News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Goob

IMG_6266.JPG

Here's another. I think I have to get this one.

Last edited:

Viget

If the Star Wars hotel is successful and in high demand, I could imagine a Guardians of the Galaxy hotel similar in concept going behind the pavilion. I could also see a hotel being built above the entrance of the park. Not saying those are good ideas, or at all what they have planed, but I could envision them happening.

Then people would be "living" in Epcot... therefore fulfilling Walt's original vision!!

Forget GotG, I think they want to put a MARVEL hotel in. Just looked at the contract again... it's a little hazy but I think there's a loophole whereby Disney could develop a MARVEL hotel, as long as it isn't physically attached to EPCOT, and as long as they don't have any simulators or too much in the way of arcade games or merchandise. And I think they could use any character they want, and possibly even use the name MARVEL too. It all depends on whether a themed hotel constitutes a "Marvel Action Universe". It is specifically stated in the contract that a hotel is not considered a theme park or themed area for purposes of the Universal exclusivity rights, the catch is if they consider such a hotel a "Marvel Action Universe" which cannot be built within 60 miles of IoA.

Would make sense as it would be the *only* area you could meet&greet certain Marvel characters, so imagine the demand. And if this Disney360 SW hotel concept is a new thing for themed entertainment.. I would expect this hotel to be very similar in concept. Again, as long as you stay out of a "theme park" I think they can get away with the rights.

Am I barking up the right tree here, insiders?

No Name

Forget GotG, I think they want to put a MARVEL hotel in. Just looked at the contract again... it's a little hazy but I think there's a loophole whereby Disney could develop a MARVEL hotel, as long as it isn't physically attached to EPCOT, and as long as they don't have any simulators or too much in the way of arcade games or merchandise. And I think they could use any character they want, and possibly even use the name MARVEL too. It all depends on whether a themed hotel constitutes a "Marvel Action Universe". It is specifically stated in the contract that a hotel is not considered a theme park or themed area for purposes of the Universal exclusivity rights, the catch is if they consider such a hotel a "Marvel Action Universe" which cannot be built within 60 miles of IoA.

Would make sense as it would be the *only* area you could meet&greet certain Marvel characters, so imagine the demand. And if this Disney360 SW hotel concept is a new thing for themed entertainment.. I would expect this hotel to be very similar in concept. Again, as long as you stay out of a "theme park" I think they can get away with the rights.

Hmm I wasn't even thinking down that avenue... but it adds up so well. I gotta imagine this is the idea. Wow.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

This has been discussed in the past and I don't think we have every come to a consensus on whether they could do a Marvel themed hotel. The interesting question is, if they are allowed to do M&G's outside the parks with the restricted characters, why haven't they done it yet?

sedati

Here's Martin's latest tribute video to Epcot for World Of Motion.

Martin, thanks again for such tremendous work! Always thrilled to see some concept arts and construction footage I've never seen before.

I remember our first visit when the line did reach well out of the building (along with Imagination and Energy.) Completely uncovered and I don't remember them even using cordons- imagine the forum posts there would be about that today.

Do you know anything about the unused pre-show area? It was just to the left when you entered the building- at least that's what I've always heard, and yet I've never heard anything about what kind of show it would have been. A very odd shaped room either way.

Lastly, I'm always amazed how good my memory of these are. As you walked through Transcenter my immediate thought was "I hope he got footage of the Lean Machine." As I kid I really thought that would be my first vehicle (nope, a thoroughly un-futuristic Jeep Wrangler.) In your ride-through however, I've finally encountered something I have no memory of: the man on the raft in the Nile who is being nipped at by a crocodile. Perhaps he was too dimly lit or too low, but somehow I missed that scene entirely. Usually I'm just running on nostalgia with these, but this finally gave me a piece of vintage Epcot Center that was new to me. Thanks again, can't wait for what you've got next.

bclane

It was some pretty good number, made all the more impressive compared to the cars most still drove that got 10-12.
I went ahead and looked it up. According to http://www.3wheelers.com/gmlean.html

The original model was powered by a 15 hp 2-cylinder engine that produced a maximum speed of 80 mph with a fuel economy of 80 mpg at 40 mph. Shortly afterwards a second model was produced that was powered by a larger 38 hp engine. With a total body weight of 159kg this gave the vehicle outstanding performance and the Lean Machine was able to reach 60 mph in just 6.8 seconds with a fuel economy of over 200 mpg.

Yup, pretty darn impressive considering what cars were doing back in those days!

MaximumEd

Cool! We were doing research at the same time. Found one article with the 200 figure you posted for the 38hp model and one other article that said 100-150. Crazy impressive either way. One article said they also made a model to show the military called the Mean Machine, and that of the 5-6 prototypes of the LM made, that all still exist....somewhere. I still want one!

bclane

Cool! We were doing research at the same time. Found one article with the 200 figure you posted for the 38hp model and one other article that said 100-150. Crazy impressive either way. One article said they also made a model to show the military called the Mean Machine, and that of the 5-6 prototypes of the LM made, that all still exist....somewhere. I still want one!
Same here!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom