News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Rosso11

Hmmm...just occurred to me, what about Wakanda? I don't want it there, but it certainly fits the bill of not fitting MK at all.
I think this is the most likely IP if this all turns out to be true. I wouldn’t like it but I can absolutely see Iger pushing for it.

Edit: Ah that’s right Black Panther himself can’t be used since he is represented at Universal. Wakanda without Black Panther would be pretty dumb. So dumb Iger would probably do it.

Last edited:

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Bear with me because this is quite left field speculation.

If we think of the point of view of a Disney exec they want to maximize guest spending at the most popular park on the planet. So they likely want to go big with this expansion. The new expansion would have multiple paid lightning lane attractions, shops, food locations, meet and greets etc.

If it’s a mystery IP that doesn’t fit well in Magic Kingdom, but could potentially be quite the draw and check boxes for a massive land then it’s probably not the traditional Disney or Pixar animation franchises. Which would make me think Lucasfilm or Marvel or even Fox owned franchises would be there.

Except that Star Wars and Marvel have had quite a few studios misses recently and already have their own dedicated areas. So what property could fit? Lord of the Rings.

But Disney doesn’t own Lord of the Rings! Ah yes my dear reader they do not. But Warner Bros is desperate for cash and has not been doing well. Disney also announced a partnership with Warner Bros with respect to streaming rights this week. With the new lord of the rings movies down the pipeline and past Disney efforts to acquire the property, this could make sense. The possibilities of a lord of the rings land would be endless and could possibly give Universal quite the run for its money.

I know wild speculation but maybe it’s a bold move to reinvigorate the Walt Disney company with yet another merger or at least partnership and this is one of the pieces of the puzzle. I would still reserve this for a dark horse speculation however.
I mean this is extraordinary unlikely but never say never I guess? Although this would incredible and I'd be 100% down for it but yeah, that's never gonna happen lol.

Bocabear

Disney owns TONS of IP....all Disney created... I don't understand why they would even consider adding completely non-Disney created IP to the theme parks...Simpsons, Lord Of The Rings, etc... There is enough true Disney content for hundreds of new attractions that are being ignored for thing that don't seem to fit....

Rosso11

Disney owns TONS of IP....all Disney created... I don't understand why they would even consider adding completely non-Disney created IP to the theme parks...Simpsons, Lord Of The Rings, etc... There is enough true Disney content for hundreds of new attractions that are being ignored for thing that don't seem to fit....
I agree with you but they could look at it as a defensive move. Especially with the very few big IPs that are left such as Lord of the Rings. They would rather get it than make the same mistake they did with Harry Potter and let it go to Universal. Imagine universal does get the rights and they open their new park in England with full fledged Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings lands. I would be very nervous for Disneyland Paris.

whiterhino42

I am genuinely shocked that Little Mermaid was initially conceived to be an E-ticket. To me, it's a C ticket that's less exciting that Peter Pan, Winnie, etc.

They must have known early on what they were building right? I hadn't been to Disney yet when this was announced/being built. Was the marketing/hype really overblown?
I love Winnie. I like Peter Pan. Mermaid is a snooze fest.

whiterhino42

Would also be kinda weird to have two water rides next to each other on the same side of the park.

Though in theory I’d love something like GRR at WDW somewhere. Kali is so short and pales on comparison to GRR and Popeyes at universal
Rapid rides are ny favorite and Kali is terrible. It's so quick...it's like get on get soaked get off.

whiterhino42

Bear with me because this is quite left field speculation.

If we think of the point of view of a Disney exec they want to maximize guest spending at the most popular park on the planet. So they likely want to go big with this expansion. The new expansion would have multiple paid lightning lane attractions, shops, food locations, meet and greets etc.

If it’s a mystery IP that doesn’t fit well in Magic Kingdom, but could potentially be quite the draw and check boxes for a massive land then it’s probably not the traditional Disney or Pixar animation franchises. Which would make me think Lucasfilm or Marvel or even Fox owned franchises would be there.

Except that Star Wars and Marvel have had quite a few studios misses recently and already have their own dedicated areas. So what property could fit? Lord of the Rings.

But Disney doesn’t own Lord of the Rings! Ah yes my dear reader they do not. But Warner Bros is desperate for cash and has not been doing well. Disney also announced a partnership with Warner Bros with respect to streaming rights this week. With the new lord of the rings movies down the pipeline and past Disney efforts to acquire the property, this could make sense. The possibilities of a lord of the rings land would be endless and could possibly give Universal quite the run for its money.

I know wild speculation but maybe it’s a bold move to reinvigorate the Walt Disney company with yet another merger or at least partnership and this is one of the pieces of the puzzle. I would still reserve this for a dark horse speculation however.
Just no to Lord of the Rings

Bocabear

I agree with you but they could look at it as a defensive move. Especially with the very few big IPs that are left such as Lord of the Rings. They would rather get it than make the same mistake they did with Harry Potter and let it go to Universal. Imagine universal does get the rights and they open their new park in England with full fledged Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings lands. I would be very nervous for Disneyland Paris.
While all this IP grab is going on, the most exciting thing Universal is doing with Epic Universe is going back to their old IP and doing a Classic Universal Monsters land...All nostalgia...The only way they are going to counter that (if they care to) is for Disney to create a true Disney Villains land...If done well, It would probably be the most popular of the new additions to the parks they have ever done...But they would have to really do it the right way with multiple attractions, Spectacular settings, added dining and retail...It could be amazing and all Disney created content...Villains are in every Disney movie ever made, so you would have fans of the old and more recent villains... A whole Dark Kingdom...

WDWFREAK53

I think this is the most likely IP if this all turns out to be true. I wouldn’t like it but I can absolutely see Iger pushing for it.

Edit: Ah that’s right Black Panther himself can’t be used since he is represented at Universal. Wakanda without Black Panther would be pretty dumb. So dumb Iger would probably do it.

Yeah...that would be like building a Star Wars Land and making it so you can't have Darth Vader in it.

aladdin2007

agree but why was d'amaro mentioning it so much then awhile back....one cant help but wonder. If anything was ill fitting for MK it would certainly be that. And they seem to be doing everything the opposite of what they should be doing so I wouldn't put it past them in some form.

rd805

agree but why was d'amaro mentioning it so much then awhile back....one cant help but wonder. If anything was ill fitting for MK it would certainly be that. And they seem to be doing everything the opposite of what they should be doing so I wouldn't put it past them in some form.
Those early rumors were more Epcot based if i remember correctly. Wakanda = Tech, maybe a bridge to the former Futureworld. Also the WoL Pavilion has a weird semi-resemblance to Wakanda architecture. It was one of the older rumors I was almost able to wrap my head around lol.

wdwfan4ver

The mystery IP that won't fit in at MK is....

SPRINGFIELD.

They will just use cranes to get all of The Simpsons stuff from Universal over to beyond Big Thunder when that contract is up.

The new weenie for this area will be giant nuclear plant smokestacks and a massive Lard Lad on top of a donut shop.
Disney may not have to wait till the end of the contract. Theme park stop mentioned rumors that Universal closing down Springfield before the end of contract with the closing being as early as later this year or next year. The problem is a time frame hasn't been set.

The rumor for USF is Springfield getting replaced by Pokemon. The only catch with the early closing Simpsons permanently is Lost content has no attraction at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom