News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

BasiltheBatLord

But did they?
By the objective definition of "investment", yes they clearly did.

Whether you like the investment or not is up to you, but the park pre-2017 had been stagnant for decades. They finally decided to make an effort to do something about it. Yes, the final result is not what most of us were hoping for (and to give credit, the plans got screwed by COVID). But I'm not going to keep complaining when the other option was keep the dead park from the 2000s.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
By the objective definition of "investment", yes they clearly did.

Whether you like the investment or not is up to you, but the park pre-2017 had been stagnant for decades. They finally decided to make an effort to do something about it. Yes, the final result is not what most of us were hoping for (and to give credit, the plans got screwed by COVID). But I'm not going to keep complaining when the other option was keep the dead park from the 2000s.
Well covid is not a valid excuse…as cash available soared for companies

But I covered this above…what did they actually get done? Not much

OvertheHorizon

What I wanted more than anything for a "New" Epcot? A new country added to World Showcase. I was disappointed to say the least.
Amen to that. I believe they originally had 19 plots for countries. However, they've used up two of those to expand Norway / Frozen and to expand France with the Ratatouille ride. Six spots remain (including where the once planned Africa pavilion became only a refreshment spot). I'd love to see India, Greece, and Brazil for starters.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Back at WDW in two days and cannot wait to spend more time in this beautiful area again in some warmer weather. I can't believe how great FW looks now compared to that hideous trash that was there before. I still miss the Fountain of Nations though.
parks and recreation GIF

DreamfinderGuy

Good god, I sure hope Bob isn't depending on 13 year olds to shape any park goals.
I know we all like to say Disney is for the young and the young at heart, but you do know the parks are primarily for that first part, right? Outside of the fanatics there aren't many regular people planning WDW trips that don't revolve around their kids. I would hope they are thinking about how they can appeal to a 13 year old when designing things.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I know we all like to say Disney is for the young and the young at heart, but you do know the parks are primarily for that first part, right? Outside of the fanatics there aren't many regular people planning WDW trips that don't revolve around their kids. I would hope they are thinking about how they can appeal to a 13 year old when designing things.
And *controversial opinion* but I think it's great they're trying to make Epcot appeal to the younger crowd; I just wish they were going about it in bit more thoughtful manner. But yeah, this "it's pathetic and offensive Disney is creating something for kids and not my grown adult self" is so embarrassing and entitled.

I think becoming an uncle last year really changed how I feel about children 😂

Ayla

And *controversial opinion* but I think it's great they're trying to make Epcot appeal to the younger crowd; I just wish they were going about it in bit more thoughtful manner. But yeah, this "it's pathetic and offensive Disney is creating something for kids and not my grown adult self" is so embarrassing and entitled.

I think becoming an uncle last year really changed how I feel about children 😂
Not surprisingly, you totally misunderstood my post.

DreamfinderGuy

And *controversial opinion* but I think it's great they're trying to make Epcot appeal to the younger crowd; I just wish they were going about it in bit more thoughtful manner.
This is precisely it. There was plenty about EPCOT which inherently appealed to audiences of all ages. Take The Living Seas for example, the whole show about descending into an underwater research base, the grand reveal of traveling under and into the aquarium, being able to walk around Seabase Alpha and see all the marine life, etc.

Much of that experience is still there today, but so much of it has been diminished because of how "kiddified" its become. Does it appeal more to children? That's debatable, but it certainly appeals less to the older demographic. Creating exclusively child focused areas like Journey of Water and the Play Pavilion (RIP) is one way to make your park more kid-friendly, but there really would not be as strong of a need if they simply focused on more experiences for all ages.

The way to "fix" EPCOT's "unfriendly to kids" problem was to take things which didn't work for all ages, like Universe of Energy, and make them more appealing to a broader group. Unfortunately their solution there was to take an experience open to children, regardless of whether or not they would engage with the subject matter, and turn it into something that simply isn't available for much of the younger crowd as a whole.

osian

Designing something that appeals to 13 yr olds and younger doesn't mean excluding older people. The original EPCOT was cleverly desgned to appeal to a wide range, for the whole family. Families include people of all ages. They should be thinking about how they can appeal to all ages, not just 13-yr olds and younger.

aladdin2007

Amen to that. I believe they originally had 19 plots for countries. However, they've used up two of those to expand Norway / Frozen and to expand France with the Ratatouille ride. Six spots remain (including where the once planned Africa pavilion became only a refreshment spot). I'd love to see India, Greece, and Brazil for starters.
Not exactly, if they really wanted that one it can be done away with and used for what it was originally intended, an actual pavilion.

pigglewiggle

I hesitate to ask this, but are there any plans for a bar in the garden area? I only ask because we would probably enjoy sitting there at night with a glass of wine.
Where else can we get one near there? Or is walking one over from World Showcase the only option?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom