News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

BrianLo

Yeah, the problem with Poppins is that fans and imagineers have been discussing a Poppins dark ride for decades, so announcing a flat fell flat.

Bringing this back to BBTM, the Phase 1 Coco expansion needs some capacity eaters, perhaps a flat and a small show venue (actually, Coco would be ideal for a major show that integrates live actors, screens, and AAs, a sort of souped up version of the Genie show in Tokyo. But we're not getting that, so...)

Yes, I'm interested in what Coco morphs into actually. We're left picturing the D23 vague concept with Encanto cut away, but if it's meant to stand semi on its own as the first phase, I'd sort of expect a little more to it. Unless BBTM is still structured Coco, Phase 2, Villains. But I'm not clear on that with what everyone is saying. At the very least some of the street entertainment. The DCA Three Kings thing is very nice.

The secret to the theatre attractions is they need to crack the code on having the ride infrastructure fully pull out of the space and another one insert itself, so that the theatres are being more frequently cycled and don't sit unused for an entire unload/load cycle.

I mean... Walt did crack that in a different non-ride format with Carousel of Progress. Millennium Falcon does in a very personal sense, but for the IMAX type rides.

Advisable Joseph

My only guess on why TRON is so short is that the ride system would get uncomfortable if it were much longer. I’d say, in response, “pick a more comfortable ride vehicle” but it really needed to be a true bike coaster unlike Hagrid’s.
Since people aren't that upset on Yelp and so on, I think they take the lightcycle concept into account. Anyway, if it was a real problem, Shanghai Disney would have already seen it.

The length seems to be more of an online shibboleth.

DisneyDodo

So if Coco attractions come to MK and DAK, that means Mexico will be represented in 3 of the 4 parks. I guess that means Gran Fiesta is safe for the foreseeable future
If you had told me 2 years ago that Coco would be coming to 2 parks, neither of which is Epcot, I would have been quite shocked.

(For the record, I’m skeptical that Coco will ultimately come to MK and DAK. If they move forward with the flying theater ride at MK, it makes sense to include the carousel and village there as well. Otherwise, they can keep those for TA and use a different IP for BBTM.)

mattpeto

If you had told me 2 years ago that Coco would be coming to 2 parks, neither of which is Epcot, I would have been quite shocked.

(For the record, I’m skeptical that Coco will ultimately come to MK and DAK. If they move forward with the flying theater ride at MK, it makes sense to include the carousel and village there as well. Otherwise, they can keep those for TA and use a different IP for BBTM.)

Skeptical here as well. Maybe the carousel just gets Tropical America generic themed.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

MK doesn't do IP lands. And shouldn't.

fgmnt

Tron suffers from being the most recent roller coaster (major attraction?) to open between the two chains after Guardians, VC, and Hagrids. I don’t expect Disney to ever build a ride like Hagrids, much less VC, but it still bites.

I also think it would be a huge strategic error to not have a rollercoaster that tops Guardians as a capstone (not cornerstone) to this expansion.

MaximumEd

Tron suffers from being the most recent roller coaster (major attraction?) to open between the two chains after Guardians, VC, and Hagrids. I don’t expect Disney to ever build a ride like Hagrids, much less VC, but it still bites.

I also think it would be a huge strategic error to not have a rollercoaster that tops Guardians as a capstone (not cornerstone) to this expansion.
I would think Disney should and would build to the level of Hagrid’s and beyond when they do a coaster. Strange that they don’t, but they seem to put most of their coasters in a box and call it good. I’m assuming to avoid downtime due to weather, but I’m just guessing.

donaldtoo

I don't think Disney needs any more coasters.

E1D0E045-3A96-4EC7-99B3-280A1F736E07.jpeg

Andrew25

I would think Disney should and would build to the level of Hagrid’s and beyond when they do a coaster. Strange that they don’t, but they seem to put most of their coasters in a box and call it good. I’m assuming to avoid downtime due to weather, but I’m just guessing.
Cheap theming lol

Easier to not theme and just make things pitch black than building an entire false mountain/facade.

While I'd love more dark rides as well, WDW only has 9 coasters spread across 4 parks. All major coasters at each park are highly popular, so I'd argue they need more coasters. Not extreme coasters, but family-friendly additions similar to Slinky Dog & Seven Dwarfs would benefit capacity woes at the parks.

Not saying WDW should go on a coaster building spree, but they certainly are lacking in that department.

JD80

While I'd love more dark rides as well, WDW only has 9 coasters spread across 4 parks. All major coasters at each park are highly popular, so I'd argue they need more coasters. Not extreme coasters, but family-friendly additions similar to Slinky Dog & Seven Dwarfs would benefit capacity woes at the parks.

Not saying WDW should go on a coaster building spree, but they certainly are lacking in that department.

I wouldn't say lacking.

WDW needs more rides period. I don't think expansion budgets should be focused on adding more coasters, they should be rides we similar to what we see for the AK expansion. Dark Rides and Flat Rides.

I mean if the budget was doubled add more coasters! But I want to see more variety of rides types.

doctornick

Agreed. A relatively high number of newer rides have been coasters (Tron, Cosmic Rewind, Slinky, and then 7DMT if you stretch it out). I think it is good to have some presence there for each park but Disney parks will never and should never be put too much emphasis on thrill rides - their bread and butter is "rides the whole family can enjoy" and they should be doing more family friendly dark rides.

At most, I could see an argument that DAK or Epcot could use another coaster but I don't think that would or should be a priority for either park. Though I wouldn't mind a Matterhorn-esque Mt Fuji coaster in Japan someday in Epcot.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No

There's talk that the new Space Mountain in Tokyo will be Velocicoaster-esque...same type of track was seen onsite.

DisneyDodo

MK doesn't do IP lands. And shouldn't.
I agree that they shouldn’t. Which is why Coco made sense as part of a greater Latin America land with Encanto.

With Encanto clearly out, I could kind of see Santa Cecilia as an extension to Frontierland (even though the U.S. obviously never expended into present-day Mexico), in which case the E-ticket could be lumped in as part of that area. They haven’t built single-IP lands in MK (though I wouldn’t put it past them), but they have done single-IP neighborhoods within lands (such as BatB in NFL, almost Tron in TL).

However, a ride where you fly over the Land of the Dead on the back of an alebrije as a standalone addition to Frontierland doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. You could make the outside work aesthetically, but what connection does the concept have to the land? At that point, why not put Aladdin in Frontierland since it wouldn’t look out of place from the outside?

I’m not the biggest theme stickler and I’m a huge Coco fan, so I certainly wouldn’t complain if they went this route. But I just have trouble accepting that they would decide to move the realistic half of the Coco plans out of Frontierland only to keep the fantasy half in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom