News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

EricsBiscuit

I actually disagree. We were there recently and I commented to my wife that if MK was built today they never would have dug Bay Lake. Too expensive, no reason for it and shareholders would lose their $%!$. They would pave over it. I love the boats and monorail. It makes me feel like I am going to a totally different dimension in a way. We love the separatedness of it
They built Shanghai DL with the large man made Wishing Star Lake right in front of it.

Phicinfan

I’m very mixed on a Cars Land even though I think it’s very well designed. I just feel it should stay exclusive to DCA because that park needs something unique like that.

If they wanna get the maximum out that space three attractions minimal need to be added in my opinion.

But I’m not Disney so at the end of the day I have no control. The original concept art had the right idea so I hope they continue it.
I don't disagree. Cars land would not be my choice or preference. That being said, you can add more attractions even if you reduce the number of IPs or "mini" lands.

MK needs at least one solid dark ride and one solid other "D"/"E" and then add some simple smaller attractions to fill out the area.

I don't think it ever happens, but a new opening on that side of park would be great as well, but with the way the TTC is set up, I don't see them doing that.

Bocabear

I actually disagree. We were there recently and I commented to my wife that if MK was built today they never would have dug Bay Lake. Too expensive, no reason for it and shareholders would lose their $%!$. They would pave over it. I love the boats and monorail. It makes me feel like I am going to a totally different dimension in a way. We love the separatedness of it
Bay Lake was actually there....now Seven Seas Lagoon is another matter...lol But your point is solid...nowadays they can't move a drainage ditch without a hundred environmental impact studies and a million dollars....

Purduevian

We're looking at a maximum expansion area of 14 acres. It's big, but it's not THAT big.
I get ~20acres of land. for reference Cars land is about 10 acers, and fantasy springs (including the hotel) is ~20 acers. This map assumes they would move some backstage stuff and re-route the railroad somehow... However, they also could shorten ROA, move that back canal, or bridge over the Utilidor entrance to gain a ton more land.

1714740252083.png

Suppose the Cars rumor is true. If that was to happen, would anything need to be done to BTM to make both attractions meld together better from am aesthetics standpoint?

If they are taking disparate IPs and placing them together in a new land, I assume that the approach will be similar to the other original lands in MK. In Tomorrowland we have Tron, Buzz, Monsters Inc with some classic anchor attractions. This is what makes me wonder if the same approach will happen here. Cars, Toy Story, the classic BTM and maybe another train station location is added. There would have to be merchandise and food -kiosks, QS and TS. It won’t literally just be 3 attractions with nothing else, if that is what is even happening.
L
In the same way that Barnstormer is technically a Space Mountain style ride, yes I suppose so, but I think what people were getting at was the ride experience. But I too think that RSR and TT are similar experiences and would seem odd to have them in the same park at any rate, if not the same resort, whereas I don't see any similarity between TT and Dinosaur at all. I also think it's odd to have Web Slingers and Toy Story Mania in the same park, not only similar ride system but similar experience.
To the last point l, I get it in theory, but to me personally webslingers and TSM feel really different, despite both being gamified and moving from targets to targets. I rode Webslingers in l2021 and remember being excited that I’d managed to snag it in the virtual queue. I really didn’t enjoy it - pre show fine but had no desire to do it again. I found the game really underwhelming. Meanwhile I’ll do TSM multiple times, if have the opportunity. Not sure what it is - the aiming feeling less β€œspammy”? The little effects in TSM? The fun of being just with one other loved one in TSM? Anyhow, my point has really wandered - just meant to point how sometimes conceptually similar rides can feel so different. I wish the webslingers vehicles would slide off somewhere cool - the upright posture of them reminded me a little of ancient-childhood rides on Horizons and I’d love to time travel to that ;)

Tha Realest

I can't say too much more, but I think a good bit of expectation setting is in order. There's about 4x as many things being proposed as will actually come to fruition. IF alternative entrances and in-park hotels are to come to MK - and I have doubts - it will not be a part of this project.

We're looking at a maximum expansion area of 14 acres. It's big, but it's not THAT big.

We'll get a nice, multi-land(ish) expansion, added ride capacity, and enough juice to kickstart marketing. That's it.
I’ll say it’s not necessarily the acreage, but what they do with it. It feels like a lot of SWGE is wasted and underutilized space

doctornick

I get ~20acres of land. for reference Cars land is about 10 acers, and fantasy springs (including the hotel) is ~20 acers. This map assumes they would move some backstage stuff and re-route the railroad somehow... However, they also could shorten ROA, move that back canal, or bridge over the Utilidor entrance to gain a ton more land.

View attachment 782956

Part of the question is what exactly is being considered as the footprint for "beyond Big Thunder Mountain". I personally would agree with what you have outlined here as the most logical space. But some have also discussed that perhaps expanding to the west (to the other side of the current canal connecting RoA with 7SL) is in play. Honestly, that doesn't make as much sense to me (unless it is being used for a hotel or parking/another entrance or something like that) but I feel like it is floating around.

Personally, I think a key thing is developing the northern side of the RoA so that Frontierland and Liberty Sq get connected on that side which will be very helpful for guest movement. I really like how that helps at DL (even if Star Wars is probably not the best choice to have added to that park).

Plus of course you have the Adventureland expansion pad - seemingly being looked at for a Moana ride - which add more potential land for any total expansion calculations.

Purduevian

Part of the question is what exactly is being considered as the footprint for "beyond Big Thunder Mountain". I personally would agree with what you have outlined here as the most logical space. But some have also discussed that perhaps expanding to the west (to the other side of the current canal connecting RoA with 7SL) is in play. Honestly, that doesn't make as much sense to me (unless it is being used for a hotel or parking/another entrance or something like that) but I feel like it is floating around.

Personally, I think a key thing is developing the northern side of the RoA so that Frontierland and Liberty Sq get connected on that side which will be very helpful for guest movement. I really like how that helps at DL (even if Star Wars is probably not the best choice to have added to that park).

Plus of course you have the Adventureland expansion pad - seemingly being looked at for a Moana ride - which add more potential land for any total expansion calculations.
I mean if we really want to go wild with possible expansions...
1714743109638.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’ll say it’s not necessarily the acreage, but what they do with it. It feels like a lot of SWGE is wasted and underutilized space
I'm of the opinion that the space is not wasted precisely because it is "wasted space."

TSL and Rat's alley are super crowded with guests because the attractions bring in thousands of people per hour. Well, where are they all going to go? They swamp all available open space.

But it's not like that with SWGE. The rides bring in over 4,000 guests per hour, but they don't have that over-crowded feel of TSL and Rat's alley.

SWGE is 14 acres [and TSL (including the TSMM buildings) is 11 acres]. If they're planning on two mini-lands (Phase 1 and 2), then it'll probably be overcrowded with 5-6 rides total. Better to stick with 4 or less.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
As long as it's enough for marketing to call it, "the biggest expansion in Magic Kingdom Park history!"

That's marketing for you! Don't want to build it TOO big so that the next time you want to advertise something as the "biggest expansion ever" the scope is out of reach!

Kman

Bay Lake was actually there....now Seven Seas Lagoon is another matter...lol But your point is solid...nowadays they can't move a drainage ditch without a hundred environmental impact studies and a million dollars....
awww...dumb mistake! Correct!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom