Best time to purchase airfare?

Aurora23

We have our trip planned for the end of September and planning on using Magical Express. Some airlines have their Sept07 fares up and some do not. So I am weighing price vs flight availability (would like to arrive as early as possible :animwink: from Memphis to Orlando). I am looking for advise on when the best time to purchase airfare would be and just some general advise. Thanks!

swimmom

My experience in buying airline tickets to Orlando is to buy them early. One time I put off buying them, and I ended up paying a higher price. But this may be just from my destination - Chicago. It may be different for you from Memphis. Also since September is not a high travel time airlines may offer fare specials, but you don't know?!?!??!

Upvote 0

Aurora23

Original Poster
My experience in buying airline tickets to Orlando is to buy them early. One time I put off buying them, and I ended up paying a higher price. But this may be just from my destination - Chicago. It may be different for you from Memphis. Also since September is not a high travel time airlines may offer fare specials, but you don't know?!?!??!

I signed up for a few airlines to send me their special e-deals, and what I have seen are flights that have to be taken within 2-3 months. But I am afraid to wait that long and not get a good departure/arrival time.

Upvote 0

Dubman

I use Southwest all the time, and you can get great deals.. Only problem is that you would have to drive to Nashville.. If that is feasible, there Sept schedule comes out late April or early May..

Upvote 0

Aurora23

Original Poster
Thank you for your input. I think I will go ahead and purchase early, Northwest flies from Memphis nonstop AND it's the best price, too.

Upvote 0

tjkref418

I fly Southwest and buy my ticket(s) as soon as possible. That way I get the cheapest price :)

Do you find that Southwest's late release of flights can sometimes be a bit nerveracking in terms of firming up plans? For example, I trip planned for the middle of May and I can still not get tickets. I have this fear of not being able to get down there, so I wind up booking tickets with airlines that have their flight plans released.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Do you find that Southwest's late release of flights can sometimes be a bit nerveracking in terms of firming up plans? For example, I trip planned for the middle of May and I can still not get tickets. I have this fear of not being able to get down there, so I wind up booking tickets with airlines that have their flight plans released.

Yes, it is extremely frustrating.

Upvote 0

Dubman

Yes, it is extremely frustrating.

I double that sentiment.. Southwest very aggravating.. I find that if I am going to travel peak times and I can find reasonable airfare on another airline, that is what I book. Only when I travel off-peak do I feel comfortable waiting to book with Southwest.. From Albany direct to Orlando I have paid as little as 39.00 + taxes each way.. Forget trying to get that price during any school break/holiday.. My wife teaches kindergarten, so 90% of the time we travel is peak periods.. Double aggravating..

Upvote 0

optjay

I always book hotel/dvc, then just watch for cheap Southwest airfare to come out!

Ive never paid more than $54 dollars each way from Rhode Island ! non stop, and the $54 was only once, the rest of the time it was $49 each way.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Also, if you book Southwest right when the fares come out for your dates, and there's a fare sale afterward, you can cancel your original tickets and use the credit to book the cheaper fare. There's no cancellation fees on Southwest. You won't get any money back, but you'll have the left-over amount to use on a future flight (up to one year from original purchase date).

I've done this a few times in the past.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Scooter

I find that it's best to buy airline tickets early..but not TOO early.

Airlines put out a price apx 300 days in advance of flights. These prices are usually higher than normal. They do this to fish and see who will jump on and lock in the higher prices. Some people insist that the sooner you get the tickets, the safer you are and the better off you are.
Then, after a while, the closer you get to the actual departure date, if all the tickets aren't sold, the airline will sometimes LOWER the prices to a rediculously low rate. BE WARNED though..there are only a FEW of these tickets available at this really low rate. Again, this is to suck in customers.
Then, the closer it gets to departure time, the prices slowly go up again.
At this point, the tickets will get higher and higher the closer the departure date comes.
It's not unusual to have tickets prices go up and down 10 or 12 times before a flight. My advice is to keep checking back to the airline for ticket prices...and when you feel they are at their lowest, buy your tickets. It's a lot of work, but my wife and I have gotten some really good rates by keeping a close eye on Flight prices.
Also: For those of you who don't care what time you arrive and don't use magical express or have a limo waiting in Orlando, sometimes the flights are overbooked and the airlines will offer you as much as $300 to give up your seats on that particular flight. The $300 comes in the form of a travel voucher so if you are willing to sit around at the airport until the next flight to Orlando, you can accumulate big $$$ for your next Disney vacation.

Flying these days, and at the same time trying to get a good rate, is a lot of work...but it pays off if you do a little research before you leave.
Hope this helps.:)

Upvote 0

Disneyfan1981

Interesting read....most of the times earlier is better although once I did get a $200 roundtrip ticket from San Francisco to Orlando by waiting about four months before....

Upvote 0

H20Babie

Just FYI

Just FYI and my own experience: My DS and I are heading down at the end of March. I purchased my tickets back in July; a good 8 months before our Grand Gathering vacation. I paid approximately $1300 for both tickets, taxes in, from Winnipeg, Canada to Orlando via Minneapolis on NWA. Last week, I went online to preselect our seats, and for fun decided to see what the tickets would cost if I had waited to purchase them now. Lo and behold, are you ready for it? -- tickets are now $1,700 for one person!!! My price went up by almost $2,000 ... and for the exact same flights! And this is in Canadian dollars. My friends and family were laughing at me because I had purchased them so early. Now I'm the one laughing! :lol:

Upvote 0

swimmom

Just FYI and my own experience: My DS and I are heading down at the end of March. I purchased my tickets back in July; a good 8 months before our Grand Gathering vacation. I paid approximately $1300 for both tickets, taxes in, from Winnipeg, Canada to Orlando via Minneapolis on NWA. Last week, I went online to preselect our seats, and for fun decided to see what the tickets would cost if I had waited to purchase them now. Lo and behold, are you ready for it? -- tickets are now $1,700 for one person!!! My price went up by almost $2,000 ... and for the exact same flights! And this is in Canadian dollars. My friends and family were laughing at me because I had purchased them so early. Now I'm the one laughing! :lol:

Ditto on this experience. I purchased tickets from Chicago to Orlando for the end of March the first day they were available. I was purchasing 5 tickets, and actually had to make two seperate purchases because only 4 were available at the lowest rate. I was curious and checked the airfare price for these same flights periodically and never were they as low as when I purchased my tickets. The tickets ranged from $900.00 to about $2,000.00 per ticket. Keep in mind that the last week of March is spring break for many schools in the Chicago area, and I don't think you can get any inexpensive tickets to any warm climate if you don't book far in advance.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom