News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

yensidtlaw1969

If Future World is dropped. Is this a move towards "Epcot by the S.E.A."? Where the Society of Explorers and Adventurers expand on their attempts to collect, presents, preserve and protect the memory and mythology of the Land on which we have lived, the vast Seas of the planet, the world of Transportation that connects us, humanities capacity for Imagination, and our mission to extend our reach beyond earth. In addition to Showcase the diversity of cultures and mythos of countries scattered across the globe?
I think it's a bit of a leap to imagine that S.E.A. might be coming to Epcot.

Kman101

But...but....what about our belovéd Spaceship Earth?? (I know they're going in a different direction, I'm just trying to figure out what the difference will be between it and Tomorrowland.)

I don't think this appears to be in jeopardy but who knows? I don't think the attraction needs the lands name to be Future World in order to exist. It's separate from all the pavilions.

Haymarket2008

The theme of "future" being dropped is ok if a theme of discovery and learning replaces it. Discovery Showcase and World Showcase are 2 themes that could easily coexist and carry on the true spirit of Epcot Center.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Which, if executed well, could be really effective. I have high hopes.

sedati

That's a bit of a misunderstood quote. The majority of Futureworld was about the present and the future.

Spaceship Earth, Universe of Energy, World of Motion, Journey Into Imagination- at best they threw a nod to what may come.
Communicore, Living Seas, and Horizons certainly.
Living with the Land and was evenly split, but "Kitchen Kabaret?" "Symbiosis"
Wonders of Life had "Frontiers of Medicine" tucked off into a little nook, but "Body Wars" was more sci-fi than science, and it was really just a creative way to look into a body, none of it really had anything to do with future science which is odd because nano-surgery could someday be a thing. "Goofy About Health?" "Cranium Command?"

I'm not trying to put it down, I absolutely loved Epcot Center. Future World had some incredibly advanced inner workings, but on the surface it looked far more futuristic than the stories it was telling.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Really, though, Electric Umbrella could seriously use an overhaul or a complete change. That's really the only option in the front of the park. I love the food area in The Land, but my son is super picky so if there's no pizza, fries or nuggets its a no go. :(

I would be shocked if Electric Umbrella as it currently exists survives the spine refurbishment.
Electric Unbrella is what... 100ft from each east Pavilion? Hardly a disaster.

There again they could reopen Odyssey. Like they used to.

And of course Sunrise Terrace.

And it is technically east of the centerline...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
How about a whole Pavilion in that golden dome between Energy and Space that does next to nothing?
Maybe a bowling alley? When I saw the movie Inside Out, I kept getting this irresistible urge to go bowling... I don't know why...
InsideOut55830c82ed2a4.0.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's a bit of a misunderstood quote. The majority of Futureworld was about the present and the future.

It's seems that only a minority of Future World was about the future, or, at least, that's how it turned out. The Sea was just an aquarium. Soarin was present day sights. Figment was vaguely about how imagination could bring in the future, but not much future there. Captain EO was not about space exploration, but a Musical Space Opera. Spaceship Earth was a history lesson. Test Track didn't offer the future of transportation. UoE was more about fossil fuels and dinosaurs. Etc...

The truly futuristic things about Future World, like the Living with the Land and Mission Space, were few, and many of them became outdated fast. Disney and the pavilion sponsors were not committed to constantly updating featured tech that become old hat. Unlike a World's Fair that popped up every decade to feature new tech, "Future World" wound up with decades old tech.

"Human Achievement and Exploration" would have been a better moniker for the land. Don't know how GotG will fit into that. But then again, the much beloved Captain Eo never fit, either.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's seems that only a minority of Future World was about the future, or, at least, that's how it turned out. The Sea was just an aquarium. Soarin was present day sights. Figment was vaguely about how imagination could bring in the future, but not much future there. Captain EO was not about space exploration, but a Musical Space Opera. Spaceship Earth was a history lesson. Test Track didn't offer the future of transportation. UoE was more about fossil fuels and dinosaurs. Etc...

Uhhmmm. Heck no. Do not confuse the use of history to prove/establish your postulation as history lessons.

Seas was all about exploration and advancing what we could do with this resource. It was setup as an underwater base for petes sake

SSE was showing how critical communications was to our development and lead you to see it's a critical thread in how we progress forward

Land had a huge emphasis on understanding how we are moving forward in sustainable ways

Imagination was filled with high tech toys that were cutting edge and the shows message was to inspire you to believe in the importance of unbounded creativity

Uoe and wom like SSE used the history recaps to establish the significance of their key theme then showed how we are evolving and preaching the importance for going forward.

Horizons was similar but much more biased timeline to the future and presenting possibilities.

All of them were loaded with the future optimism that had been replaced by gritty distopian futures popular in Hollywood in the era.

And I didn't even touch communicore

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Spaceship Earth, Universe of Energy, World of Motion, Journey Into Imagination- at best they threw a nod to what may come.
Communicore, Living Seas, and Horizons certainly.
Living with the Land and was evenly split, but "Kitchen Kabaret?" "Symbiosis"
Wonders of Life had "Frontiers of Medicine" tucked off into a little nook, but "Body Wars" was more sci-fi than science, and it was really just a creative way to look into a body, none of it really had anything to do with future science which is odd because nano-surgery could someday be a thing. "Goofy About Health?" "Cranium Command?"

I'm not trying to put it down, I absolutely loved Epcot Center. Future World had some incredibly advanced inner workings, but on the surface it looked far more futuristic than the stories it was telling.
Spaceship Earth - 2/3 past
Energy - 2/3 past
Horizons - 1/4 past.
Motion - 75% past, as described as the history of transportation. In a futuristic building.
Body Wars was most certainly set in the future. The series of preshows set this up (and I just watched them all this morning funnily enough). The pavilion was a futuristic building housing the playground of today.
Seas - future, beyond the queue
Land - Symbiosis touched on the past. Everything else was present or future.
Communicore - future.
Imagination - timeless. The only nod to the past was part of Makin' Memories.

As you can see, Futureworld being predominantly set in the past is an incorrect quote.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom