News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Potentially the best video game to ride adaptation idea has yet to be touched but I'm so ready for whenever it happens.
portal.gif

Mike S

A long time ago, someone else had already mentioned it, Genshin Impact is perfect. Since I played it for the first time, I thought about how well it would work either as a themed land in the style of Fantasy Springs or even as a park like DisneySea. I'm not sure if it's popular enough, but if done correctly, it could easily become like what happened with Avatar. I believe that despite its gameplay, due to its own inspirations, it has the potential to create good attractions with different approaches and tones.
The type of ride the Genshin Impact fanbase would want wouldn’t be appropriate for a Disney park… :bookworm:

Touchdown

I don’t think Pokemon or Zelda are too difficult to make a themepark land around. For Pokemon the main attraction should be a Pokemon Snap ride, a slow moving dark ride through intricate sets full of animatronic Pokemon armed with a camera. And you get a score based on how good your pictures are (that last part is the only hard part.) Along with the slew of meet and greets, shops, and a Pokemon Cafe, you have a special effects show that is essentially a gym battle where you can watch a Pokemon fight in action.

Zelda will have shops meet and greets and a resturant themed to a town in Hyrule. You could also have secondary attractions like a stunt show featuring a meeting of the three pieces of the triforce (ie centered around a conflict with Gannondorf, Zelda and Link) as well as a walk through interactive dungeon much like the Baby Bowser stuff in Mario Land. The primary ride is supposedly some sort of flying ride, or was at some point. Not sure what they do with it.

999th Happy Haunt

I don’t think Pokemon or Zelda are too difficult to make a themepark land around. For Pokemon the main attraction should be a Pokemon Snap ride, a slow moving dark ride through intricate sets full of animatronic Pokemon armed with a camera. And you get a score based on how good your pictures are (that last part is the only hard part.) Along with the slew of meet and greets, shops, and a Pokemon Cafe, you have a special effects show that is essentially a gym battle where you can watch a Pokemon fight in action.

Zelda will have shops meet and greets and a resturant themed to a town in Hyrule. You could also have secondary attractions like a stunt show featuring a meeting of the three pieces of the triforce (ie centered around a conflict with Gannondorf, Zelda and Link) as well as a walk through interactive dungeon much like the Baby Bowser stuff in Mario Land. The primary ride is supposedly some sort of flying ride, or was at some point. Not sure what they do with it.
You can slap Pokemon on anything and it would be popular, the creature designs alone give it such a wide appeal that people who haven't even played the games will be drawn in.

Zelda is going to be difficult. While it's been rising in popularity it's still never been as mainstream as Mario or Pokemon. The series isn't as friendly to casual gamers and hasn't expanded much to other forms of media which creates a huge barrier to entry for most theme park goers.

Think of it this way, if someone wanted to familiarize themselves with Harry Potter before visiting UOR, they'd have to passively watch 7 movies, or at least just the first couple. Time consuming but easy enough. If someone wanted to familiarize themselves with the Zelda, they'd have to buy at least one $60+ game and maybe a $300 console if they don't have one already, and then learn to play and eventually beat a 50 hour game to get the whole story, probably failing and repeating levels a few times along the way. I'd consider myself a pretty avid gamer and I couldn't get through Breath of the Wild.

James Alucobond

Zelda is going to be difficult. While it's been rising in popularity it's still never been as mainstream as Mario or Pokemon. The series isn't as friendly to casual gamers and hasn't expanded much to other forms of media which creates a huge barrier to entry for most theme park goers.

Think of it this way, if someone wanted to familiarize themselves with Harry Potter before visiting UOR, they'd have to passively watch 7 movies, or at least just the first couple. Time consuming but easy enough. If someone wanted to familiarize themselves with the Zelda, they'd have to buy at least one $60+ game and maybe a $300 console if they don't have one already, and then learn to play and eventually beat a 50 hour game to get the whole story, probably failing and repeating levels a few times along the way. I'd consider myself a pretty avid gamer and I couldn't get through Breath of the Wild.
They’re supposedly developing a film, so the goal is probably to tie it into that. Also, at a high level, it’s pretty easy to envision something successful with Hyrule Castle, Castle Town, and the Temple of Time at the center with a water ride through Zora’s domain and a coaster around Death Mountain. If there’s space left over, Kokiri Forest playground or spinner.

999th Happy Haunt

They’re supposedly developing a film, so the goal is probably to tie it into that. Also, at a high level, it’s pretty easy to envision something successful with Hyrule Castle, Castle Town, and the Temple of Time at the center with a water ride through Zora’s domain and a coaster around Death Mountain. If there’s space left over, Kokiri Forest playground or spinner.
The movie might help, but I dare you to ask a sample of random tourists if they are familiar with any of those locations or know what they're from.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
...what are those? I'm being dead serious I've never heard of any of those before in my life.

Touchdown

You can slap Pokemon on anything and it would be popular, the creature designs alone give it such a wide appeal that people who haven't even played the games will be drawn in.

Nothing a good preshow can’t fix. Long ago when this land was created by the 3 goddesses as a parting gift they distilled their powers of Wisdom, Courage and Power into the Triforce, whomever holds the Triforce will get any wish they want granted. However, all was not well in the world and soon the Kingdom of Hyrule and war soon broke out during which the Triforce shattered and disappeared. A uneasy peace settled on the land of Hyrule but whispers soon started that parts of the Triforce reside in people who most embody the three Godesses virtue, Wisdom, Courage and Power.

Lord Gannondorf, power hungry ruler of the Geurudo desert tribe is convinced he has found the triforce and now invading the peaceful Hyrule to achieve his goals. Princess Zelda and her sworn knight Link are all that stand in the way of Gannondorfs brutal conquest. They have asked you…

The story isn’t exactly groundbreaking, evil maniacal dictator, virtuous Princess, brave Knight and magical MacGuffin. The games are based on European Fairytales, something well known to American audiences.

ToTBellHop

In the same way that HtTYD is really a Viking land, Zelda would basically be a medieval land with mythical beasts (and steampunk elements). You don’t necessarily need to know who the characters are. The hero has the sword. Also, while the games have iconic settings, they change their appearance and location in each game (other than last year’s direct sequel) which provides considerable creative latitude vs. a movie land.

UNCgolf

I just think Mario Kart was just a bad attraction, not because it was a video game.

There are epic fights/battles in all of the games I listed. Imagine a real life experience of an epic fight that you have fond memories of in one of those games? I think that's more compelling than anything else.

I just listed several IPs that have made billions of dollars through their IP over the last 20 years if not longer.

I completely agree on Mario Kart -- Universal just made poor design decisions there. Mario Kart is one of the games that should be relatively easy to translate into a theme park attraction.

How do you translate an epic fight into a ride, though? To me, at least, it seems like it would generally end up a lesser experience than what you get when you're actually playing the game (and in control of what's happening). I have a hard time imagining how you could design an attraction around The Witcher 3, e.g., that didn't pale in comparison to the game itself.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I play a lot of video games and there are very few games I've played that I think would both translate well to a theme park attraction and that I'd actually want to experience as a theme park attraction as opposed to just playing the game.

999th Happy Haunt

In the same way that HtTYD is really a Viking land, Zelda would basically be a medieval land with mythical beasts (and steampunk elements). You don’t necessarily need to know who the characters are. The hero has the sword. Also, while the games have iconic settings, they change their appearance and location in each game (other than last year’s direct sequel) which provides considerable creative latitude vs. a movie land.
At that point isn't Potter right next door a superior and more recognizable magic/mythical beasts land? There's a region the Merlinwood part of LC made sense to become Potter, aside from the expansion spaces they were too similar to coexist.

UNCgolf

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. Which is becoming a Pokémon ride.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I only meant translating it from a video game to a ride that didn't end up feeling like a lesser version of what you experienced in the video game, because you're actually in control of what happens in the game, as opposed to just in general.

James Alucobond

...what are those? I'm being dead serious I've never heard of any of those before in my life.
They have been in almost every game in the modern series, particularly from the N64 forward. If you don’t know them, then you haven’t played anything in the series in over two decades. They’re not going to be able to build a Zelda land without pulling areas from the game, and the most iconic skyline for the series is definitely Hyrule Castle and town with Death Mountain in the distance. The game flow is also traditionally comprised of various temples, with the core three of the Fire, Water, and Forest Temples often being located in Death Mountain, Zora’s Domain, and Kokiri Forest, respectively (or equivalent regions).

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
They have been in almost every game in the modern series, particularly from the N64 forward. If you don’t know them, then you haven’t played anything in the series in over two decades. They’re not going to be able to build a Zelda land without pulling areas from the game, and the most iconic skyline for the series is definitely Hyrule Castle and town with Death Mountain in the distance. The game flow is also traditionally comprised of various temples, with the core three of the Fire, Water, and Forest Temples often being located in Death Mountain, Zora’s Domain, and Kokiri Forest, respectively (or equivalent regions).
As a 14-, 15 in a week, year-old, who really only plays minecraft but has friends who play a majority of games, most of my friends in high school don't know some of these locations mentioned. So it'd be popular with maybe people over 20 but pretty much no one under that. I think it'd be a mistake, and, either way, NOT fit for Magic Kingdom. If anything DHS

James Alucobond

As a 14-, 15 in a week, year-old, who really only plays minecraft but has friends who play a majority of games, most of my friends in high school don't know some of these locations mentioned. So it'd be popular with maybe people over 20 but pretty much no one under that. I think it'd be a mistake, and, either way, NOT fit for Magic Kingdom. If anything DHS
I mean, it’s not going there. It’s allegedly going in at Universal where Lost Continent was, I believe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom