News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

flynnibus

Premium Member
EPCOT Center was designed, built, and opened during a time when there was a Cold War going on that threatened nuclear annihilation;[...]

I already acknowledged this in an earlier post.
All of them were loaded with the future optimism that had been replaced by gritty distopian futures popular in Hollywood in the era.

The 70s was a swing to the gritty from the optimism of the 50s after the tumultuous 60s

That is part of what made StarWars such a departure of the big blockbusters of the time. And part of the stark Disney contrast of EPCOT vs the landscape of the time. The Reagan swing and pull out of the economic drag of the late 70s lead to that consumerism 80s.

We as a people didn't get dumber or more craven (heck, today America, and the world, is notably less violent than it was 30-40 years ago), but large companies, Disney included, saw more dollar signs in selling us plush and whatnot because grand visions of the future cost money, unfortunately.

This is where we disagree. I do think people are getting dumber and more craven. The digital world we live in today means the types and volumes of information that can easily spread or be consumed is unlike anything in our past. The digital world means people can easily act out or behave differently with far greater reach than ever before. There is a reason the first thing every revolution does is try to control access to information. The degree to which a large portion of our country can get by without fearing consequence or learning the value of things contributes to this slobbery.

This is not a period of just new ideas, or new ideas gaining more visibility as in the past.. but an entire shift in how people learn, interact, and find entertainment.

Today's culture still wants to be inspired, but sadly inspiration is something that's harder to put a price tag on, so they're not as likely to market it to us. But don't forget, this is, believe it or not, a more civically engaged young generation than the previous few, one that does care about large scale big picture issues...but again, those are tougher to package and sell the traditional "gift shop" way, so here we are.

Not sure what the focus on materialism/merch has to do here... but when people are more interested in watched some plastic do nothing Kardashians instead of almost anything else.. or focusing on who put what on instagram... It's hard to get people to look at and be inspired about things that require them to do more than watch their TV or phone.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Perhaps that's Epcot's fault? I mean when has this cultural change shifted? Could it be directly correlated to the decline of ambition from the EPCOT Center days?

Well the midninties reboot of EPCOT was certainly less ambitious and less optimism than the late 70s EPCOT designs were. Where society is at the time I'm sure is a big player... after all it is a entertainment complex, not a piece of art/literature.. but at that period we hadn't lost our way yet. We were just still riding high from consumerism.

PorterRedkey

It will possibly receive its fifth version.

Possibly. And further down the line.
I hope they finish the decent for the 5th version unless that means an IP. As long as TDO doesn't give it the GMR treatment, I'm okay. That said, I would like an update to the narration script.

PorterRedkey

I hope they completely re-think the tone and bring it closer to the Irons Version.
I agree.
I must confess - I never rode the Irons version. This was part of what I call "my 15 year Disney gap". I left in 1993 and everything was pretty great! When I returned the difference was depressing. I was no toad slowly being brought to boil. When I returned I was thrust into the mediocrity of Epcot and it was painfully obvious. EPCOT Center was gone.
I lived in Portland, OR, so I was about as far as one could get from WDW. In the end, I am kind glad. It may have been even more traumatic if I was there to witness it.

I am really worried now that GotG is going into UoE. It's just a theme park, but it was a unique one and I miss it.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I hope they finish the decent for the 5th version unless that means an IP. As long as TDO doesn't give it the GMR treatment, I'm okay. That said, I would like an update to the narration script.

I'd like the script to not treat guests like utter idiots, like it used to not do. Lines like the lame, inane "think of it as the world's first backup system" and comparing the Roman system of roads to "the first world wide web" cause me to lose brain cells each time I ride. The rider should be able to either figure those things out on their own, or go read up on the topics and learn about them. If the people riding can't figure out what having multiple copies of books in separate locations and "north and south, all roads led to Rome" mean, if you have to dumb everything down, then perhaps those riding need to bring themselves up to the level of the script, not drop the intelligence level of the script down to the lowest common denominator.

HMF

I'd like the script to not treat guests like utter idiots, like it used to not do. Lines like the lame, inane "think of it as the world's first backup system" and comparing the Roman system of roads to "the first world wide web" cause me to lose brain cells each time I ride. The rider should be able to either figure those things out on their own, or go read up on the topics and learn about them. If the people riding can't figure out what having multiple copies of books in separate locations and "north and south, all roads led to Rome" mean, if you have to dumb everything down, then perhaps those riding need to bring themselves up to the level of the script, not drop the intelligence level of the script down to the lowest common denominator.
The current script is painful.

PorterRedkey

Disney is all about the lowest common denominator now, sadly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom