News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Epcot82Guy

Imagine if the fountain were also programmed to interact with the Spaceship Earth light shows adding another element... instead of the ground that will be blocked by people standing in the area.....
And the thing is, it didn't need to be a gigantic show fountain... Just a nice appropriately sized fountain with programmable lighting.....and it would add some kinetics to the center...

That was similar to my thought. Have various things around the area that interact with the lighting and SSE show. That could prevent the bottlenecks. It obviously only truly works at night. Though, during the day, it could simply have some nice dynamic effects.

Horizonsfan

IMO, adding a bunch of pond fountains with lights to the ponds on either side of the WS bridge would be a decent olive branch for the loss of FoN. Obviously a far cry from what was removed, but would be a relatively low cost enhancement. They’d also help mitigate the algae blooms that seem to be occurring more frequently.
IMG_4978.png

Virtual Toad

It looks really… visually busy. Also kinda looks like a crowd flow nightmare.
Agreed, though the long telephoto picture does compress the depth. But the crowd flow concerns are definitely valid.

On the whole, it seems more like a capitulation than a cohesive concept. Not sure what the message is supposed to be, other than "trees are good." Which is fine (I happen to love trees), but I can see literally the same thing in almost any modern urban core or suburban park.

Which is why I call it capitulation. Instead of wowing us, knocking our socks off, exciting us about the endless possibilities for the future and/or the joy of discovery (or whatever the theme is now supposed to be), we get... trees. Safe, value-engineered (despite the cost) and relatively easy to maintain. Almost a "set it and forget it" mentality. Or a simple in-fill, returning the space to nature, because they couldn't come up with anything better.

Is it nice? Sure. Is it worthy of its location in Epcot? For me, that remains an open question.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Agreed, though the long telephoto picture does compress the depth. But the crowd flow concerns are definitely valid.

On the whole, it seems more like a capitulation than a cohesive concept. Not sure what the message is supposed to be, other than "trees are good." Which is fine (I happen to love trees), but I can see literally the same thing in almost any modern urban core or suburban park.

Which is why I call it capitulation. Instead of wowing us, knocking our socks off, exciting us about the endless possibilities for the future and/or the joy of discovery (or whatever the theme is now supposed to be), we get... trees. Safe, value-engineered (despite the cost) and relatively easy to maintain. Almost a "set it and forget it" mentality. Or a simple in-fill, returning the space to nature, because they couldn't come up with anything better.

Is it nice? Sure. Is it worthy of its location in Epcot? For me, that remains an open question.

But... color-changing LED's!!! That can be bought off-the-shelf and programmed just like they did at Epcot. Such an imaginative, timeless and creative thing they did...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom