News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Oriolesmagic

You know, I'm not a big fan of characters taking over EPCOT, but I would not be opposed to Universe of Energy (which, let's face it, would be hard to make worse at this point) being made into a massive Wall-E attraction focusing primarily on alternative forms of energy.

An alternative would be a Wall-E show replacing the current Circle of Life movie in The Land, though I personally think there's bigger fish to fry. (UOE, Figment, M:S, Innoventions)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
How do we edu-tain a generation raised on the internet who have a cel phone in their hands that is capable of the wildest techno ability we ever imagined back in the 80's?
Future tech is a losing race for a theme park.
In my opinion Future World would be better served by Wall-e, and Baymax beig worked into the old show buildings.

Yet the mathematics and underlying principles on which the cell phones communicate were patented in the 1940's by Hedy Lamarr, Yes THAT Hedy Lamarr .

http://www.billhung.net/ee20/InventerHedyLamarr.htm

Yes the electronics would have filled a semi trailer in the 1940's and even in the 1970's they would have filled a double wide refrigerator. But the PRINCIPLES existed as far back as the 1940's.

Integrated circuits used to be laid out using chartpak tapes on huge sheets of red acetate, Now they are laid out using X-ray lithography directed by computers.

All that has changed is the IMPLEMENTATION of the technology, not the foundational principles.

Heck look at 3D printing, It started using filaments, now it includes selectively hardenable liquid resins and even printing metal objects directly.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

Yet the mathematics and underlying principles on which the cell phones communicate were patented in the 1940's by Hedy Lamarr, Yes THAT Hedy Lamarr .

8013821358_b05e9ce7d0.jpg

"It's Hedley... HEDLEY."

lazyboy97o

How do we edu-tain a generation raised on the internet who have a cel phone in their hands that is capable of the wildest techno ability we ever imagined back in the 80's?
Future tech is a losing race for a theme park.
In my opinion Future World would be better served by Wall-e, and Baymax beig worked into the old show buildings.
And yet most of this year's Thea Award recipients are edutainment type offers. Millennial a are opting to live in denser neighborhoods. The whole idea of technology supplanting actual experiences is a myth.

MerlinTheGoat

The upgrades needed to keep Future World fresh are overblown. They're upgrades I would expect of any Disney park, stagnation harms all theme parks. Of the original Future World rides, the only ride that even needed substantial upgrades was Horizons. Arguably Universe of Energy needed help as well. Communicore just needed minor updating to remain fresh. There are plenty of new technologies that won't be available to the public for decades (graphene for instance).

Spaceship Earth was well cared for until 2007. Imagination 1.0 needed absolutely nothing and wasn't outdated. Same with World of Motion. Living Seas was better before Nemo, what it arguably could have used was a new ride (something more substantial than the seacabs, i've seen concept art of such a ride). Wonders of Life also didn't warrant a change or closure, though again a new ride addition would have been welcome. I still love Living with the Land, only the videos in the barn are really in need of updating.

Even Horizons wasn't as outdated as some claim. Residential space colonies and underwater cities are still just as exciting and futuristic as ever (and just as out of reach to the general public). Real flying cars aren't any closer to happening either. Even fiber optic communication. video phones and electric cars are in their infancy for public availability. Still decades out before they actually become common and widely available.

Much of the original EPCOT Center would have still been futuristic today. The changes that would have been needed were largely cosmetic in nature. What I mean by that for example- flying cars are still as futuristic, exciting and out of reach as ever. What has changed over the years are aesthetic car designs. Nothing that should warrant the loss of a classic and fantastic ride.

Minor visual plussing to ride scenes every 5 years or so isn't difficult or expensive.

Chris82

The upgrades needed to keep Future World fresh are overblown. They're upgrades I would expect of any Disney park, stagnation harms all theme parks. Of the original Future World rides, the only ride that even needed substantial upgrades was Horizons. Arguably Universe of Energy needed help as well. Communicore just needed minor updating to remain fresh. There are plenty of new technologies that won't be available to the public for decades (graphene for instance).

Spaceship Earth was well cared for until 2007. Imagination 1.0 needed absolutely nothing and wasn't outdated. Same with World of Motion. Living Seas was better before Nemo, what it arguably could have used was a new ride (something more substantial than the seacabs, i've seen concept art of such a ride). Wonders of Life also didn't warrant a change or closure, though again a new ride addition would have been welcome. I still love Living with the Land, only the videos in the barn are really in need of updating.

Even Horizons wasn't as outdated as some claim. Residential space colonies and underwater cities are still just as exciting and futuristic as ever (and just as out of reach to the general public). Real flying cars aren't any closer to happening either. Even fiber optic communication. video phones and electric cars are in their infancy for public availability. Still decades out before they actually become common and widely available.

Much of the original EPCOT Center would have still been futuristic today. The changes that would have been needed were largely cosmetic in nature. What I mean by that for example- flying cars are still as futuristic, exciting and out of reach as ever. What has changed over the years are aesthetic car designs. Nothing that should warrant the loss of a classic and fantastic ride.

Minor visual plussing to ride scenes every 5 years or so isn't difficult or expensive.

Were any of those rides actually changed because they were outdated, though? I think in the case of Spaceship Earth, World of Motion, and Imagination at least it had to do with sponsorship changes or demands (or maybe I'm misremembering...). Innoventions is probably the one area most vulnerable to "out of date" claims, but it changes so frequently anyway. The real problem with Future World may not be its reliance on the future so much as its reliance on corporations who may not see any value to sponsoring an Epcot pavilion. Maybe if we all went out right now and bought all the Siemens stock we could...

FigmentJedi

I'd argue even if Wonders of Life stayed open, Cranium Command could have used an update. It was pretty 80s after all.

And the interesting thing about World of Motion was that Test Track was originally designed as a second attraction for the pavilion rather then a total replacement. They could have let them co-exist.

MerlinTheGoat

I'd argue even if Wonders of Life stayed open, Cranium Command could have used an update. It was pretty 80s after all.

And the interesting thing about World of Motion was that Test Track was originally designed as a second attraction for the pavilion rather then a total replacement. They could have let them co-exist.
I'm not saying some of the ones I brushed over couldn't have used any upgrades. But they're more minor than the others I mentioned. As I said, more cosmetic than changing the entire attraction from a conceptual standpoint. I don't disagree with you on Cranium Command, but it wouldn't have been as difficult as updating Horizons (which again I don't even believe was as difficult to keep updated as others have claimed).

I'd readily take "stuck in the 80's" Cranium Command over what it is currently. Even if they never updated it.

I'm familiar with the concepts to maintain World of Motion and build Test Track (or some variant of it) around the pavilion. They had plenty of space to do this, it's a horrible shame we lost a classic for this mess.

Ralphlaw

New films, such as the preshow for Mission Space, shouldn't be that hard. One star actor to do most of the talking, and a few Equity people with a line or two or non-speaking extras. Yeah, you need a nice camera and some sets, but it doesn't sound much harder than the full day shoots they need to make a good TV commercial.

I also agree that $350m could do wonders. Revitalizing Soarin' is a nice idea, but Imagination and Energy (and Wonders of Life for that matter) are hugely underutilized--as is Innoventions. A new and truly great Imagination would be great, and doing something with Wonders of Life would be a huge plus.

Brad Bishop

People talk a lot how Nemo wasn't done right and to some extent I agree BUT I don't think that the on ride adventure has to include the learning aspect. There's the whole aquarium section when you get off of the ride where you can explore and learn about all sorts of sea life. The cast members are rather knowledgeable and are glad to share information with you. I see the actual ride as a transition into the learning environment that's offered after you exit the ride. Seeing Nemo and friends gets the little ones excited and maybe they will stick around after to explore the sea life that's being offered.

Even taking the learning aspect out of Nemo, it's still a poor ride. I get off of it and don't think, "That was neat experience!," or, "They whisked me away to another world!," but, instead, think, "What did I just see?" The problem is that, while all of the Nemo characters are there and, I'll grant you, the projections into the tank really are cool, it really feels like they just stuck a bunch of Nemo AA's along a Omni-mover and said, "Done!"

To contrast: Other rides (classic rides) take you to another world. You feel like you're in the Caribbean, in a haunted house with ghosts, in a magical room where the birds all sing. Nemo is: Retread a ride, stick in some AAs - it'll make the kids happy. It doesn't feel like there was any further thought than that.

For the rest of the pavilion, it seems empty. I think I've seen the manatee once or twice and some dolphins just once but there's really nothing else to look at. It feels like an abandoned Sea Lab 2020.

Ralphlaw

For the rest of the pavilion, it seems empty. I think I've seen the manatee once or twice and some dolphins just once but there's really nothing else to look at. It feels like an abandoned Sea Lab 2020.

They need one of those tunnels that we can walk through to really see everything. Yeah, they're expensive, but Disney has far more money than those regional aquariums and museums that already have them.

Chris82

They need one of those tunnels that we can walk through to really see everything. Yeah, they're expensive, but Disney has far more money than those regional aquariums and museums that already have them.

Not bad - I wonder if you could do a whole glass tunnel so you could see fish above, to the sides, and below you? That might be pretty disorienting though lol

JoeCamel

Give it five years.

Or so.

I hope so, I hope I can return to an amazing EPCOT, an Avatar that knocks my socks off and a Star Wars land that is worth a whole day of being there. I hope so but I don't expect so. They have lost their core audience and only have the first timers left.

See you in five years and we will see what we can see. Probably a $1K AP at that time.

MaxW

this thread is a decade too early. i hope things are added to epcot soon, sadly it doesn't appear so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom