News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

kpilcher

Have to say, it's frustrating to see people continuously trotting out the old "Walt never wanted the parks to become museums" quotes while ignoring that neglect by Disney management in recent decades are what made places like EPCOT into "museums" in the first place.....
EDIT: I'm getting somebody in those comments telling me that "something had to be done with EPCOT because it hasn't been profitable over the years" and such and such.
There’s a lot to like in what you wrote here. Something did have to be done about Epcot. Mostly because it hasn’t been living up to EPCOT or EPCOT Center. There’s lots of valid debate and discussion to be had about what form it should have / should / is taking. But those who say EPCOT Center was a failure or boring a) never saw the place in its prime and waited in its lines or b) never bothered to look. The 1982 park was far from perfect. I adored the place but can assure you the original Universe of Energy, SSE and Astuter Computer Revue in particular needed work. Astuter was first, SSE a few years later. Energy waited too long, but when Ellen opened the idea of it was fantastic (even if some of the facility was — let’s call it underutilized). But the park was still valid. And profitable.

Problem is: that sponsorship money wasn’t supposed to be a slush fund. It was supposed to advocate for its brands by plussing the product. SSE mostly did that over the years, as did parts of The Land. The rest was meant to be an evolving showcase that Disney in the Eisner era didn’t want to pay to update. Horizons deserved the updates that were planned. WOM could have mostly survived when evolving to Test Track.

The idea of Flower & Garden, Food & Wine and Holidays Around the World did not contradict the park’s goals. When they became the cake instead of the frosting was when it went wrong.

aladdin2007

There’s a lot to like in what you wrote here. Something did have to be done about Epcot. Mostly because it hasn’t been living up to EPCOT or EPCOT Center. There’s lots of valid debate and discussion to be had about what form it should have / should / is taking. But those who say EPCOT Center was a failure or boring a) never saw the place in its prime and waited in its lines or b) never bothered to look. The 1982 park was far from perfect. I adored the place but can assure you the original Universe of Energy, SSE and Astuter Computer Revue in particular needed work. Astuter was first, SSE a few years later. Energy waited too long, but when Ellen opened the idea of it was fantastic (even if some of the facility was — let’s call it underutilized). But the park was still valid. And profitable.

Problem is: that sponsorship money wasn’t supposed to be a slush fund. It was supposed to advocate for its brands by plussing the product. SSE mostly did that over the years, as did parts of The Land. The rest was meant to be an evolving showcase that Disney in the Eisner era didn’t want to pay to update. Horizons deserved the updates that were planned. WOM could have mostly survived when evolving to Test Track.

The idea of Flower & Garden, Food & Wine and Holidays Around the World did not contradict the park’s goals. When they became the cake instead of the frosting was when it went wrong.

this!

Figments Friend

Tonight the added bushes to seal off Club Cool area made for an interesting evacuation of guests at closing after Illuminations. The entire guest load that was heading to parking, Monorails and buses funneled to the narrow Mouse Gear walkway to the side of the Fountain wasn’t pretty. Disney Management everywhere observing

View attachment 408678

Ya know, i have been very interested in seeing how that was actually going to work with the 'Park dump' crowds post-show when i saw the map of construction walls a week or so ago.
It seemed to me they created a really BIG 'pinch point' bottle neck outside of that entrance to MouseGear.

This is going to be a MAJOR issue come the 30th, when the Park will be packed for the final showing of 'Illuminations'.
I hope the management observing have a alternative plan....maybe run the crowd through the breezeway...?

-

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Ya know, i have been very interested in seeing how that was actually going to work with the 'Park dump' crowds post-show when i saw the map of construction walls a week or so ago.
It seemed to me they created a really BIG 'pinch point' bottle neck outside of that entrance to MouseGear.

This is going to be a MAJOR issue come the 30th, when the Park will be packed for the final showing of 'Illuminations'.
I hope the management observing have a alternative plan....maybe run the crowd through the breezeway...?

-
B93BB350-D260-4F1B-8FF4-CB9A6AC5DD6A.jpeg

Enter to Fountain area one big black wall from Starbucks to a few feet to Mouse Gears. They are already digging around Mouse Gears in other sides.

1D1471F8-F1A1-428D-9889-362CB9444B0A.jpeg

C347104D-9DC3-40DF-92AF-ACC34DE932C5.jpeg

Aweful

Steph15251

While ,I do not agree with everything ,they are doing with epcot ,they are at least adding two rides,replacing a ride with an e-ticket ,and going to update SSE,they are adding the Moana water thing ,and then doing the play pavilion in the old WOL building ,I would hope they update and fix journey,do something new with seas ,Epcot is also adding new restaurants.

But I will say I miss horizons,I loved that ride ,also theme parks are not just about rides.

HauntedMansionFLA

While ,I do not agree with everything ,they are doing with epcot ,they are at least adding two rides,replacing a ride with an e-ticket ,and going to update SSE,they are adding the Moana water thing ,and then doing the play pavilion in the old WOL building ,I would hope they update and fix journey,do something new with seas ,Epcot is also adding new restaurants.

But I will say I miss horizons,I loved that ride ,also theme parks are not just about rides.
It will be better than ever once they are finished

kpilcher

Better than 1982?
Let me say no. But the idea to intelligently update and progress 1986 (Seas) / and beyond in Future...err World Hygiene, World of Nature and World of Synergy has long since passed. A natural progression of the foundations with a couple of added well, thought out and purposeful jolts would be a park people would still revere. Note I am not advocating in any way staying in 1982,3,6,or 9 in that statement. As much as I admire some of Wonders of Life (1989) the reliance on c-d grade celebrities was the first major misstep. Can we rename World Showcase to World of Warcraft?

HauntedMansionFLA

Let me say no. But the idea to intelligently update and progress 1986 (Seas) / and beyond in Future...err World Hygiene, World of Nature and World of Synergy has long since passed. A natural progression of the foundations with a couple of added well, thought out and purposeful jolts would be a park people would still revere. Note I am not advocating in any way staying in 1982,3,6,or 9 in that statement. As much as I admire some of Wonders of Life (1989) the reliance on c-d grade celebrities was the first major misstep. Can we rename World Showcase to World of Warcraft?
I thought Disney was gutsy with the Habit Heroes combating obesity a few years back. If they want to “educate” guest, these are the type exhibits they should bring in. But in the Political Correct world. You can’t hurt people’s feelings as the roll around in their scooters. Bubby and Sissy will be following their dad’s, Billy Joe Jim Bob, path down to serious health problems.

kpilcher

I thought Disney was gutsy with the Habit Heroes combating obesity a few years back. If they want to “educate” guest, these are the type exhibits they should bring in. But in the Political Correct world. You can’t hurt people’s feelings as the roll around in their scooters. Bubby and Sissy will be following their dad’s, Billy Joe Jim Bob, path down to serious health problems.
The IDEA of it was pretty good. The execution was, IMO more heavy-handed than Food Rocks (“who wants to hear that old nutrition stuff. We’re Excess! ) Yet part of me misses the Oliver Stone of animatronic singing food shows.

Steph15251

No. For so many reasons. Even if you found some content not to your taste (as in the royal you)
I have never been to epcot ,in the 80’s but I went for the very first time in 1990 ,not sure how close to the 80,s version that was,I was just 9 when I went.When I went I recall they had SSE,horizens,WIM,WOL,Journey into imagination etc.At only 9 I loved epcot

ThatMouse

"four neighborhoods that each speak to important aspects of the world and its people "
Not sure how Guardians of the Galaxy remotely fits into that unless our Marvel friends are going to educate us about renewable energy during a roller coaster ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom