News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

DisneyGentleman

In charge of changes? I'd be fired before the end of the day for blowing the budget.

I wouldn't add that much. I'd just fix what is there and plus what's available.

Without going OT too much,

New entrance plaza
SSE finale
New Energy
Reopen Wonders as a suitable pavilion
Test Track finale with audio
Fix Imagination (both floors)
Finale for LwtL
New film for Harvest Theatre
Rid the canopies and fix the fountain and its audio system
Better place making and way finding
Reopen Odyssey
Put the Communicore back into Innoventions. New future proof exhibits and a dark ride. And open the windows again!
Swap out 20% of Impressions de France for new footage. That's all that's needed.
De clutter the promonade
Trim the foliage
Dark ride in Japan
Don't mention Norway or Seas.
Continue plussing RoE.
An eminently sane proposal.

Daveeeeed

it's a small world is a better fit in Epcot. It is the perfect attraction to bridge Future World and World Showcase. It celebrates children of the world and it debuted at a World's Fair. It is far more appropriate in Epcot than it is in Fantasyland.

The shortcomings of the rest of Magic Kingdom's attraction lineup aren't the motivation, but Fantasyland real estate is part of the motivation. If it's a small world is removed it opens a much larger area that can further address the capacity issues you just mentioned. As it stands right now, access to that land and improving that area requires moving it's a small world.

To double down here, I'd also recommend removing Tomorrowland Speedway and integrate a new version of the attraction at DHS integrated into Cars Land rock work and an east coast Radiator Springs Racers. Land in Fantasyland is the most valuable land in the entire resort and moving these two attractions further expands that real estate.
If you've read my other replies on the forums yu would know that I have said to relocate IASW to the north side of the speedway speedway like in Tokyo. They can shorten Whatever the river is called where the riverboat runs to connect Frontierland to Fantasyland. Tomorrowland could get a new ride between buzz and carousel of progress, while restaraunts, shops, and minor attractions could go between COP & SM, and also connected to The new show building for IASW. Then every building in Tomorrowland could get new exteriors to fit with the land as a whole. IASW would serve as a land boundary between them. Yu would not see the show building at all and because shops etc. would be connected at the back that would look like Tomorrowland. There could also be grass like the fields in the Movie Tomorrowland as you enter form Fantasyland. The rock work at the beginning of the land would be changed, and of course COP's exterior, and the peoplemover, so like I said everything. It would be an ambitious project, but this along with Froniterland expanded would mean MK wouldn't truly need a major expansion for 20 years, but a ride or two wouldn't hurt in that timeframe. Again your argument for IASW for the bridge to WS just doesn't work. Sure it represents the countries, but there is a ride very similiar to it at Mexico. MK needs high capacity attractions, it is a classic at MK, so people would be mad. the show building cannot go in the center, so the only place really is at Epcot's first aid building, but that serves its purpose well, and really is not worth the investment to move it there. I just couldn't imagine it there, would that area be then considered World Showcase and Not Future World? WS has country pavilions WS has pavilions of cars, the seas, space etc. would there be a boundary for the line of sight? How would it look for the fireworks? I mean I think it could work for WS, but it would be awful if you saw it from FW, not to mention where would First Aid go? Would there be restrooms alongside it? I see where you are going with this, and theoretically the could work, but it makes zero sense from removing it from MK. It would also look kind of odd kind of towards the back, but if you put it too close then the show building would be behind it, and disgusting a mega show building like IASW would not be cost effective at all.
I saw just leave it in MK, sure maybe relocate it within the park, but Epcot needs a billion things more than just moving a ride from another park. And like I have said before 5 Fantasyland have t, so Disney for sure thinks it works thematically. Also Fantasyland just isn't about fantasy, it is about the architecture, the style of ride, the music, the interior, exterior. I just think it wouldn't be wise at all. We need a 2400+ per hour attraction on top of new things that could go in MK. We do not need to lose it to Epcot, a park that already has many horrible walk on attractions that Epcot's money should be spent on to make them new. IASW has zero business in Epcot. The exterior in Paris looks beautiful and I could even picture it in advertisements for the park, but MK just has that nostalgia factor having it. Just leave it there, why continue to argue something that will never happen?

Daveeeeed

An eminently sane proposal.
It's a very possible and needed 5 year plan. They don't have to do it all at once like an overhaul, and instead take two years on the new stuff and then open them over a course of 5 years. The only thing I would mention too that I find very important is Updating the interior of the Land to look like the 21st century and not the 80's, and fix the walkways between SE and FW plaza, maybe with a small shop or something that looks like the future.
And if you want to go further as a very long term plan complete redlining of the seas, and change the rid out completly, to a sub ride with a sort of EMV technology except it is kind of on this telescope type system to simulate a submarine's movement; the ride could also very well feel like you are in a sub fully covered, so possibly some fish, could be projected on it. Last, but not least Future World East (Test Track etc.) needs to get an improvement on the walkways. Possibly some water would be nice, and maybe a quick service restaurant in TT? There could also be something else on that side of the park than just rides.

aaronml

So I have have some info to add to this... although I hope it is incorrect. Apparently WDI is currently considering relocating the entrance to SSE to the west side of the building as part of major plans to overhaul Epcot (mainly FW) in the next few years. I don't know much more than that, sadly. Of course, I am sure that many of the ideas that get proposed at WDI don't come to fruition (or even past Blue Sky), so I really hope that this one doesn't. Has anyone else heard anything that corroborates this? @marni1971 I know you tend to be in the loop regarding most things, in particular SSE, and so I'm wondering if you have heard anything about this.

mickey v-neck

So I have have some info to add to this... although I hope it is incorrect. Apparently WDI is currently considering relocating the entrance to SSE to the west side of the building as part of major plans to overhaul Epcot (mainly FW) in the next few years. I don't know much more than that, sadly. Of course, I am sure that many of the ideas that get proposed at WDI don't come to fruition (or even past Blue Sky), so I really hope that this one doesn't. Has anyone else heard anything that corroborates this? @marni1971 I know you tend to be in the loop regarding most things, in particular SSE, and so I'm wondering if you have heard anything about this.

Why do you hope this is incorrect?

aaronml

Why do you hope this is incorrect?
I'm not 100% if this is true or not, but I was once told on a backstage tour that the imagineers who designed SSE were worried that people would be scared to go on it for some reason, and so they designed the current/original entrance to be particularly welcoming, by making SSE look like it is "hugging" you as you enter it, or even as you enter the park (look at the placement of the support pillars/legs). I feel like that effect would be lost somewhat if they relocated the entrance.

EDIT: I personally think that the current SSE entrance does look like that, but currently my only source for that being intentional is a WDW backstage tour guide, hence my not being 100% sure.

OvertheHorizon

Having traveled with a person with a disability, I have "boarded" from the exit are of SSE many times. It was fine. They may have decided that they want to ensure that visitors snake through a line of themed (sponsor) exhibits before boarding the ride, since most people scatter once they have ridden.

Bolt

I'm not 100% if this is true or not, but I was once told on a backstage tour that the imagineers who designed SSE were worried that people would be scared to go on it for some reason, and so they designed the current/original entrance to be particularly welcoming, by making SSE look like it is "hugging" you as you enter it, or even as you enter the park (look at the placement of the support pillars/legs). I feel like that effect would be lost somewhat if they relocated the entrance.

EDIT: I personally think that the current SSE entrance does look like that, but currently my only source for that being intentional is a WDW backstage tour guide, hence my not being 100% sure.
I'm not even sure what relocating the entrance would really buy.

brb1006

If the rumor is true I hope they are getting rid of the Leave Of Legacy plague in the entrance and bring this back
fwthennow1_spaceshipearthnight1983ww.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

You mean the mission statement about education, which would include pointing out that "toonification" is a made up word and not proper English?
You do realize that all words and languages in general are "made up", right? That is how languages are developed, by either making totally new words up or combining/altering existing words. Language is always in flux and incorporating new or altered forms of words. The word "imagineer" and variants of it for instance was an invention of Disney (appears to be anyways as all dictionary definitions and references to the word cite Disney as the inventor of it).

You know, imagination?

Last edited:

Matt_Black

You do realize that all words and languages in general are "made up", right? That is how languages are developed, by either making totally new words up or combining/altering existing words. Language is always in flux and incorporating new or altered forms of words. The word "imagineer" and variants of it for instance was an invention of Disney (appears to be anyways as all dictionary definitions and references to the word cite Disney as the inventor of it).

You know, imagination?

Okay, then you can IMAGINE that Epcot is just like it was in the 80s and stop complaining about how it is now! Ba-zing!

MerlinTheGoat

Imagine there's no characters
It's easy if you try
No Elsa or Donald
Above us only Hori (zons)
Imagine all the people
Enjoying better rides... Aha-ah...

Imagine there's no cartoons
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to complain about on forums
And no empty pavillions too
Imagine all the people
Having a better time... You,..

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And Disney World will be more fun

Imagine no Frozen in Norway
I wonder if you can
No need for movie IP's
No relying on a franchise brand

Imagine all the people
At a better Disney World... You,..

But I'm not the only one
With EPCOT Center much more fun

Cmdr_Crimson

Imagine there's no characters
It's easy if you try
No Elsa or Donald
Above us only Hori (zons)
Imagine all the people
Enjoying better rides... Aha-ah...

Imagine there's no cartoons
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to complain about on forums
And no empty pavillions too
Imagine all the people
Having a better time... You,..

But I'm not the only one
And Disney World will be more fun

Imagine no Frozen in Norway
I wonder if you can
No need for movie IP's
No relying on a franchise brand

Imagine all the people
At a better Disney World... You,..

But I'm not the only one
With EPCOT Center much more fun

But, what about these guys? They were there during a time where creativity reigned and not get Rose colored to IP's...
epcotcharacters_zpsbd2xhont.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom