best shoes for the park?

HRHPrincessAriel

Brikenstocks or FiveFingers. One day in my running shoes, and that's because it was about 35 degrees out that day. It's not so much the shoe as it is how broken in they are/you are used to them and what shape your legs are in. Way too many people go to the parks in shoes that they haven't spent 8 hrs a day standing/walking in, so they suddenly find the hop spots in the footwear. Or they aren't comfortable mostly because their body is used to sitting in an office chair for 8 hours, not walking around. Wear something that is sensible (no stiletto's unless that is your daily wear shoe) and spend lots of time standing/walking around in them for weeks (better yet months) before you trip. If your feet are well used to wearing those flip flops so you don't get and friction blisters around the big toe, then you can probably get away with them.
well said. I'm either barefoot, wearing dance shoes a good portion of the day. I also teach dance/am on my feet all day long so this is probably a very good reason why i'm 100% ok with flip flops. My legs/feet are never tired.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Bring extra socks. Good, cushy, cotton socks, not those paper thin spandex ones. Having a dry pair to put on after a water ride or rain storm keeps your feet from sitting in dampness and festering fungus and odor.

I'd also recommend bringing at least two pairs of sneakers so you can let each pair "rest" for a day after using them the day before. This will let them dry out and keep them "fresh." This is an often overlooked "rule of thumb" that it's best to follow every day, not just in a theme park. I never wear the same pair of work shoes two days in a row, for example. It extends the life of the shoes and prevents bacteria growth and moisture damage, especially in natural materials like leather.

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
On the 3rd or 4th day of our trip, my girlfriends feet really started to hurt. We thought it was from the walking but she figured out it was her shoes. She started wearing flip-flops and she felt a lot better. She ended up wearing them for the rest of the trip. So as long as your comfortable wearing flip flops for an extended period of time, go for it

ScarletBegonias

I LOVE my Birkenstock's and wear them every single day when it's warm enough here in Maryland. They are so so comfortable, and I will probably wear them while in Disney.

(also, little runners secret for blisters. Rub your entire foot with stick deodorant before putting your socks on. It will prevent blisters and it's way cheaper than the expensive anti chafe stuff. I always used regular Secret and I got through a marathon with not one blister.)

BJones82

(also, little runners secret for blisters. Rub your entire foot with stick deodorant before putting your socks on. It will prevent blisters and it's way cheaper than the expensive anti chafe stuff. I always used regular Secret and I got through a marathon with not one blister.)

We do this for Disney every time we go, it's amazing.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
We do this for Disney every time we go, it's amazing.

It really is. I tried it during marathon training and was amazed when it actually worked.
Different strokes I guess, but that seems to me... excessive. If you have shoes that fit and quality socks, you shouldn't get blisters even without deodorant (or moleskin or anything else) on your feet. There are a lot of bodily toxins that get filtered out through foot sweat (gross but true) and I'm not sure if it's a good thing to keep them from escaping your pores.

ScarletBegonias

Different strokes I guess, but that seems to me... excessive. If you have shoes that fit and quality socks, you shouldn't get blisters even without deodorant (or moleskin or anything else) on your feet. There are a lot of bodily toxins that get filtered out through foot sweat (gross but true) and I'm not sure if it's a good thing to keep them from escaping your pores.

Well, it's certainly not something I do every single say, and maybe saying "your entire foot" is a bit misleading. I really do it on the problem blister areas. The back of my foot, and the sides. That's it. I don't put it on the bottom, and top of my feet and toes, but yeah. It does work for me when running long distance.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Well, it's certainly not something I do every single say, and maybe saying "your entire foot" is a bit misleading. I really do it on the problem blister areas. The back of my foot, and the sides. That's it. I don't put it on the bottom, and top of my feet and toes, but yeah. It does work for me when running long distance.
Oh for sure, distance running is another story. My comments about how good shoes and socks are enough to prevent blisters were strictly within the confines of a theme park experience, which is really just "normal walking," albeit for a long time. If I'm running any place it's because someone is chasing me, so I'll defer to your expertise in that area. ;)

ScarletBegonias

Oh for sure, distance running is another story. My comments about how good shoes and socks are enough to prevent blisters were strictly within the confines of a theme park experience, which is really just "normal walking," albeit for a long time. If I'm running any place it's because someone is chasing me, so I'll defer to your expertise in that area. ;)

LOL! Yeah, after 26.2 miles, even in the best shoes and socks, stuff will start to rub and chafe. The deodorant has saved my feet so many times! As for my feet in Disney, I'm trying to figure it out. I agree with other folks, that in September, I'm not sure I'm going to like my feet completely covered. However, I live in birks in the summer, so I know they won't bother me.

BJones82

We picked up the trick when my DF's shoes weren't cutting it and as ScarletBegonias said you only do it on problem foot areas. And I prefer it to the wool hiking socks I own for back packing and hiking lol... Now to say Disney is normal walking is somewhere we will just agree to disagree, walking 12-14 hours on concrete is much harder on your feet and joints than walking 12 hours of hiking at state or national parks... And in those situations if you don't have mole skins in your first aid pack you are asking for trouble... Any backpacking or hiker with experience will tell you socks and shoes are important but you have to plan for the worst just like running marathons you just have to...

Edit: Sorry if that came across mean was not trying to do that :) good shoes and socks are extremely important at Disney!!

lpet11984

Keens are great as well and so are Oofos. Great open sandals/flip flops with a decent amount of support. I actually wear the Oofos after running Disney races in the parks and my feet LOVE them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom