News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Turtle Talk is good and often can talk about the sea and other elements, the ride at the beginning of the pavilion is just a rehash of the movie plot when as you say it could give so much more information about the sea life.
I would love it if they rethemed the Seas Pavillion as the Marine Life Institute from Finding Dory. And made the ride about Dory and Nemo touring the institute learning about Marine life.

tirian

Exactly, the tech shows are general business to business or business to journalists, they are showing off new products to get store buyers to stock them and journalists to write about them. As @OvertheHorizon stated, if companies want to advertise directly to the public there are multiple different ways they can do that now, including their own social media and youtube and influencers, bloggers and youtubers media.
You both make great points, but I’ve attended a few of those shows. There’s real stuff out there that’s similar to what you see in movies, and it’s completely different to experience it in person. Heck, I can watch shows online too, but it’s still a different experience from live theater.

I’m not saying those exhibits would be E-tickets. I’m saying they could’ve filled in gaps to make Future World feel less hollow. But the gaps don’t matter anymore, because WDI is simply removing them with the new spine. And there will be less to do in Epcot 2024 than in Epcot 1994.

tirian

Technology has made the original business model for Epcot obsolete. Disney could promise companies millions of annual visitors (with good disposable income) to which they could showcase their products and services by sponsoring a pavilion in Future World. Now those same companies can reach the same audiences via the Internet at a lower cost than investing millions annually with Disney.

I would hate to see Epcot lose its promise of showcasing new technology. Perhaps in the same way that they host "food and spirits" festivals for a couple of months at a time, they could host the theme-park equivalent of cutting edge trade shows. I'd be just as happy to schedule my visit during one of those times.
Remember, “tech” wasn’t the original business model for Epcot. None of the original pavilions showcased tech for its own sake; and when Horizons opened, it was more about possibilities than trade show tech.

Inspiration, discovery, optimism, and world culture formed EPCOT Center’s business model.

Yes, many of the original attractions were products of late-70s planning, and looked hokey by the early 90s. But the themes of human progress and cooperation are still important today—some fans think they’re more important as the Internet has brought out the worst in a few loud people of all persuasions. Cynicism, not optimism, controls the media cycle we live in.

Now Epcot is going to be Magic Kingdom 2.0 to showcase cartoons and comic book characters, because execs have decided that’s the only way to build a theme park. Corporate cynicism has won: the idea that fans are too stupid to appreciate anything but fantasy characters, despite Epcot’s success for 35 years.

Epcot was never about tech. It was about celebrating our heritage and discovering our future in the real world. It was the last product of Walt Disney Productions to serve Walt’s crazy ideas of making money while also having a higher purpose,* and it wasn’t even the city he had actually planned.

*as seen in his determination to make animation a respectable art form, to make TV a place for movie-quality storytelling, to build a park where families could have fun together, and to build a prototype city to show the world what could be done. The man wasn’t perfect, but all his business plans served higher ideals than coldly making money.

Last edited:

starri42

Remember, “tech” wasn’t the original business model for Epcot. None of the original pavilions showcased tech for its own sake; and when Horizons opened, it was more about possibilities than trade show tech.
And it had the General Electric logo slapped everywhere.

note2001

The days of "Wow! What if... " are gone in the days of Disney. Dreaming about the future is out and being fed the narrative is in.
It's all about social media and oversharing. Cue the Instagram walls, YouTube postings of of events and Drinking around the World. They want others to see and desire to copy or one-up the experience. Even the merchandise is now reflecting this attitude.

Disney still wants the place to look great but for now we've gone from a society of dreams and science to one all about the instantaneous gratification of the party and showing off. It's fun but wears out quickly in my book. I still look to make rich memories and I know eventually society will come back around to this.

Dreaming has changed to being fed what to think. The new shows, fireworks or fountain based, all force the stories of the past onto us with projections and narration and eliminate the internal self-interpretation.

If we see a new fountain in the place of FON here it won't be just a bunch of pretty jets dancing to music. It will have a line of "Remember, Disney is great, now show your friends."

I fear for Spaceship Earth and what updates they will do to it.

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I'm not familiar with the organizational aspect of The Walt Disney Co. Do they have a Dept. that looks after the historical/legacy preservation of Disney? I wonder if the people who make these decisions consult the archives for reference?

It appears that it's all about "cool" and "hip" these days. For many, Disney Parks are much more than an image on social media. The fountain meant something, the way it was dedicated says it all. If I wanted a "cool" fountain I'd go to Las Vegas!

If they decided to whack it, they better build something special, something that has a meaning, something that is more than a profitable update.

I understand that EPCOT is supposed to evolve, not decline.

tirian

I'm not familiar with the organizational aspect of The Walt Disney Co. Do they have a Dept. that looks after the historical/legacy preservation of Disney? I wonder if the people who make these decisions consult the archives for reference?

It appears that it's all about "cool" and "hip" these days. For many, Disney Parks are much more than an image on social media. The fountain meant something, the way it was dedicated says it all. If I wanted a "cool" fountain I'd go to Las Vegas!

If they decided to whack it, they better build something special, something that has a meaning, something that is more than a profitable update.

I understand that EPCOT is supposed to evolve, not decline.
No, because — sadly enough — they don’t care. Not a single leader in the current exec leadership team cares about anything except owning the most brands in modern entertainment. Quality is iffy (e.g. Nutcracker, Disney channel); legacy doesn’t matter (e.g. censoring old cartoons that are products of their time, using the Disney Channel Mickey in the ride); new brands are exploited to death (Star Wars, and soon Marvel).

No one cares about the company’s history or traditional importance except how the nostalgia can be used to sell more stuff.

Iger was a weatherman who came to Disney when Eisner bought ABC. Chapek oversaw the conversion of Disney Stores from the classic experience to plastic toys.

But lest I sound cynical, I’ve simply accepted this sad fact. I keep the “Magic” and wonder alive by watching Walt’s classics, and by choosing to overlook the greed and simply have fun when I’m in parks. Plus, I visit many other locations around the world to keep theme park entertainment in perspective. :)

EJ96

Do we even know for sure that the name Future World is sticking around? I know that rumor is on the Rumor Tracker, but I hadn’t heard anymore about it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm wondering how they're going to route traffic to FW West....I'm guessing guests may have to go past the club Cool area toward Journey to get to the other pavilions while they demolish the innoventions buildings. I'm going to miss the A/C break!!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Does the closure include the SpectacuLAB?? Because that show was honestly pretty good! Loved those science students/actors. Very cool especially for kids.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No, because — sadly enough — they don’t care. Not a single leader in the current exec leadership team cares about anything except owning the most brands in modern entertainment. Quality is iffy (e.g. Nutcracker, Disney channel); legacy doesn’t matter (e.g. censoring old cartoons that are products of their time, using the Disney Channel Mickey in the ride); new brands are exploited to death (Star Wars, and soon Marvel).

No one cares about the company’s history or traditional importance except how the nostalgia can be used to sell more stuff.

Iger was a weatherman who came to Disney when Eisner bought ABC. Chapek oversaw the conversion of Disney Stores from the classic experience to plastic toys.

But lest I sound cynical, I’ve simply accepted this sad fact. I keep the “Magic” and wonder alive by watching Walt’s classics, and by choosing to overlook the greed and simply have fun when I’m in parks. Plus, I visit many other locations around the world to keep theme park entertainment in perspective. :)

Just remember what someone in another thread told me recently, if Disney tries to go back to they way they used to run the parks it would result in retirees not being able to pay their bills. Think of the elderly when you criticize Disney's next big money grabbing move. ;)

Princess Leia

Funny you should mention the Astuter Computer Revue- the only known footage was recently uploaded to Youtube:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom