Big changes coming to Annual Passes

Horizons1

For my family, the answer to your question is simply despite the annual price increases, closing attractions and dwindling benefits, we still enjoyed the product and found it to be a good value for our entertainment dollars.

Now...the changes will likely mean the non-renewal of our passes as they have finally passed the threshold of a reasonable value and what our budget can handle.

We were original PH's, as well, until my dad started working for the Mouse in '91.
'82 and still going for some reason.

WDWYankee15

I apologize if this was already covered, I did not read through 39 pages of this post.

Is there a difference in the "PhotoPass" product that is included with the new Gold, Platinum, Platinum Plus AP's and My Memory Maker?

I am and I believe so are a lot of people assuming it is the same, but does anyone know for sure? Do you get all the ride videos they have now and can you add all the borders to customize your photos as you can with My Memory Maker?

NearTheEars

I apologize if this was already covered, I did not read through 39 pages of this post.

Is there a difference in the "PhotoPass" product that is included with the new Gold, Platinum, Platinum Plus AP's and My Memory Maker?

I am and I believe so are a lot of people assuming it is the same, but does anyone know for sure? Do you get all the ride videos they have now and can you add all the borders to customize your photos as you can with My Memory Maker?

The photo pass perk allows digital downloads of photos taken by the photographers in the park. It's not clear if it will include the new ride videos and such.

Sonconato

Here's something to think about:

Prices of passes have increased for what we think is to possibly get the crowds under control. The thought is that higher prices will turn some people away, thus resulting in less crowds at the parks. What if everyone who has a pass now renews when their current pass expires and then other people who aren't sure (like Disneyhead'71) buy a pass. Everyone feels that because they've paid more for the pass, they have to go more often to make each trip cheaper, to justify the higher cost of the pass. Everyone is going more often and instead of crowds thinning out...they actually get worse...

Hmm...
This is exactly what I'm predicting is going to happen!

erstwo

ok...so I am ok with this i guess. I have a seasonal pass and while it is a hike, i do like the added parking. It almost makes me want to get a Gold for the photopass.

I realize this is a hot button issue. If you haven't been to the parks lately you wouldn't understand. The parks are PACKED, everyday all day, slow season, busy season, mornings, nights. Truthfully this is really only partially about money. People will pay for Disney no matter the price. I went to food and Wine and got my passholders wine glass last weekend. The passholders line to get a stamp/glass was over 30 minutes long with over 20 cast members working it. It was insane.

THIS. This all day long. There were maybe 3 hotels with availability this week for a trip. The first week of October and I could only book the Grand Floridian DVC, Old Key West 2 bedroom, and some weird $500 a night CSR room. There are NO downtimes anymore, Disney's marketing team is to be handed a gold medal, a huge bonus, and the keys to the kingdom because WDW has become the place you MUST go, you MUST take your kids. Not just once, but as many times as possible and people are going to keep paying the higher prices.

TeriofTerror

THIS. This all day long. There were maybe 3 hotels with availability this week for a trip. The first week of October and I could only book the Grand Floridian DVC, Old Key West 2 bedroom, and some weird $500 a night CSR room. There are NO downtimes anymore, Disney's marketing team is to be handed a gold medal, a huge bonus, and the keys to the kingdom because WDW has become the place you MUST go, you MUST take your kids. Not just once, but as many times as possible and people are going to keep paying the higher prices.
I'll bet that if nothing else, this will help them get rid of Free Dining. With the tiered pricing pushing people to the "Value Season", it seems only logical (IMHO) that they'll use this as a tool to ditch that particular promotion.

BigThunderMatt

There are NO downtimes anymore, Disney's marketing team is to be handed a gold medal, a huge bonus, and the keys to the kingdom because WDW has become the place you MUST go, you MUST take your kids.

They'll probably chalk it up to MyMagic+ too despite the fact that that has little, if anything to do with it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'll bet that if nothing else, this will help them get rid of Free Dining. With the tiered pricing pushing people to the "Value Season", it seems only logical (IMHO) that they'll use this as a tool to ditch that particular promotion.

I think we will see MORE free dining than ever, Remember Disney pushes 'Free Dining' extensively for the UK and S. American market because it sells rooms at rack rate, then they give huge ticket discounts to these same markets to get them INTO the parks to buy merchandise.

The strategy now really is 'One And Done', WDW no longer really cares about the US based customers they want people who will come stay in full price hotel rooms and buy LOTS of the cheaply made merchandise to take home with them.

Current management truly is strip mining the Disney brand.

PS has anyone else noticed that the new TV ads are almost all Disneyland based?

Mouse_Trap

What is a Universal preferred pass? I may need to expand my horizons.

I would definitely try it for a year. Heck, I recommend it to anyone.

If many did the same, Disney would loose millions of park days, Universal would gain millions of park days and Disney would soon revise their pricing strategy. Loosing huge numbers is the only way the mouse if going to stop being so busy.

The Universal tickets are currently far better value all around. Don't forget they be opening Kong in Spring, and their new water park and Nintendo-land won't be far behind in the pipeline.

Universal has upped their game so much in recent years, and their future offering I believe blow away what the Mouse is promising to being to a distant party. Universal isn't perfect but it's improving at a rate way ahead of Disney.
It's such a shame that so many people are blinkered by Disney and don't even look outside WDW. It's exactly this that let's them get away with this price gouging.

The best bit, you don't have to reserve your dining 6 months in advance and commit to a specific park and rides 3 months in advance.
Disney has become a nightmare for any spontaneity, it's still alive and thriving just up the Interstate.

That's without beginning to mention the pricing and quality difference of their on-site hotels.....

https://tickets.universalorlando.com/Ticket-Store/PurchaseTickets.aspx?AnnualPass

Universal has three levels of pass:
Power $240 - blackout dates, no free parking
Preferred $335 - no blackout dates & free parking
Premier $480 - no blackout dates, free preferred parking or free valet parking, free Express Pass (after 4pm) and includes free Halloween Horror Nights (non-peak nights)

There's also additional benefits like discounted hotel, food and drinks included in all passes.

Florida Residents get the same ticket options but at a cheaper price.
Power $215
Preferred $300
Premier $430

I love how a bunch of people are saying "Disney needs the money to build Star Wars, that's why they raised the prices."

They're almost right though.
Disney sure doesn't need the money to built it, but it does seems they're increasing prices to pay for it.
Shows the business they have, most places have to build first, charge more later. Disney just does it in reverse.

Here's the thing. 50 million people went to WDW last year. It's pretty clear they haven't reached the tipping point yet.

WDW isn't a charity, I'm not here to spout off that's "it's a business", but let's be honest...It's not anyone's right to go to WDW. If you can't afford it, then you can't afford it. I can't afford to fly first class to Maui every year. So I don't go to Maui. WDW is a luxury item. They are pricing themselves as such.

Well almost. 50 million park days, probably more like 15-20 million different people. They'd love to have 50m different people, because their merchandise sales would be stratospheric.
I doubt they could cope with the logistics of it mind.

From a business POV I completely agree. Is just not the vision the company was founded on.
From everything I've read, Walt & Roy didn't want to strip people bare. They wanted to charge a fair price and provide good value.

It's the problem when you have huge groups of shareholders all wanting maximum return. Nobody is saying, "jeeze you know what, we're making a good income here, lets not screw prices to the maximum permissible".

It's a shame that US Guests can't purchase the 7,14,or 21 Ultimate ticket like International guests can..http://www.disneyholidays.co.uk/wal...ouseSavers.com&utm_campaign=Editorial+Content

If you know someone living abroad you could, even collect the tickets at 'will call'.

They're not always the great deal some people here make out. Of course it depends on how you use them, but for us generally we'd buy the US tickets as they are better value for money for what we want.

We'd generally buy the 4 day ticket with water park option so getting 8 days. That costs $338
The comparable UK ticket would provide 7 days costing $366, or 14 day ticket costing $384.

The issue is we don't come all the way to Florida just see see WDW, that feels a waste. We also want to go to Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure & Sea World as a minimum. Maybe even Busch Gardens too.

The UK tickets are good value if you want 14 or 21 days exclusively at Disney, especially if you buy hopper tickets and water parks. For the shorter visits there's no value in them

Here's something to think about:

Prices of passes have increased for what we think is to possibly get the crowds under control. The thought is that higher prices will turn some people away, thus resulting in less crowds at the parks. What if everyone who has a pass now renews when their current pass expires and then other people who aren't sure (like Disneyhead'71) buy a pass. Everyone feels that because they've paid more for the pass, they have to go more often to make each trip cheaper, to justify the higher cost of the pass. Everyone is going more often and instead of crowds thinning out...they actually get worse...

Hmm...

Certainly could happen. But I don't believe they're really trying to decrease the number of AP holders or even the amount of times they visit.

Someone has just decided that AP were just too good a deal, and that there was more money that could be leveraged from them.

lazyboy97o

First week of October is almost always bad for hotel rooms because it is the week of Gartner Symposium. It's over 10,000 people traveling alone and on expense accounts.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
First week of October is almost always bad for hotel rooms because it is the week of Gartner Symposium. It's over 10,000 people traveling alone and on expense accounts.

If you time it right though it can work out well. I was at the Dolphin for 4 nights and checked out the morning the conference was to begin. Because of the blocks on rooms beginning Sunday you could get some really good deals on the rooms the nights right before, provided you checked out Sunday morning. A little obtrusive with them putting all the conference signs up during my stay but overall not too bad.

Sunday morning/afternoon was crazy with every public room taken up by people in suits with badges, all of them fervent disciples of their smartphones, tablets, and laptops.

PhotoDave219

The amount of free dining packages that were made available were rather few this year.

The demand far outweighs the availability. I'd make a freeloaders reference but then things get ugly.

NearTheEars

The amount of free dining packages that were made available were rather few this year.

The demand far outweighs the availability. I'd make a freeloaders reference but then things get ugly.

I guess I never realized they were capped. I thought they just handed those out like crazy to get people to stay on property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom