News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

OvertheHorizon

Although a lot of us would like more, much needed updates to Energy and Imagination would go a long way toward restoring our faith that there is a future for Epcot. Given the nature of the Walt Disney Company's business, the fact that the Imagination pavilion is one of the least imaginative of any attraction in WDW, I'm confident that imagineers could make a real statement with a redo of that pavilion. And is it too much to ask for one or two NEW countries in World Showcase?

doctornick

Although a lot of us would like more, much needed updates to Energy and Imagination would go a long way toward restoring our faith that there is a future for Epcot. Given the nature of the Walt Disney Company's business, the fact that the Imagination pavilion is one of the least imaginative of any attraction in WDW, I'm confident that imagineers could make a real statement with a redo of that pavilion. And is it too much to ask for one or two NEW countries in World Showcase?

I'd agree that updating Imagination and Energy would be a good start. I'd also like to see them put at least one attraction back in WoL. As for World Showcase, I'd actually rather see them add rides to some of the existing pavilions before building new ones.

OvertheHorizon

I'd agree that updating Imagination and Energy would be a good start. I'd also like to see them put at least one attraction back in WoL. As for World Showcase, I'd actually rather see them add rides to some of the existing pavilions before building new ones.
I have no quarrel with more rides/attractions in existing World Showcase pavilions. Disney clearly needs to figure out the "future" of Future World in an era when corporate sponsors aren't likely to cough up big bucks for on-going pavilions (especially if Disney IP is going to become the highlight). As others have suggested, perhaps that part of Epcot should even be called Future World any longer. But there might be ways to showcase new technologies and innovations with better use of spaces like Innoventions (which seems to be evolving into character meeting space) and/or possibly the former WoL pavilion. Example: Think the kind of thing that happens every year at the consumer electronics show in Las Vegas.

FigmentJedi

I have also heard a lot about Bing-Bong bringing the fun back to Imagination. Kick out Dr. Nigel Stuffyshrit McBrit and his cold, clinical journey into the 5 senses, bring back the Imagination.

(Yes, we would all love to see the Dreamfinder again, but it's never going to happen)
That stupid elephant needs to stay dead and forgotten forever. Seriously, people pre-release wanting Inside Out to take over Imagination is why I snuck into the movie instead of paying and felt no emotion towards Bing Bong's death.

And considering how much they market Dreamfinder and the success of the Marvel comics, I disagree that he's condemned to stay in Yesterland forever.

FigmentJedi

Of all the reasons to commit a crime, this might be the most ridiculous I've ever seen.
Actually I paid for Antman. Timed out just right that when it ended, Inside Out was starting in another theater.

And yes, my fears of a pavilion takeover actually lead me to try encouraging people to either skip the theatrical release or at least wait well after opening weekend when Hollywood execs stop paying attention. I am way too emotionally invested in the possibilities of an Imagination 4 going back to the original's tone and characters.

Matt_Black

And yes, my fears of a pavilion takeover actually lead me to try encouraging people to either skip the theatrical release or at least wait well after opening weekend when Hollywood execs stop paying attention. I am way too emotionally invested in the possibilities of an Imagination 4 going back to the original's tone and characters.

fictional-characters.gif

Sped2424

Actually I paid for Antman. Timed out just right that when it ended, Inside Out was starting in another theater.

I want imagination 4 to happen too. But figment and co are as good as dead to iger given what we are hearing with Tower of Terror. No non ip ride is safe from anything, so in that sense thinking about imagination 4 just feels like wishing for the impossible.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks for the reply, your posts are always on my radar from way up in WI so keep up the great work! Would love to hear your thoughts on what you would do for the day if you were in charge of EPCOT..
In charge of changes? I'd be fired before the end of the day for blowing the budget.

I wouldn't add that much. I'd just fix what is there and plus what's available.

Without going OT too much,

New entrance plaza
SSE finale
New Energy
Reopen Wonders as a suitable pavilion
Test Track finale with audio
Fix Imagination (both floors)
Finale for LwtL
New film for Harvest Theatre
Rid the canopies and fix the fountain and its audio system
Better place making and way finding
Reopen Odyssey
Put the Communicore back into Innoventions. New future proof exhibits and a dark ride. And open the windows again!
Swap out 20% of Impressions de France for new footage. That's all that's needed.
De clutter the promonade
Trim the foliage
Dark ride in Japan
Don't mention Norway or Seas.
Continue plussing RoE.

VIPguide_2030

In charge of changes? I'd be fired before the end of the day for blowing the budget.

New entrance plaza
SSE finale
New Energy
Finale for LwtL
Reopen Odyssey
Put the Communicore back into Innoventions. New future proof exhibits and a dark ride. And open the windows again!
Swap out 20% of Impressions de France for new footage. That's all that's needed.
De clutter the promonade
Trim the foliage
Dark ride in Japan
Continue plussing RoE.

Total agreement with all of this. My plan from page 7 or so on this thread added rides in WS with characters that complimented the pavilions but I have since backed off that. I am ok with characters still but would prefer original ideas without characters and to add 2-3 of these.

There are 3 pavilions in FW that need the most help so my thought was doing 1 new WS ride and fixing 1 pavilion a year each year...since construction moves at glacial speed I have revised that to every 2 years.

This would put the completion of everything 6 years out just in time for the 40th. A great thought but I'm sure reality is closer to the 45th. I suppose I should stop tormenting myself thinking about it but I do enjoy the thought of a complete EPCOT like I remember when I first started going in the '90's.

RSoxNo1

New entrance plaza
SSE finale
New Energy
Finale for LwtL
Reopen Odyssey
De clutter the promonade
Trim the foliage
Dark ride in Japan
Continue plussing RoE.
A few things are missing:
it's a small world to Showcase Plaza
Horizons: Century 3 w/Carousel of Progress part of the pavilion
Peoplemover in Future World

Daveeeeed

Let's hope the intermediate plussings will include aesthetic improvements to Future Worlds' central plaza, e.g., redoing the outsides of Electric Umbrella and Mouse Gear to look elegant, removing the tarps and pin station, etc.
That needs an improvement, but what needs it more are the parallel walkways from Spaceship Earth to FW's central plaza. The restrooms there look ugly. There needs to be some futuristic buildings on either side.

VIPguide_2030

Good stuff...So I assume the Pinocchio dark ride moves into IASW but then what happens to the CoP space in your opinion? In my perfect world these changes along with Laugh Floor being a part of Monstropolis for phase 3 in HS gets us to a re-imagined TL as well. Stitch goes back to Alien 2.0, Laugh Floor/Buzz turns into Tron and the Speedway goes for a new original concept. Not sure what goes into CoP but I would think some kind of show would be good.

This certainly isn't a rumor thread anymore but it is more entertaining than hearing about price increases, things being cut and Shanghaiest.

Daveeeeed

Why on Earth would Disney move IASW? It is in 4 other Fantasylands around the world. Frozen will attract the younger park guests etc. they need to redo Imagination, UoE, update Living with the land, fix up the interior of The Land, make Horizons a pavilion again, and add a futuristic beautiful coaster throughout future world.

VIPguide_2030

Why on Earth would Disney move IASW? It is in 4 other Fantasylands around the world. Frozen will attract the younger park guests etc. they need to redo Imagination, UoE, update Living with the land, fix up the interior of The Land, make Horizons a pavilion again, and add a futuristic beautiful coaster throughout future world.

IASW is a celebration of cultures around the world which is what WS is. I don't see that move as trying to attract younger park guests but more along the lines of tying the whole experience together. No other park has a WS so I don't see this being an issue.

RSoxNo1

Because Future World is supposed to be a permanent world's fair and World Showcase celebrate the idealized version of various countries throughout the world. As an attraction that debuted in the 1964-1965 World's Fair it is the perfect attraction to bridge the two lands. If anything it's out of place in Fantasyland.

RSoxNo1

Good stuff...So I assume the Pinocchio dark ride moves into IASW but then what happens to the CoP space in your opinion? In my perfect world these changes along with Laugh Floor being a part of Monstropolis for phase 3 in HS gets us to a re-imagined TL as well. Stitch goes back to Alien 2.0, Laugh Floor/Buzz turns into Tron and the Speedway goes for a new original concept. Not sure what goes into CoP but I would think some kind of show would be good.

This certainly isn't a rumor thread anymore but it is more entertaining than hearing about price increases, things being cut and Shanghaiest.
Relocating it's a small world allow them to further fix one of the bottlenecks of the park. Level the ride building and push back the walk way. Remove the tent facade of Peter Pan, put in a Frozen and Peter Pan section in it's place blending the English, Scandinavian and French architecture of the area. The Frozen rock work would blend in seamlessly with the Be Our Guest rock work.

NFF697401.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom