News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I honestly wouldn't be upset to see a tron coaster placed where UOE and the wonders of life pavilion are. I like the second Starbucks idea in UOE but that is a massive space that could be used for more than just a Starbucks.
We already basically have a Tron coaster, it's Test Track!
I mean, I know that in the future, we will all be physically sucked into computers and forced to fight for our lives against the Central Processing Unit, so at least Tron really fits into Future World...

Eastonm7

We already basically have a Tron coaster, it's Test Track!
I mean, I know that in the future, we will all be physically sucked into computers and forced to fight for our lives against the Central Processing Unit, so at least Tron really fits into Future World...
I meant like the one being built in Shanghai but yeah I hate the tron track. Thematically is the only reason I suggested it

DisneyOutsider

Nobody should get their hopes up because of this.

We've been down this road before... first-hand reports of Iger on-site expressing his disapproval, rumors of shifts in management that will lead to big changes...

I'm sure there are a lot of things that imagineers would love to do with FW, but the creativeness of imagineers has never been the issue.

JohnD

I'd still be fine with Bill hosting a new version though. Especially with how much he's been pushing for alternative energy sources in the face of climate change recently.

Also, I realize the first version was dated but I could really do without a 45 minute ride with Ellen on Jeopardy. At least the original show felt grander.

doctornick

Nobody should get their hopes up because of this.

We've been down this road before... first-hand reports of Iger on-site expressing his disapproval, rumors of shifts in management that will lead to big changes...

I'm sure there are a lot of things that imagineers would love to do with FW, but the creativeness of imagineers has never been the issue.

I'm certainly not getting my hopes up based on this report. However, I do have some hope that some positive changes are coming to Epcot due to the reported $350M being earmarked to the park (per trusted insiders). While I wouldn't expect that money to result in some massive overhaul, it should provide some some nice updates or additions in the relatively near future.

JohnD

I'm certainly not getting my hopes up based on this report. However, I do have some hope that some positive changes are coming to Epcot due to the reported $350M being earmarked to the park (per trusted insiders). While I wouldn't expect that money to result in some massive overhaul, it should provide some some nice updates or additions in the relatively near future.

While I was talking about EEA above, my priority would go to Imagination first. Frankly, it doesn't have any. I would love for 1.0 (with Dreamfinder) to come back, updated with 21st Century technology.

doctornick

While I was talking about EEA above, my priority would go to Imagination first. Frankly, it doesn't have any. I would love for 1.0 (with Dreamfinder) to come back, updated with 21st Century technology.

Yeah, that would be my priority as well -- replace Imagination with a good Imagination ride. And I'd also like to see something go back into WoL that is regularly opened for the public. Innoventions West also needs some new work. UoE would be a lower priority than those things, but would also be an option.

I'd also like to see another ride added to WS somewhere to help balance out that area.

For $350M, we hopefully would see 2 new rides out of it for Epcot, which I think the park needs.

DDLand

For what it's worth, his job is to be the creative lead of Epcot. I would hope that the Imagineers are constantly getting out to their theme parks and experiencing the parks they're supposed to be creating. The same holds true for the executives running the parks. We all know that they're managing the parks, one would hope they'd get out and experience them as much as possible. Apparently that doesn't happen all that often, but one would hope...

So good for him, and I'm glad he's out on the ground. There's nothing that beats seeing and understanding guest reaction in person. Epcot does have a sizable amount going on, and probably more unannounced. I'm not convinced that this tips us off to any particular project though. We'll see.

Monorail_Red_77

I was thinking. If they have to redo Imagination and go with something newer than the original. Perhaps at the least they could make it based on inside out. They could even incorporate a few show scenes of the original Imagination ride with Dreamfinder and Figment on prominent display. It could tie in like "Here's a happy memory from the past.... Then you go into the Imagination scenes. And then you go back to inside out and whatever scenes they would do.

Might be a way to have the best of both worlds. Imagination with new tech for the older guests nostalgia points and new theme for current IP tie-in. Although it not done properly it could be really bad too. Maybe not as bad as it is now though.

That is of course if they have to go a new route.

Ralphlaw

Some updates and new great stuff would be great, but it all comes down to economics. As long as Disney fills the place with fairly expensive admission fees, the urgency to change things will never be pronounced.

Put another way, many people complain that the parks are too crowded AND it costs too much to get in. At the same time, they complain that great new stuff isn't constantly being added. Supply and Demand, people. As long as the supply of open-walleted people continues to stream in, there will not be an overwhelming emergency to let the imagineers run wild. Econ 101. Love or hate it, but you can't ignore it.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

I was thinking. If they have to redo Imagination and go with something newer than the original. Perhaps at the least they could make it based on inside out. They could even incorporate a few show scenes of the original Imagination ride with Dreamfinder and Figment on prominent display. It could tie in like "Here's a happy memory from the past.... Then you go into the Imagination scenes. And then you go back to inside out and whatever scenes they would do.

Might be a way to have the best of both worlds. Imagination with new tech for the older guests nostalgia points and new theme for current IP tie-in. Although it not done properly it could be really bad too. Maybe not as bad as it is now though.

That is of course if they have to go a new route.
Hell no. The last thing we need is another attraction where the Movie Character Master Race lords itself over the Original Theme Park Character Peasantry. Executives keep thinking that's a "Having your cake and eating it too" deal for fans, but it's not. Just look at Tiki Room Under New Management, Haunted Mansion Holiday or the Jack Sparrow version of Pirates. Reducing Epcot's icons even further to "You are boring Tiki Birds, I'm a big cele-birdy" is just another slap to the face.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom