News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So...That "other" site is throwing a rumor out there that Future World would have a Hotel built either by The Land/Seas area or directly above the Main gate entrance ala DLP. While not blocking the view of SSE there would be two larger towers on either end to keep it in view to guests and utilize the monorail system as a resort line.....Seriously go look it up it's on that site..

My Reaction to it when I read it...
giphy.webp

Saw that too. Do they just pick a location and a service and see if people believe it? What’s next? STOLport runway dessert party?

They’re so behind. It’s old news now.

Not without some truth though.

Father Robinson

After staying at the Disneyland Hotel in Paris, putting a hotel at the entrance of Epcot is a terrible idea. The reason is; at first approaching the hotel and park is exciting. However, after paying a premium to stay at the flagship hotel, what you don't realize is everybody enters/exits the park under the hotel, and that traffic, takes the exclusivity, and magic out of it. People constantly hung around the hotel, and streams of loud people moving through it was disappointing. If they do decide to do this, I hope that the park guests are routed round the sides of the hotel, opposed though the center.
This X 1000

Father Robinson

As far as I know not yet.
Can they really justify ruining the entrance plaza and the first glimpse of one of the most iconic and unique structures ever built? This isn't DCA, this was Walt's last dream. Not that that should supersede progress, but that entrance plaza and the approach to it can be as exciting as the park itself. I just pray if they do this, they put it well to the side.

Timothy_Q

Can they really justify ruining the entrance plaza and the first glimpse of one of the most iconic and unique structures ever built? This isn't DCA, this was Walt's last dream. Not that that should supersede progress, but that entrance plaza and the approach to it can be as exciting as the park itself. I just pray if they do this, they put it well to the side.
If done well I don't see why it would ruin anything.
It *could* enhance it.

Just like Disneyland Paris and DisneySea

Magic Feather

@marni1971 , and other insiders please chime in, I read that Iger is retiring in spring 2019 and Chappy is the most likely candidate to replace him. Is Chappy viewed in any better light or provide a more promising future than Iger would have as CEO? If so, perhaps some of these delayed projects is a good thing until the new (/slightly newer) regime is running things???

EDIT: I see this similar topic is being covered here: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/ceo-bob-chapek.936201/
Thanks Martin for your reply.

All I can say for P&R is Chappy likes IP but he is also acting on the other Bobs orders.

Last I was told, IP was more of an Iger mandate and Chapek actually saw the warrant of *merchandisable* park originals ala SEA (which has been pushed).

GlacierGlacier

I keep hearing people praise and worry about the main entrance to epcot, but I have to say, the pre-gate experience of epcot is in my opinion the worst of all the parks. The monorail station blocks the view for guests walking in from the parking lot til they pass security, the bus stops and the walk from the bus stops to security is just horrendous, with dated fixtures and poor sight lines, and the entire approach (unless you arrive by car) is perpendicular to the park's central spine, blocking a clear view of SSE until you pass Guest Relations.

The big crux of this is security, which should be moved to a less annoying space than the tiny corners they inhabit now. Next up is Buses, which should be similar to Animal Kingdom's/Magic Kingdom's pronged walkways, instead of these funky boxes.

This is NOT a complaint about the parks entrance plaza past the gate. As soon as you scan your magicband and step in you forget the headache behind you. But seriously, anything behind that is dated, inefficient, or just plain stupid.

trainplane3

Last I was told, IP was more of an Iger mandate and Chapek actually saw the warrant of *merchandisable* park originals ala SEA (which has been pushed).
I'm more open to selling what the park has and capitalizing on it than grabbing the latest Pixar movie and cramming it over top an existing attraction. Sort of like the way they use Figment as the main "representative" for Epcots festivals by putting him on all the merchandise. It makes the park feel unique rather than "Frozen shirt #85 featuring a different background" that I could find in any other Disney park (or store).

smile

ability to appreciate that synergistic threads can flow in and from any medium should be a mandated prerequisite for both positions, methinks.

generally, is it not quite obvious by now there's merit in having some properties whose only true exposure can be had within park gates?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom