Between the Unloading, and Loading Stations

kingslyZISSOU

Original Poster
There are a rides that have a section of track between the unload, and load stations (Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Maelstrom, and so on). Since I was a little kid, I've always wanted to stay in the vehicle, and see what's between the stations.

Has anyone ever gotten to do this? I would think space mountain, and pirates would be the best; both having backstage lift hills.

Am I the only dreamer, who thought intensely on this as a young whipper snapper?:shrug:

Testtrack321

There are a rides that have a section of track between the unload, and load stations (Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Maelstrom, and so on). Since I was a little kid, I've always wanted to stay in the vehicle, and see what's between the stations.

Has anyone ever gotten to do this? I would think space mountain, and pirates would be the best; both having backstage lift hills.

Am I the only dreamer, who thought intensely on this as a young whipper snapper?:shrug:

From what I understand, if you do you might get decapitated. Those parts of the rides are just for moving the vehicles around, so they don't factor in the "human" in the design.

Wilt Dasney

I've heard of multiple folks who moved from unload to load on HM, thanks to the indulgence of CM's. Naturally, they emerged with their heads intact (and reported that there's absolutely nothing to see).

I don't know what it's like on the rest of the rides mentioned.

mikeymouse

There are pics of POTC's lift hill on the net. If I recall, its all pipes and stuff. There is a heavy rubber tarp that would smack u in the head and chest at the bottom and top. I know the load and unload CM's at HM, Buzz, SSE, etc. carry remotes to slow or stop the ride. I only saw a green and red button. Not sure how they put it in slow mode. I want someone to accidentally bump the button to send the boats into maintenance while I'm on to see what thats like.

Mansion Butler

(Haven't read the responses yet.)

Come to the Mansion when it's not busy (essentially if there are a good ammount of empty buggies being sent) and ask to stay on. They'll let you. People do it constantly, and the guests who are unable to walk far or at all go through there when they get on. You're not missing much, though.

Pirates would litterally end your life if you tried, so don't do that.

Mansion Butler

I know the load and unload CM's at HM, Buzz, SSE, etc. carry remotes to slow or stop the ride. I only saw a green and red button. Not sure how they put it in slow mode. I want someone to accidentally bump the button to send the boats into maintenance while I'm on to see what thats like.
It's a gray and red button. Red stops the ride, gray slows it. Peter Pan has the unfortunate distinction of being un-slowable, which makes it much, much harder to accomidate guests.

The area between load and unload at the mansion is litterally just a dark, small curved hallway. If you stood at the right angle (a CM won't let you) when you get off the ride, you could see load. It's that close.

rackman

The other night during MNSHP, I was allowed to stay on the vehicle for a second ride around. The short hallway was nothing impressive, just a black tube.

brent2124

At Buzz if you have a wheelchair your loaded in the unload area. Theres only a small corner to ride in and it has nothing to see other than some walls.

AEfx

At Buzz if you have a wheelchair your loaded in the unload area. Theres only a small corner to ride in and it has nothing to see other than some walls.

They all (rides that you load at the exit) are like that. I have been on every single ride at Disney with a family member in a Wheel-chair, and while it is "cool" to go on the ride a different way most of the time it's just a dark hallway.

The rides you can load at the exit if you have mobility issues include : HM, Buzz, SSE, RnR, & Nemo. I know there are a few others...

the-reason14

Ive wonderd that too about certain rides, but a lot of if not all of the omnimovers you can pretty much stay on if you ask or something goes wrong. On Buzz, you can look over and see the load portion, on SSE same thing, and I think part of the line in Maelstrom you can look and see the boats but Im not sure.

Space Mt. looks like it would be cool to stay on, but if you could die than its not lol. I guess thats why they have the "chicken exits" that a couple of times I was able to walk through but in the opposite direction of the arrows. And I also wondered about Pirates too, but if you really want to stay on and go up, then go to the one in Disneyland, its so much better. :p:D

Space Mtn's you can see from the track when you finish the ride. It is where you see an empty train going up the short lift hill. People wont get hurt if sent up, just hit face in to tarp... but other than that it is a big safety violation.. nothin fancy... it just goes where people just came from

Chape19714

You actually can't ride pirates from Unload to Load...not even the CMs do it (although they have seen the area). The ride would actually shut down if someone tried, and it would stop the boat with people before they even remotely left unload.

Rob562

Seriously? Why?

Next time you ride Pirates, take a look at the opening that the boats come out of at the Load platform. The opening is literally just big enough for the empty boat. And even before that, the boat channel runs under the queue, and the queue isn't much higher than the boat channel, so it's definitely a case of "low bridge". In order to ride through there safely, you'd have to lay down on the bench (or the floor).

I'm sure there's some sort of sensor to make sure there's nothing or noone sticking out of the boats before it gets to the low clearance section... But I don't know for sure.

At unload, the opening is much bigger, but with a heavy flap for safety. If a Guest were to be advanced beyond Unload, the Guests would get thwapped with the flap, but they wouldn't get killed. (But obviously the CM at Unload would have to hit the E-stop button pretty quickly after that.)

At Space Mountain, advancing the Guest beyond Unload is a safety issue because I don't believe there's a way to lock the lapbars at Unload. So you'd have unrestrained Guests in a dark, unmonitored area. Plus, the lift to bring the rockets from Unload up to Load most likely isn't rated to lift the weight of much more than just an empty rocket. A fully loaded rocket going up that lift would most likely break something...

-Rob

kingslyZISSOU

Original Poster
Next time you ride Pirates, take a look at the opening that the boats come out of at the Load platform. The opening is literally just big enough for the empty boat. And even before that, the boat channel runs under the queue, and the queue isn't much higher than the boat channel, so it's definitely a case of "low bridge". In order to ride through there safely, you'd have to lay down on the bench (or the floor).

I'm sure there's some sort of sensor to make sure there's nothing or noone sticking out of the boats before it gets to the low clearance section... But I don't know for sure.

At unload, the opening is much bigger, but with a heavy flap for safety. If a Guest were to be advanced beyond Unload, the Guests would get thwapped with the flap, but they wouldn't get killed. (But obviously the CM at Unload would have to hit the E-stop button pretty quickly after that.)

At Space Mountain, advancing the Guest beyond Unload is a safety issue because I don't believe there's a way to lock the lapbars at Unload. So you'd have unrestrained Guests in a dark, unmonitored area. Plus, the lift to bring the rockets from Unload up to Load most likely isn't rated to lift the weight of much more than just an empty rocket. A fully loaded rocket going up that lift would most likely break something...

-Rob
I've always noticed the low bridge (which makes me even more curious), so I figured you could just do it laying down.

I assumed the same with space mt., but didn't think about the weight issues. I wonder if a cm has ever done that.

I know it's never lavish, or anything really exciting. I just always thought it would be really neat.

the-reason14

I've always noticed the low bridge (which makes me even more curious), so I figured you could just do it laying down.

I assumed the same with space mt., but didn't think about the weight issues. I wonder if a cm has ever done that.

I know it's never lavish, or anything really exciting. I just always thought it would be really neat.

Yea this is exactly what I thought of too. I figured you could easily just lie down on the boats and "survive" so to speak, but I guess not, lol.

mikeymouse

Its like someone giving you your christmas present now and saying you can't open it until christmas. You know you're not supposed to see it, but just knowing you can't really makes you curious and anxious.

Figment1986

I've heard of multiple folks who moved from unload to load on HM, thanks to the indulgence of CM's. Naturally, they emerged with their heads intact (and reported that there's absolutely nothing to see).

I don't know what it's like on the rest of the rides mentioned.

as others have said, the HM one is barely turn a corner before you hit load... Now if you want an interesting one, at Disneyland their haunted mansion cannot unload guests from wheelchairs at it's exit due to the speed ramp, so they have to go around a corner and down a small hall, that also includes a CM cubby hole, then turn another corner at load, where you get out and ride the conveyor belt to the end, get back in wheel chair and then go up the stretching room... at WDW unload is at the ground floor so no problem.

Mansion Butler

It's called the Head Sensor, and it's there to keep guests safe, and tripping it is the most serious violation of safety rules I've come across in any area I've ever worked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom