News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Inspired Figment

Walt Epcot loved Marvel and Moana.
LOL! 😆 I mean… to be fair, those films ‘do’ Infact have some qualities Walt liked/admired in the ones he created… ‘but’.. where the issue really lies there is the focus of those additions, along with the reasonings & places they’re being put in. Clashes a ton with both Card ‘&’ his visions for EPCOT.

The_Jobu

The question is EPCOT even Epcot anymore?

1099976.jpg

Now that's deep...

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

I would venture that it is not as imagined first by Walt Disney (its objectives were altered before the concept opened in 1982 which was fortuitous based on the results that Celebration achieved... those pesky non-employees won't do what you tell them to do and have ideas of their own what to do with their possessions and lives), fell quickly behind as they couldn't keep up refreshing the attractions with the progress of technology, edutainment became a drag as access to information became ubiquitous, and large scale sponsors had other more effective means of spending their advertising dollars other than a venue with a capped attendance.

You cant build an effective chair without legs. Customer demographics, technological advancement, return on investment, customer expectations, these a few of the items that Disney as a company struggles to frame into a park half of which is based on the divination of what's to come.

jt04

Not since the millennium. I'm not be sarcastic or dismissive when I say the globe became smaller and also became EPCOT. With mixed results.

Eisner was definitely visionary when he recognized the implications to EPCOT of globalization and the internet.

It is evolving to try to be relevant in a new era. So in that sense Epcot lives on.

Last edited:

sedati

The ironic part about that statue is while it’s very much supposed to be a tribute to Walt & his dream for EPCOT. The current version lacks nearly ‘all’ of that vision… while the original ‘82/83 version of the park kept those ideals and implemented them all into a theme park setting.
Walt's EPCOT had a hotel.

DoleWhipDrea

From those that knew him well, friends of Walt have said that he would absolutely hate having statues of himself. Disney as a company knows this but does it anyway.

In light of how vastly different Walt’s vision of EPCOT was versus what was originally built (that at least took some of his original ideas and refined it to work in a theme park setting), versus the current direction WDI is taking with the park, it all feels rather phony and ridiculous to me.

I don’t want a statue or a wishing tree. I want to dream about how much better we can make the world with the technology and resources we have today and what humanity is close to cracking. EPCOT is supposed to inspire - they’re still with that concept as a park of “possibility.” Butit has to actually mean something.

Jrb1979

Might as well change the name to Disneys Florida Adventure. It's not longer the EPCOT I once knew. I honestly hate the amount of IP being put into the park. EPCOT was at its best when Horizons and World of Motion were there. Instead of jamming IP into EPCOT why not go back to the original planned attractions for World Showcase.

Nevermind GP only like IP based attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom