News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

ABQ

I am sure we will hear that there is no possible way yo add a fountain to the central core because they would have to bring all new power lines in from the main source generators near the Magic Kingdom, and the closest source for water is 26 miles east of Orlando making it literally a billion dollar change and would take another 4-6 years to complete construction... Of course the consulting firm would be the same ones that came up with the reasons the Yeti could not be fixed without literally tearing down the entire attraction... lol
I think they were already planning to use that excuse as a response to why they will not be able to fix the in ground lighting.

DarkMetroid567

I think more than any other topic (except maybe Splash) there’s a huge divide between the opinions of generic everyday guests and the hardcore fans. People seem to really love the new core, and it certainly feels like that area is more frequented than it was in the last decade. I’ve even had coworkers tell me how good it looks, and like, I personally wouldn’t go that far… but sure, I like it.

ABQ

I think more than any other topic (except maybe Splash) there’s a huge divide between the opinions of generic everyday guests and the hardcore fans. People seem to really love the new core, and it certainly feels like that area is more frequented than it was in the last decade. I’ve even had coworkers tell me how good it looks, and like, I personally wouldn’t go that far… but sure, I like it.
To be fair, the core was completely inaccessible for most of 4 years of that last decade, so people will flock to something untouchable for so long.

Bocabear

I don't know...I guess filling in the space with things would make fewer people look like more, but the plaza was and still is the main entry through the park, so it is hard to avoid walking through it... Yes, landscaping is nice....and that is where I sort of end up... It is missing a sense of drama.. The promotion planter thing is terrible for so many reasons...then the flubbed ground lighting and the Flex Space building... Sadly for me the bad outweighs the good... No reason they could not have added landscaping and a new fountain without completely sacrificing the extremely drawn out and costly construction that plagued this unremarkable project.

Andrew25

I sincerely want to meet these people, folks who really love the new core.
Relatives of the designer maybe?
Do I think the core is what it should be? No.

But do I like what we got. I'm not a fan of the interior of Communicore Hall, but everything else is fine from a design/aesthetic perspective. Vastly prefer it over the concrete wasteland previously here. All the hub is missing is a fountain feature, but I think it's fine.

Not excusing how long it took or the fact that they've let stuff fallen into disrepair like the lights, but I enjoy it's design/aesthetic.

Disstevefan1

Do I think the core is what it should be? No.

But do I like what we got. I'm not a fan of the interior of Communicore Hall, but everything else is fine from a design/aesthetic perspective. Vastly prefer it over the concrete wasteland previously here. All the hub is missing is a fountain feature, but I think it's fine.

Not excusing how long it took or the fact that they've let stuff fallen into disrepair like the lights, but I enjoy it's design/aesthetic.
Its not totally bad, I can live with Creations, Connections.

I am glad they moved the pin stuff where the photo stuff was under under SSE.

Club Cool, I am thankful we did not lose it, but the space is awful!

I specifically dislike the rust finish everywhere and that there is no fountain.

Communicore is a joke!

Some things are OK, but an overall failure we must live with for decades to come.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I can live with Creations, Connections.
We do live with that already in many aspects of our lives; Target, Wendy's, Starbucks, Jack in the Box, McDonald's. For what they all build today, it all looks the same. You can swap out any sign on the front...all generic. That is today's trend, and Disney has latched onto that in park design as well. No soul, no above and beyond. Nothing unique. Nothing that sets these spaces apart from others.

Disstevefan1

We do live with that already in many aspects of our lives; Target, Wendy's, Starbucks, Jack in the Box, McDonald's. For what they all build today, it all looks the same. You can swap out any sign on the front...all generic. That is today's trend, and Disney has latched onto that in park design as well. No soul, no above and beyond. Nothing unique. Nothing that sets these spaces apart from others.
Totally agree. I was trying not to be totally negative but I totally agree.

Andrew25

Not to defend Disney's actions, but what exactly should be the aesthetic design for Epcot's hub? How exactly should interiors of Connections/Creations look like? Can you provide a few examples?

The original aesthetics for Communicore in the 80s felt just like any other mall from that era.

Bocabear

Not to defend Disney's actions, but what exactly should be the aesthetic design for Epcot's hub? How exactly should interiors of Connections/Creations look like? Can you provide a few examples?

The original aesthetics for Communicore in the 80s felt just like any other mall from that era.
No, it didn't....not when it opened...it was actually far ahead and then the world caught up. It is still their fault for not updating it sooner...refreshing finishes etc.... Removing the landscaping and water features to make more room for crowds was the bigger problem in the overall scheme of things... But when EPCOT opened in 1981 it did not look like what we knew at the time to be the average mall... or corporate park. This current design is going to be dated by 2025.... because it was designed with a very specific non-forward looking aesthetic... Very current trend VS what they tried to do with the original EPCOT...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom