News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Epcot81Fan

incredible how backwards we have gone since then
While the rest of the world is doing this in free public spaces:

1713231851890.jpeg

WDI is putting this in the center of their premier theme park:

1713231913384.jpeg

“Absolutely amazing” indeed….

J4546

While the rest of the world is doing this in free public spaces:

View attachment 779569

WDI is putting this in the center of their premier theme park:

View attachment 779579

“Absolutely amazing” indeed….
would you stop posting pictures of multibillion dollar airports and complaniing they arent getting built in epcot...You arent making any sense and its just getting weird. Your coming across unhinged

DreamfinderGuy

would you stop posting pictures of multibillion dollar airports and complaniing they arent getting built in epcot...You arent making any sense and its just getting weird. Your coming across unhinged
Obviously nobody is expecting multi-billion dollar structures at EPCOT, but the point of EPCOT failing to build anything architecturally interesting in the modern day is valid. EPCOT's architectural legacy in the 2020s so far is making one building from the 80s look significantly worse, a couple significantly better, some rectangles, and rebuilding an uglier version of a building they just tore down.

The two remotely unique buildings (Festival Center and new Earth Station) they had planned both got canceled. With all the money being spent they can and should do better than they are.

Bocabear

I agree... The comparisons to beautiful forward thinking architecture are valid... Scale might be off, but this particular park should have had a lot more in terms of beautiful architecture....and we basically got a corporate office campus park and a white cement building. The triangles are nice...thank God for them because they are the only things of interest...
The lack of a fountain or water feature in the large central garden is baffling, and the central promotion planter is borderline obscene....

Sir_Cliff

Obviously nobody is expecting multi-billion dollar structures at EPCOT, but the point of EPCOT failing to build anything architecturally interesting in the modern day is valid. EPCOT's architectural legacy in the 2020s so far is making one building from the 80s look significantly worse, a couple significantly better, some rectangles, and rebuilding an uglier version of a building they just tore down.

The two remotely unique buildings (Festival Center and new Earth Station) they had planned both got canceled. With all the money being spent they can and should do better than they are.
If no-one is expecting that kind of architecture, then the comparison really isn't valid. The airports of wealthy North American and Western European countries don't compare to those of small, rich, autocratic states like Qatar and Singapore, so why compare them to the central spine of Epcot?

It is certainly a valid argument that the architecture of these recent refurbishments is not interesting, is bad, etc. These comparisons suggest two related things to me, though. One is that no-one has any realistic idea what Epcot in the 2020s is supposed to look like. The other is that people have blown out of all proportion how innovative and futuristic the original EPCOT Center was when it first opened. So, people start scouting around for projects that aren't realistic comparisons like the Jewel at Singapore Airport that cost over $1 billion as a reasonable analogy for how 2020s Epcot should look and complain that spaces that are actually more in line with the scale and scope of the original EPCOT Center like Connections and Creations aren't like stepping through portals into a world no-one had previously been able to imagine. Again, you can critique the latter on their own merits, but critiquing them because they don't look like the airport terminal of an oil rich Gulf State is silly.

Last edited:

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
If no-one is expecting that kind of architecture, then the comparison really isn't valid. The airports of wealthy North American and Western European countries don't compare to those of small, rich, autocratic states like Qatar and Singapore, so why compare them to the central spine of Epcot?

It is certainly a valid argument that the architecture of these recent refurbishments is not interesting, is bad, etc. These comparisons suggest two related things to me, though. One is that no-one has any realistic idea what Epcot in the 2020s is supposed to look like. The other is that people have blown out of all proportion how innovative and futuristic the original EPCOT Center was when it first opened. So, people start scouting around for projects that aren't realistic comparisons like the Jewel at Singapore Airport that cost over $1 billion as a reasonable analogy for how 2020s Epcot should look and complain that spaces that are actually more in line with the scale and scope of the original EPCOT Center like Connections and Creations aren't like stepping through portals into a world no-one had previously been able to imagine. Again, you can critique the latter on their own merits, but critiquing them because they don't look like the airport terminal of an oil rich Gulf State is silly.
To me, it's less about who built the futuristic looking airport and more about the fact that Disney could have built something that looks cool, like those airports. Instead, we got what we got. I'm not asking for them to spend $1 billion, but if they're going to tear up the central spine of the park for YEARS, the end result should have been better than it is.

Bocabear

mattpeto

I think you would find that Forum members actually really love WDW and are passionate about it...and it upholding the quality it was always known for.... quite the opposite of hating WDW...
That's the thing though. I respect the passion, but the old days aren't coming back.

You don't have to love everything, but if you hate everything - it just might be you.

Andrew25

I wish I could hate Disney World as much as many forum members do around here...It'd save me some money and I wouldn't be lurking here all day either.
I can only speak about myself, but I complain about both Disney/Universal on here, but I'm not walking around the parks mumbling to myself about their issues.

The "negativity" is out of love, not hate. I'm sure there are a few that just love to be negative, but the vast majority are just voicing their displeasure towards some things.

Bocabear

That's the thing though. I respect the passion, but the old days aren't coming back.

You don't have to love everything, but if you hate everything - it just might be you.
I sure don't hate everything...and I fully understand the "old Days" aren't coming back...but why should we applaud when things de-volve? Why can't we discuss changes with the community of others that also are passionate about WDW? We all have different opinions... I can still get insight from others... With everyone just saying "times Change" it doesn't give much room for a discussion...

osian

The issue is not wishing that the old days would come back but wishing that they'd stop ruining things instead of enhancing things, and this doesn't mean hating everything nor wishing the old days would come back (except to restore what was ruined - as though ruination means progress and you can't complain about it). People who complain about people who complain...are inventing their own reasons why people complain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom