News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Disstevefan1

Since EPCOT has become a mostly food festival park, its good to see a lot of seating to eat our $12 food samples.

It's a bit of a walk from the food booths, but its better than eating on the trash cans.

And WE KNOW they will be adding some new food booths in this area. ;)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So how is this space different from any other space in EPCOT? Custodial works hard and does a good job at other, more problematic areas.

You can feel however you want about the executive level decisions on this project, but leave the boots on the ground CMs out of it.
This is not a CM issue and I don't understand why you're trying to pick a fight over it. But I'm not biting.

Fear

This is not a CM issue and I don't understand why you're trying to pick a fight over it. But I'm not biting.

Okay then, let's back up a bit. What about this area will make it more likely for there to be discarded empty cups, food containers, and strewn chairs than any other location in the park?

EeyoreFan#24

A better question would be "What town center shopping center or what corporate office park doesn't have a park like this?"

I actually said this to myself walking though the area with the circular half concrete/half wood benches. Glad to see I’m not alone.

It’s still a nice area and fits the community theme well it think, but the elements in it are very metro city downtown office/parkish.

Epcot81Fan

I actually said this to myself walking though the area with the circular half concrete/half wood benches. Glad to see I’m not alone.

It’s still a nice area and fits the community theme well it think, but the elements in it are very metro city downtown office/parkish.
Here come the “But, but, it’s better than something made 40 years ago that was left to rot!!!” crowd!

Because airports in 1982 looked like this:

1701974759684.jpeg

WDI used to wow and amaze us, now they are just sadly years behind the trend and execute at a lower level of investment and creativity.

But God bless those fans that eat it up (and apparently never get out of Disney parks to understand how woefully behind they are in creative design).

TrojanUSC

Here come the “But, but, it’s better than something made 40 years ago that was left to rot!!!” crowd!

View attachment 757961

WDI used to wow and amaze us, now they are just sadly years behind the trend and execute at a lower level of investment and creativity.

But God bless those fans that eat it up (and apparently never get out of Disney parks to understand how woefully behind they are in creative design).
This has been my thing for years. Imagine if they built a pavilion like this in the middle of Epcot it would be the talk of the country.

J4546

View attachment 757961

you are showing a picture of a project that opened in 2019 that cost 1.7 billion dollars.....lol.

Epcot82Guy

you are showing a picture of a project that opened in 2019 that cost 1.7 billion dollars.....lol.

To be fair, that's a much larger scale than the central area of FW/WC.

And, if you lump together Guardians, JoW, building demo, Harmonious and the WC Gardens/CommuniCore hall we're getting - we're very likely over $1B here. I realize that adding HARM and Guardians pulls in other facets of the project. I'm just saying there was a lot of money to play with here as well.

EDIT: And yes. Maintenance costs are a fully separate issue. That's a separate conversation.

Virtual Toad

Same issue as the night before. A couple of tracks were switching between the wrong colors.
I'm fascinated by the complexity of the infrastructure required to get all the lighting from the main entrance, to Spaceship Earth and throughout the new hub all working together (and reliably) during "show" mode. That's a ton of fixtures.

Did they have to run conduit throughout the new central core during construction? Are the fixtures all hard-wired or do they operate wirelessly? A mix of both? As someone who dabbles with this stuff on a much smaller scale I'm kind of geeking out over what they're doing.

Earlie the Pearlie

I'm fascinated by the complexity of the infrastructure required to get all the lighting from the main entrance, to Spaceship Earth and throughout the new hub all working together (and reliably) during "show" mode. That's a ton of fixtures.

Did they have to run conduit throughout the new central core during construction? Are the fixtures all hard-wired or do they operate wirelessly? A mix of both? As someone who dabbles with this stuff on a much smaller scale I'm kind of geeking out over what they're doing.
THEY SHOULD HAVE PUT A RESTORATION OF THE ASTUTER COMPUTER REVIEW WHERE IT ONCE WAS TO EXPLAIN ALL OF THIS STUFF IT WOULD HAVE BEEN AMAZING!!! Future World (I DON'T CARE WHAT THE NAME IS) needs some hidden gems.

Incomudro

View attachment 757961

You do realize that the outdoor areas of the original Epcot weren't a major stretch beyond any modern themed outdoor areas of the time, don't you?
It's not as though they saw into the future and gave us an aesthetic beyond the scope of imagination of any modern corporate office park of the time.
That is why it became so dated.

James Alucobond

I am by no means qualified to say, but it certainly looked like they ran conduit all over the place beneath the pavement in some of the aerial photographs while the gardens were in progress. Under the lighted pavers at Dreamers Point, for instance, there seemed to be a crisscrossing network of PVC tubing for wire management. Someone who knows more about construction can correct me as I could very easily be wrong. See image below.
dreamerspoint_beforepavers.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom