News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I LOVE original EPCOT Center, but I also understand that Future World was basically entirely made up of passive, slow-moving dark rides and that needed to change to appeal to a broader audience. The problem is that along the way they abandoned a lot of things that made EPCOT Center what it was.

Anyway, regarding Communicore Hall, why DIDN'T anyone decide to have an exhibit in there for the opening instead of leaving it as plain and barren as possible. Nobody seems to have any clue how to promote things properly or try to put the best look on something that was built to be plain.

Some have said it isn't really any worse than what it replaced...which is technically true but also a very low bar. Innoventions and the original Communicore HAD really amazing exhibits at one time....replacing a building that was pared down to nearly nothing with a new building that has nearly nothing at open is not the way to get people interested.

dreamfinding

Anyway, regarding Communicore Hall, why DIDN'T anyone decide to have an exhibit in there for the opening instead of leaving it as plain and barren as possible. Nobody seems to have any clue how to promote things properly or try to put the best look on something that was built to be plain.

Some have said it isn't really any worse than what it replaced...which is technically true but also a very low bar. Innoventions and the original Communicore HAD really amazing exhibits at one time....replacing a building that was pared down to nearly nothing with a new building that has nearly nothing at open is not the way to get people interested.
It is absolutely asinine. The archives holds 100 years worth of history (some years more well documented than others). I have attended a WD Archives display (@ Graceland during the 50th) and is was amazing!

The thing is, it wouldn’t even have to be a large display. They could pull out some original Epcot concept art, some original Epcot merchandise, maps, maybe even a few attraction used props and it would fill the space.

Look at One Man’s Dream in DHS. Why didn’t they do something similar in Communicore Hall?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There isn't an attraction in Epcot right now that is better than the the original attraction it replaced. None. The only one that is arguable is Soarin (if you consider it a replacement for Food Rocks - which it really isn't). Every other ride/attraction has gotten worse with each subsequent renovation.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. But in my opinion, nothing compared to that original entry into the primeval world with all of the animatronics and the smells and the humidity - as a seven year old in 1983, it was incredible. And it enhanced the themeing of Future World because it was on-topic and not just an IP placement.

Downvote across the board. They are all worse than their predecessors.

Do you keep forgetting what you just previously posted?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I LOVE original EPCOT Center, but I also understand that Future World was basically entirely made up of passive, slow-moving dark rides and that needed to change to appeal to a broader audience. The problem is that along the way they abandoned a lot of things that made EPCOT Center what it was.

They screwed it up. Plain and simple

Now it can be a running joke for decades. Oh joy

AdventureHasAName

How when Soarin is in the exact same location Food rocks was and it was removed for it?
I'm not sure it is. I believe a portion of Soarin's queue is where Food Rocks and Kitchen Kaberet used to sit. They could have spent some extra money and kept Food Rocks, but they chose not to. That said, I do like Soarin; it doesn't belong in in The Land, but its a good attraction.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

I'm not sure it is. I believe a portion of Soarin's queue is where Food Rocks and Kitchen Kaberet used to sit. They could have spent some extra money and kept Food Rocks, but they chose not to. That said, I do like Soarin; it doesn't belong in in The Land, but its a good attraction.
Just as you enter the queue area is where the original KK/FR theater was. There was a remodeling to the washrooms that removed what was remaining behind the wall a few years ago..

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No. I clearly stated I don't count Soarin as a replacement for Food Rocks because it isn't. To add insult to minor injury, Food Rocks was worse than Kitchen Kaberet.
Food rocks and kitchen cabaret were both the kinda quirky diversions that really give the Disney Parks their distinctive soul

Like cranium command, making of me, eo, hista

They lose something when they “cleverly” take these out for whizz bang replacements that take forever, can’t handle people and limit more investment

Bob figured it out…a parks shell game That has slowly made the average visitor miserable over time

Genius!!

Cmdr_Crimson

Cosmic Rewind inspires many people... to make sure they know where the nearest trash can is for at least an hour after riding. 🤮 Or else to know what their dosage limit is for Dramamine. So thrilling...
At least they didn't make tossing your cookies an Ad like Six Flags did in the late 90's during their "You in or You out?" Campaign..

DreamfinderGuy

The entrance to Soarin’ was placed over the seating area for Food Rocks. If you look over the ledge right at the start of the lightning lane queue you can see mount points still on the floor for the chairs. The actual stage was abandoned until 2016, when it was replaced by a women’s restroom

Epcot82Guy

i didnt get sick on GotG at all and im very prone to motion sickness on coasters

It's definitely a personal thing. M:S is just fine for me, for example. Big coasters, tea cups, etc. - no problem. GOTG really got me. As do Simpsons and Forbidden Journey over at Universal. There are different force involved in each. GOTG has a somewhat higher risk because you have an odd center of gravity and controlled movement, which the body isn't generally used to experiencing. Brains process the stimuli differently.

UNCgolf

It's definitely a personal thing. M:S is just fine for me, for example. Big coasters, tea cups, etc. - no problem. GOTG really got me. As do Simpsons and Forbidden Journey over at Universal. There are different force involved in each. GOTG has a somewhat higher risk because you have an odd center of gravity and controlled movement, which the body isn't generally used to experiencing. Brains process the stimuli differently.

The first time I rode Forbidden Journey I was fine, but the second time (on a different day) it made me horribly sick. I think it was the combination of the simulator and the Kuka arm movement (which really tosses you around in places; it's not a very pleasant ride).

I don't think I'd ride Forbidden Journey again, but I'm okay with that because I wasn't really impressed with it.

maxairmike

I have generally been very positive about the changes to the middle of the park, but having just seen the Communicore Hall area tonight for the first time (which I personally like the exterior design of the building) along with the continued problems with the in-ground lighting, I'm starting to soften on the negative view of the area. The plastic strips covering the in-ground lights along Communicore Hall seem to have not been cleaned from the construction work, that lighting was unsurprisingly not turned on, and combined with the central planter light rings still not working I am just getting tired of waiting for it to look right again. I still love relaxing in the gardens and enjoying the general vibe of the area, but it has some (IMO) big issues barely 6 months into existence.

Epcot82Guy

I got to see CommuniCore Hall tonight. And, it's kinda worse than I expected.

First off, the band was excellent. They were really working the crowd with huge energy. It didn't make sense. And it was so loud, you could hear it from SSE to the Refreshment Station. And that created a really odd tonal dissonance. But the people at the stage seemed to really enjoy it.

The triangles at night are fun.

Now CC Hall itself... There are some glaring issues...
-the outdoor queue for Mickey and Friends
-the placement is very odd. It's kinda symmetrical but kinda not. It's like a crooked picture, and it throws off the circle of the central plantings from several angles.
-the stage has a massive screen that cuts it off from the garden. So it is like theater in the round with half the audience cut off.
-the back is the same. It has both plants and a ramp that cuts off IMAG. So it's a very, very weird space related to the other parts of the park.
-Festival Favorites looks like a 7-11 in person.
-the main hall is a joke. It almost looks worse than the original hallway. There is nothing that feels permanent here. It feels like a bus station. Big fail here.
-the area on the south is pointless.
-the building looks cheap. I don't think this will weather or age very well.
-the lights were going off for most of Luminous and then after, which was quite distracting - even from Germany.

This is really a fail IMHO. The ideas aren't bad. But the execution is not good at all.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
You'll definitely appreciate Epic Unicerse’s Monsters ride then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom