News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

JMcMahonEsq

The idea of creating lands in Magic Kingdom based on these two films is terrible and cringe inducing.
There isn't a land based on any other IP in the park - yet these two films warrant a land a piece?
It's ridiculous.
We don't even get a ride a piece based on movies that have shown much more lasting appeal, but these two films might get lands?
It doesn't fit Magic Kingdom, at all.

We don't get rides based on established movies at MK? I could be wrong but the last time we were there this summer, I certainly thought we rode rides based on Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Winnie the Pooh, Toy Story, Song of the South, to name a few.

ppete1975

What kind of rides would a hypothetical "villains' land" built by Chapek's Disney even have?

I imagine there'd only be one or two rides... maybe one big thrilling ride (a Bald Mountain coaster?) and a smaller flat ride? A trackless dark ride?

Would they be concerned about redundancy with attractions featuring/based on villains already featured in attractions at the Magic Kingdom (such as Captain Hook)? I doubt it...
I assume the bald mountain coaster if they listened to fans and include all the villains or at least the major ones (you can leave out black cauldron, hercules, tarzan, hunchback style movies) and you need at least one spinner. There you go a full land :)

Bocabear

A major attraction, A spinner Evil anti-carousel and a walk through Ursula: Journey Of Evil water play area...lol
Actually an Ursula Spinner would be pretty cool too...

FigmentFan82

Seems like there isn't a clear vision as to what the lands would potentially be referred to, only that they are anchored by an attraction directly tied to the movie source. Coco could be linked to BTM by a Mesa Verde type land name and within is where you encounter Coco themes and the attraction. Just spitballin

Incomudro

We don't get rides based on established movies at MK? I could be wrong but the last time we were there this summer, I certainly thought we rode rides based on Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Winnie the Pooh, Toy Story, Song of the South, to name a few.
I said we don't get lands.
Rides, yes we do get - but not for every film.
There's no Lion King ride, or Pocahantas ride...
But sure, perhaps a ride for Encanto and or Coco.
But an entire land?
Truth of the matter though - I have severe doubts this stuff is going to happen.

doctornick

The idea of creating lands in Magic Kingdom based on these two films is terrible and cringe inducing.
There isn't a land based on any other IP in the park - yet these two films warrant a land a piece?
It's ridiculous.
We don't even get a ride a piece based on movies that have shown much more lasting appeal, but these two films might get lands?
It doesn't fit Magic Kingdom, at all.

I would agree that they don’t IMHO warrant their own land - and I’d hope that (were this to come about) Coco and Encanto would be in the same land (with other stuff) with a theme that makes sense and is harmonious with the rest of MK. I’m not sure how it would work - the best I can think of is somehow invoking Saludos Amigos but I just can’t wrap my head as to a good “theme”. Hopefully WDI could come with something good. The Villains land can obviously be it’s own thing and there’s plenty of material there to fill up an entire land - maybe call it “Shadow Land” or “Villains Lair” or something.

That said, regarding your other point, I definitely feel like both Coco and Encanto are properties of appropriate quality and cultural cache/popularity to warrant inclusion in WDW. in fact it’s hard for me to come with other Disney or Pixar IPs that don’t have a presence at WDW that are more “deserving” - maybe Tangled (sorry a bathroom doesn’t count) or Incredibles? I think these are excellent choices for the basis of WDW attractions and both having both strong cultural yet fantasy vibes actually feel pretty appropriate for MK to me, if they are given the proper setting.

doctornick

I said we don't get lands.
Rides, yes we do get - but not for every film.
There's no Lion King ride, or Pocahantas ride...
But sure, perhaps a ride for Encanto and or Coco.
But an entire land?
Truth of the matter though - I have severe doubts this stuff is going to happen.
I actually think at least the Coco/Encanto stuff will happen (less convinced about the Villains) simply because it’s the type of “inclusive” attractions that Disney is zeroing in on these days. It’s pretty fair to point out that Disney has not had much Latino representation (I mean the Mexico ride focuses on cartoon ducks) and it’s a reasonable portion of the fan base/guests. And Coco and Encanto are both very popular and well regarded films that adding them to the parks is quite sensible.

Also from what some insiders have written, I have a guess that Disney wants to develop the northern side of RoA for guest flow reasons if nothing else. They might be very happy with how that has played out at DL.

doctornick

I assume the bald mountain coaster if they listened to fans and include all the villains or at least the major ones (you can leave out black cauldron, hercules, tarzan, hunchback style movies) and you need at least one spinner. There you go a full land :)

I think you’d only get two rides since that’s what modern Disney does with new lands. 🙄

But given the huge amount of options, you could easily have a fully fleshed out land with multiple attractions for this theme. Honestly I’d rather they put it at DHS which could use multiple new attractions but that’s a separate issue. Should be one major ride like the Bald Mountain concept, at least one smaller ride (like a FL style dark ride) then at least a flat ride or AA show or walk through (or all of the above). Plus definitely would need a M&G venue which could rotate people over time given the options.

ToTBellHop

“New Orleans.” “On the other side.”
I see what you did there.
1664207096891.gif

ppete1975

I think you’d only get two rides since that’s what modern Disney does with new lands. 🙄

But given the huge amount of options, you could easily have a fully fleshed out land with multiple attractions for this theme. Honestly I’d rather they put it at DHS which could use multiple new attractions but that’s a separate issue. Should be one major ride like the Bald Mountain concept, at least one smaller ride (like a FL style dark ride) then at least a flat ride or AA show or walk through (or all of the above). Plus definitely would need a M&G venue which could rotate people over time given the options.
every land needs a spinner, so you have the mountain and another huge ride (the spinner).. 2 rides = a land. Done!

I consider meet and greets a given, but something that can be moved around and changed so frequently that they arent an attraction per se.

UNCgolf

in fact it’s hard for me to come with other Disney or Pixar IPs that don’t have a presence at WDW that are more “deserving” - maybe Tangled (sorry a bathroom doesn’t count) or Incredibles?

I'd argue Lion King, because I don't think Festival of the Lion King has any real connection to the IP beyond using songs from the movie, but I seem to be in a minority there.

Touchdown

I'd argue Lion King, because I don't think Festival of the Lion King has any real connection to the IP beyond using songs from the movie, but I seem to be in a minority there.
That’s also in Philharmagic and Harmonious and Fantasmic and HEA. I’d say it’s there.

doctornick

That’s also in Philharmagic and Harmonious and Fantasmic and HEA. I’d say it’s there.
I wouldn’t really count segments in shows as much representation especially with how that changes periodically. Like I’d say that Philharmagic is a Mickey/Donald IP as the main framing element but not really significant representation of the other IPs used (YMMV).

That said, I think it’s clear that FOTLK is a significant representation of the film. It has characters and songs from the films. As many of us complain about how we get boring “book report” attractions, it genuinely feels like an adaptation of the material that feels fresh and new while still being recognizable to people who’ve seen the film.

UNCgolf

I wouldn’t really count segments in shows as much representation especially with how that changes periodically. Like I’d say that Philharmagic is a Mickey/Donald IP as the main framing element but not really significant representation of the other IPs used (YMMV).

That said, I think it’s clear that FOTLK is a significant representation of the film. It has characters and songs from the films. As many of us complain about how we get boring “book report” attractions, it genuinely feels like an adaptation of the material that feels fresh and new while still being recognizable to people who’ve seen the film.

I strongly disagree that it's a significant representation of the film. It has songs, and that's about it. The character representation is superficial.

The show doesn't need the Lion King songs or characters; they could be replaced with generic characters and other songs and it would have very little effect on the show. Which is probably a good thing from a show design standpoint, but a bad thing for representing the IP in any meaningful way.

Admittedly, I don't think Festival of the Lion King is entertaining or interesting (I saw it once and have no desire to see it again), so I'm sure that's part of my issue, but the Lion King is one of my favorite Disney films. I'd like to see it represented in a way that actually showcases the characters instead of being almost entirely about the soundtrack.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom