovered a Baxter special.
So is Figment the weakest link with no E-ticket in that area?? The place is huge with lots of potential.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom