Best Resort for a young couple?

DrexelDragon

Original Poster
Hello Everyone,

My girlfriend and I are planning our Disney Trip for the week after Christmas this year. Now, I have been to Disney many times (close to 10) but never as just a couple - always been with family or friends. I have stayed at Coronado Springs, Boardwalk, All Star and probably a few others I don't remember since I was so young.

We have been looking at Port Orleans French Quarter and Caribbean Beach. The moderates are at the upper limit of what we can afford. What are your recommendations for us a young couple? Thanks in advance!

JillC LI

We really like CBR. Walks along the "beach," lazing about in hammocks, steel drum music. The only downside is that the beds are doubles not queens like the other mods if that is important to you.

slappy magoo

We really like CBR. Walks along the "beach," lazing about in hammocks, steel drum music. The only downside is that the beds are doubles not queens like the other mods if that is important to you.
Well, all the moderates have some rooms with a single King sized bed available, usually for 20-30 bucks more a night. If that goes out of your price range I'd personally choose one of the Port Orleans resorts, because even with young love being what it is, if you're sharing a bed, you should at least try to get a queen sized.

But as far as the romantic angle, I'd guess a lot has to do with what you find "romantic." And how much time you'll spend at the resort enjoying the amenities versus enjoying your privacy (mee-yow). Me, I'm not that much of a beach person, and prefer the Jersey Shore and Northeast style of beach versus the Caribbean, which is why I'd opt for POFQ. The grounds are also beautiful. As are the grounds at PO-R but of course that's also a much bigger resort. I'd also give PO-R points for quiet pools. No guarantees they'll stay quiet, but when I've been there, my significant other(s)* and I have managed to get some quality quiet time in those smaller slideless pools without kids cannonballing into them.

Another consideration (which I've been proffering a lot lately) is to see if you can rent DVC points. You'd get accommodations comparable to Disney Deluxe resorts for roughly the price of a moderate. The only downside is no other promotions would apply, like if you were hoping to snag a free dining offer or some other perk. But as a for-example, I looked up points for a room at the Villas @ Animal Kingdom with a Savannah view, and the price for rack rates at Caribbean Resort at the first week in January from this year. If you rented DVD points at around $14 per point, the cost is about the same once you factor in sales/resort taxes (which you wouldn't pay with DVC points). As would a Standard view room at Bay Lake Tower with rented points. Just something to consider...

* I wrote significant other(s) not because I'm some kind of crazy player, but because I've stayed at PO-R 3 times, twice with my first wife (back when it was called Dixie Landings) and once with my current wife. Each time I was situation very close to a quiet pool.

Weather_Lady

I'd opt for POFQ, especially if you plan to spend any time at Downtown Disney. (The Sassagoula River ferry boat from POFQ/PORS to DTD is a lovely way to travel!) I just think it has more of an "adult" theme and vibe than CBR, although as Slappy said, if your idea of romantic is lying on the beach, POFQ would lose on that scale.

acishere

It probably depends on the season when you visit, but I have been finding deals for the Swan and Dolphin for cheaper than the moderate resorts.

There you would be in close proximity to the Boardwalk and Epcot offerings, which are pretty much what me and my gf are looking for when traveling ie good food offerings, places for drinks, music, dancing, etc. and we are probably about the same age range as you.

POFQ is another great choice. Small, beautiful grounds, and a boat ride away from DTD.

I would only recommend CBR if you reserved a king bed. Same with Dolphin.

Last edited:

sissa216

We really, really adore Port Orleans- both French Quarter and Riverside. While Caribbean Beach is gorgeous, it definitely is large and sprawling- and I would definitely also recommend upgrading to a King Bed (as it is the only moderate that still has double beds). If you stay at POFQ, it is a nice stroll over to POR, where you'll find more options for dining and recreation, beautiful landscaping to explore, and Yeeha Bob Jackson at the River Roost.

Caribbean Beach also just wasn't our style. I have great pictures and think it is beautiful, but we much prefer the Port Orleans resorts. We actually honeymooned at POR 10 years ago this year (I still consider us a young couple, but we were a VERY young couple back then!)

copcarguyp71

Ask 10 different people and you will get 10 different answers.

We very much like Coronado Springs but it has to fit your list of likes. Some people say it is too large but really no more than 7 minutes walk from the farthest building to the front desk and four bus stops throughout the resort without shared bussing with any other resorts. Do your homework but for our money it is the best value of the moderates.

WWWD

Depending on your interests, I would also look at Swan and Dolphin. These are moderately priced and put you in the middle of a lot of action (walking distance to EPCOT and HS, mini-golf, Boardwalk, and many restaurants, shops, and bars with-in the 5 resorts in the area). These are NOT Disney themed, so if that is important, do what others have said and look at the Disney Resorts with boat access to DTD.

Todd L

Well if you enjoy the Nightlife aspect of Disney Id say French Quarter...the Water Taxi takes you Right Downtown and Runs until the wee hours of the morning.

Youll also be in walking distance (from Downtown) to Saratoga Springs which has that Incredible Spa. Really nice to get a Massage on a couples getaway.

There Really are NO bad choices in my book anyway..have Fun!

DisneyPrincess5

Before we were married, we stayed at Coronado and loved it. It was very quiet, serene, lots of nice walking paths, and great food. It tends to be the most quiet of the moderates due to its conference center (fewer kids). Happy choosing!

Last edited:

slappy magoo

Before we were marries, we stayed at Coronado and loves it.

I rarely rag on typos on a message board (unless I see a post from someone who is ragging on someone else's typos but that post also has typos, then it seems only appropriate), and I know how close the "s" and "d" keys are to each other, but as I read that sentence I can't help but imagine Gollum going "Yessss, we LOVES the Coronado! We were there before we were marriessss..."

One (wedding) ring to bind them all...

USAF79

Port Orleans was great. There are long walks and horse carriages. It is spread out so some walking will be mandatory and the internal bus route can be annoying. The swan and dolphin would be the best for a couple. Plenty of dining options and nightlife so close by with the boardwalk and Epcot.

MaryJaneP

This being a site discussing WDW and with Maleficient soon to be in theaters, maybe the typo was about a visit before they were fairies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom