News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

DCLcruiser

Nahhh…

WDI believes everything they do is “legit”…but there is little management inkling to spend on many things they produce.

It’s really an in house R&D lab…idle minds are to be avoided so you throw them bones. They’re gonna severely downsize it in the coming years too…just a hunch
All I know, is I hope there is an expansion and that it is done well. I don't mind IP, and I don't mind original rides. Just give us great, immersive rides, in these new areas.

SteamboatJoe

No. Pretending Mexican and Colombian lives are so closely related that this is possible is honestly offensive. And no, Mexico is entirely different than the SW of the United States.
Obviously but tell that to Disney, the same company that has misappropriated a fictional kingdom inspired by a Danish novel into Norway and who also has misappropriated a series of stories that are probably set in China twice (the Middle East and then Morocco). Culture aside, independent lands for those IPs do not make sense to me. Attractions and/or nooks, yes, but not lands.

Mexico and the SW U.S. were one and the same at one point so there most definitely is a legit connection there.

Last edited:

eddie104

All I know, is I hope there is an expansion and that it is done well. I don't mind IP, and I don't mind original rides. Just give us great, immersive rides, in these new areas.
Exactly how I feel. We know how Disney operates but these concepts definitely show they might be willing to potentially invest some much needed Capex into the parks.

The DAK project being close to green lit makes sense considering the Zootopia rumors have been going on for years. Also a 2025 opening date would have them directing competing with Universal’s Epic Universe.

Ghost93

I think Moana is more of a sure bet than Zootopia simply due to the fact that Moana has proven to stand the test of time better. Although Zootopia made more money in its initial theatrical release, it is Moana that has remained a consistent chart-topper on the Disney+ Nielsen ratings. Zootopia's handling of race relations and police is also somewhat controversial on both sides of the political spectrum (for different reasons), so it may be a IP that ages poorly.

As far as the Beyond Big Thunder Mountain, I think that while Encanto, Coco and Disney Villains would all make for great attractions, the villains concept is also the most sure bet for standing the test of time as Disney villains have proven to be popular for decades. I think Coco and Encanto will still be appreciated in the decades to come, but only time will tell.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
100% agree. I'd bet Beyond BTMRR and Dinoland replacement are approved projects. They shut down PW for a reason. WDI does not just make concept art for fun. They are paid for projects. This was not some Imagineer's weekend artwork.
Stitch has been closed down for how long now? What was that reason?

FigmentFan82

I think the two things they hinted are the least likely to come to fruition out of concept ideas in decades
Well all mentioned could very well all be clones/reskins. This also seems to be the new model for US parks expansion. Would put that as a teeny tiny feather in the cap of "this could potentially happen"

Ghost93

It's just a question of how important the river and Tom Sawyer's Island is or isn't to them.
I don't think either the river or Tom Sawyer's Island is that important to current Disney executives. While both attractions are pleasant, they don't drive most people to the parks. TSI in particular, appeals more to older Disney fans who are nostalgic about the days in which kids "used their imagination." Encanto or Coco replacing Tom Sawyer would be a no-brainer if the goal was simply to lure more people to that island.

DisneyNeighbor

I've seen several people toss up maps suggesting where the new lands could go! Why would Florida Way or the canals be an obstacle? What would stop Disney from adding a huge area to expand into? They could push all the way to Floridian PL. This area is around the same size as the Magic Kingdom. They could add another stop on the Rivers of America and a train station. They could add an entrance behind big thunder and on either side of the haunted mansion. Can any of our experts on here give odds on this idea?

mk.jpg

MrPromey

I don't think either the river or Tom Sawyer's Island is that important to current Disney executives. While both attractions are pleasant, they don't drive most people to the parks. TSI in particular, appeals more to older Disney fans who are nostalgic about the days in which kids "used their imagination." Encanto or Coco replacing Tom Sawyer would be a no-brainer if the goal was simply to lure more people to that island.

According to Disney, they don't have any problem driving people to the parks, particularly MK so either they're completely full of crap and believe that the moment they turn off the marketing machine, they'll have more empty rooms than they know what to do with or... they want to make that choke point in Adventurland and fireworks viewing designed to only be watched in front of the castle even more of a problem?

MrPromey

They are extremely popular, especially at WDW. DE and Harm have been a huge problem.
But to his point, they don't do anything to help with capacity... although they at least, probably don't make it worse.

That said, in both instances, they're esentially fixing something they screwed up a year ago. I guess that counts as an improvement/upgrade but it's kind of hard to see it that way.

MrPromey

that would put a Coco attraction space roughly the size of Haunted Mansion and Small World combined and would make Encanto almost the size of NFL.

That seems a bit excessive for single IPs, doesn't it?

I mean, especially in the MK where it would be Tomorrow Land, Fantasy Land, Encanto Land, Coco Land, Vilians Land, Frontier Land and Adventure Land.*

Wouldn't that seem a little weird - even just looking at the map?

*and of course, Main Street USA but nobody really seems to think of that as a land anymore - especially since the attraction stuff has been pushed out for bland world of disney retail.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

But to his point, they don't do anything to help with capacity... although they at least, probably don't make it worse.

That said, in both instances, they're esentially fixing something they screwed up a year ago. I guess that counts as an improvement but it's kind of hard to see it that way.
That's how I look at it. A lot of that has to do with night time shows do nothing for my family. I will add new night time shows are on the bottom of the list of things that WDW needs. Adding more capacity then just 2 rides at MK is much higher on the list.

What gets me is how just everyone says WDW needs more capacity but seem satisfied that HEA is returning

erasure fan1

100% agree. I'd bet Beyond BTMRR and Dinoland replacement are approved projects. They shut down PW for a reason. WDI does not just make concept art for fun. They are paid for projects. This was not some Imagineer's weekend artwork.
I'm sure they are looking at those areas. But in no way are the things they talked about approved projects. A good artist can create that stuff in a very short time. Obviously Disney is looking to shove IPs wherever they can. Even if it makes little to no sense. But these blue sky projects had, "quick, we need some vague concepts for D23 since we really don't have anything!" Written all over it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom