News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

SirLink

They've announced $5B in capex. They are clearly open to an expansion beyond BTMRR. They have discussed two very popular IP which connect directly to Hispanic-Americans, who make up a large % of the population. I can't see how this isn't realistic.

Then add Villains which sell a lot of merch, and already have new movies.

But to use the land back there will cost a lot as well how about actual investment in new rides for DAK/DHS and fix the mess that is TL.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
They've announced $5B in capex. They are clearly open to an expansion beyond BTMRR. They have discussed two very popular IP which connect directly to Hispanic-Americans, who make up a large % of the population. I can't see how this isn't realistic.

Then add Villains which sell a lot of merch, and already have new movies.
They spent $4 billion in capex in FY20 and $4 billion in FY21 in the middle of the pandemic. $5 billion isn't expansion money, it's status quo money, particularly when there's a new cruise ship in there.

UNCgolf

Yeah but everyone bitched and moaned about the spaceship refurb so that being cancelled should be seen as a positive, right?

It definitely could be, depending on what exactly they were planning -- we never really had enough details to know.

With that said, I think they're going to have to do a refurb at some point in the next few years anyways. I guess it just depends on if it'll be a ride system refurb with few other changes or if they reallocate money to do more.

EPCOT-O.G.

They spent $4 billion in capex in FY20 and $4 billion in FY21 in the middle of the pandemic. $5 billion isn't expansion money, it's status quo money, particularly when there's a new cruise ship in there.
Yep. The boat’s a billion and a lot of that is eaten up by already underway projects overseas. May also include DVC tower? Not a lot left after those commitments.

Skywise

This is just so shortsighted though. Walt launched attractions to coincide with current releases (Swiss Family Robinson, 20,000 Leagues) as part of synergistic promotions. It doesn't make sense to make an entire LAND around one movie, either (Avatar/Star Wars being multiple movies). If anything they should be developing a new land for their new projects and releases for the next 5 years. Like "explorers land" or something that's a base of operations for films that aren't fantasy, futuristic, western, Americana or adventure, movies that Disney seems to be moving away from. Like Encanto, Coco, Inside/Out and Soul which are more internal/personal explorations.

Look FORWARD.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Yep. The boat’s a billion and a lot of that is eaten up by already underway projects overseas. May also include DVC tower? Not a lot left after those commitments.
We should be fair. The number I think they announced was $6 billion per year for the foreseeable future, which legitimately is quite a bit above baseline trend, even pre-covid.

So it's absolutely more investment than normal, but it's not $5 billion in expansion-type projects out of nowhere.

JusticeDisney

We should be fair. The number I think they announced was $6 billion per year for the foreseeable future, which legitimately is quite a bit above baseline trend, even pre-covid.

So it's absolutely more investment than normal, but it's not $5 billion in expansion-type projects out of nowhere.
How in the world do you know so much about this stuff? It’s actually quite impressive, I must admit. I wish I had the same knowledge as you on these topics. 👍🏻

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
How in the world do you know so much about this stuff? It’s actually quite impressive, I must admit. I wish I had the same knowledge as you on these topics. 👍🏻
It's public information and I work in corporate Finance, so it's my profession in addition to being a hobby.

Screenshot_20220911-180732.png

hopemax

My expectation with this bit is that there is commitment to the "connector." Eventually. It will kill Rivers of America in the process. If we're lucky, they cut the island in half and the Riverboat stays. However, I feel like that was a "it's Disneyland, they'll riot" solution and WDW doesn't have that much respect, nor as much water traffic. Permanently dock the Liberty Belle and turn it into a bar, M&G area, bridge to TSI, and the new stuff goes where the north island and water way are. There is room back there, but the Utilidors entrance can't move, and those HM and IASW buildings are huge.

However, I think the Coco, Encanto, Villains areas are just placeholders. "Something" will be back there, but by the time it's built there might be something from Disney+ that is more popular. I actually would prefer Encanto in AK over Zootopia. Mirabel's family could teach us all about the animals of South America. Be ambassadors, not retell their story. With real animals. But I think we all know how Disney feels about that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom