Best Packing Tips!

Weather_Lady

You had me with "packing cubes!" I've never heard of them and they sound like a great idea. You seem like the most organized packer here - what kind of overall luggage do you use?

I always make a list - that's definitely a good idea, because without it I know I'd forget a few things.

Thanks - it's funny: I'm not the most organized person when it comes to other things, but I truly enjoy organizing when it comes to a vacation!

As for our luggage, it's nothing too fancy. There's a 23" Protege rolling carryon bag with telescoping handle that DH and I got ten years ago, which probably cost about $40 at JC Penney. This is the bag I typically use, and its greatest asset is that the outside zipper pockets are very large -- big enough to hold our 3-1-1 bags and our travel document folder. We also have three Traveler's Choice "Amsterdam" expanding 21" rolling carryons with extendable handles and some nice interior pockets, which we purchased on sale from eBags.com. (We bought them in three different colors -- one each for DH and the two kids -- each with color-coordinated packing cubes, so it's easy to keep track of "whose stuff is whose" when packing and unpacking). Those bags were discounted to around $25 each, with free shipping, and given their quality (e.g., zipper outside pockets, reinforced corners, fully lined, straps and pockets inside, ID tag slot on the outside) were a total steal. We're pleased with how they've held up so far. (They do tend to be "tippy" when left standing up, but for $25, I'm not going to complain.)

We don't travel super-frequently and we carry everything on (meaning our luggage doesn't have to withstand airport luggage handlers), so it makes more economic sense for us to own a few well-made-but-inexpensive pieces of luggage, rather than to invest in pricier pieces that can withstand extraordinary wear-and-tear. I also prefer rolling luggage to spinner luggage, since it gives us an extra couple of inches in packing room for the same size bag, and is still easy to maneuver. Still, luggage is a very personal thing, so "to each his own."

Last edited:

ThatBrunette

I take a photo of my suitcase with my phone camera just as I'm heading out.
On the plus side, I do have a nice collection of suitcase photos on my phone! :p

When people show pictures of their kids do you counter with pictures of your suitcases? "Here is a picture of Casey on our way to Disney World last July. He's not smiling in this picture but I just love the background"

ninjaprincesst

I always half mine and my daughters clothes putting half of everything for each of us in each suitcase so if one suitcase gets lost we both at least have some clothes. I love that Southwest allows two free bags, since I usually need two.

ninjaprincesst

Random tips from YEARS of travel; not just to WDW.

- Don't pack shampoo/conditioner/soap (it's provided). Or a hair dryer.
- The rest is all travel-sized and generally tossed when departing. Cologne/perfume in testers.
- Bring a (couple) of kitchen garbage bags for dirty laundry so you can contain and separate it.
- Pack clothes than can be freely mixed-and-matched (reduces clothes, makes managing them easier).
- Bring a bathing suit, even if you don't think you'll use it.
- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen if you're the burning type! Sunglasses, too. Maybe a hat?
- Bring ibuprofen (or whatever you use) for evenings and keep some in your day bag!
- Buy a water somewhere and just keep re-using the water bottle, refilling at fountains, etc.
- Bring a second pair of footwear, in case the first irritates you too much.
- Bring a rain jacket that's easy to pack in your day bag - stop buying overpriced ponchos!
- Bring a ZipLoc (or three) for your cellphone, camera and wallet.
- Bring a fleece/sweatshirt for those chilly (or unpredictable) days. Being cold sucks.
- Always have a credit card handy. Especially w/new RFID cards. You never know!
- USE the resort safe! Leave your wallet in there. You won't need the Home Depot card at WDW.

I so wish I could not bring shampoo and conditioner or a blow dryer ( I had a bad experience once where Tsa took the shampoo out of the ziploc and it leaked allover everything) but my daughter,mom, and I all have long thick hair so those little bottles just won't cut it nor will thoselittle blowdryers.

tare

We always put a change of clothes in each others checked bag as well as a change of clothes in our carry on. That way we have two to three changes of clothes if a piece of luggage gets misplaced during our travels. Luckily we haven't had to deal with the issue before but better safe than sorry right?
That's a great idea dividing out clothes between suitcases. We always do the carry one thing. But end up each just having our own suitcases with only my clothes his clothes etc.

jw24

There are some obvious ones like pack light, roll up your clothes, pack things you would need to have while traveling in your carry-ons, yada yada yada but I think one tip that my parents told me was to always stow away some emergency cash and/or a secondary credit card in your luggage in case you lose your wallet or something. Granted, there's always the risk of potentially losing luggage but my parents always believe that there's always more at risk if you lose your wallet completely. They say I should stow a couple hundred bucks and a secondary credit card in my luggage. Other than that, I think we talked about this earlier but use your luggage to stow away your dirty clothes. That way, you don't have fret too much about having to pack everything when you have to leave.

BoarderPhreak

I so wish I could not bring shampoo and conditioner or a blow dryer ( I had a bad experience once where Tsa took the shampoo out of the ziploc and it leaked allover everything) but my daughter,mom, and I all have long thick hair so those little bottles just won't cut it nor will thoselittle blowdryers.
Definitely a case of YMMV... A lot of times supplied conditioner flat out sucks. Or for example, when I travel to Germany - conditioner isn't very popular so I have to bring my own. Shampoo is pretty universal though (and shower gel is a safe backup). Hair dryer... If you need one and can't live without, bring one. I can't say I have that issue (long hair = pony tail = done). :p

ninjaprincesst

Definitely a case of YMMV... A lot of times supplied conditioner flat out sucks. Or for example, when I travel to Germany - conditioner isn't very popular so I have to bring my own. Shampoo is pretty universal though (and shower gel is a safe backup). Hair dryer... If you need one and can't live without, bring one. I can't say I have that issue (long hair = pony tail = done). :p

I so envy you. I have long thick hair with just enough wave to it that even for the pony tail if I didn't blow it straight it would be long hair = pony tail= rosanarosanadana= aghhh!

Last edited:

BoarderPhreak

I so envy you. I have long thick hair with just enough wave to it that even for the pony tail if I didn't low it straight it would be long hair = pony tail= rosanarosanadana= aghhh!
Nice! Hehehe... :)

Don't be jealous. My hair is fine with zero body. A pony tail is practically the only option (short of just buzzing it all). I have zero patience, skill or desire for anything else. :p

Jenna

Not a tip, but a question for any Americans based on packing. I'll be moving to Florida in January, obv I will need to take a lot of stuff. I was considering taking my bedsheets, pillow case and duvet cover with me (I think you guys refer to a duvet as a comforter) but a friend has told me that in America comforters tend to be sold with the cover already on?!?! Can you buy them without it?

Phonedave

Not a tip, but a question for any Americans based on packing. I'll be moving to Florida in January, obv I will need to take a lot of stuff. I was considering taking my bedsheets, pillow case and duvet cover with me (I think you guys refer to a duvet as a comforter) but a friend has told me that in America comforters tend to be sold with the cover already on?!?! Can you buy them without it?

Many comforters come with a cover attached. In fact that is what a comforter is - a duvet with an attached cover.

However rest assured that you can find duvets in the US as well. You may have to look around for them a bit, but there are here.

If you get desperate and can't find one, IKEA carries them

-dave

BoarderPhreak

Here's a late tip. Pack less clothes than you think you'll need… Because you KNOW you'll be buying a t-shirt, sweatshirt, whatever. That's an extra day each right there. Even if you run short, you can still always buy something to get by. Lugging a ton of luggage (especially multiplied by X number of family members) only to return home having worn half of it - sucks.

minniemickeyfan

Here's a late tip. Pack less clothes than you think you'll need… Because you KNOW you'll be buying a t-shirt, sweatshirt, whatever. That's an extra day each right there. Even if you run short, you can still always buy something to get by. Lugging a ton of luggage (especially multiplied by X number of family members) only to return home having worn half of it - sucks.
This happened to us last trip, we have a new 1 year old so we ended up doing laundry quite a bit. Our older daughter pointed out that she didn't wear half the stuff she packed. Good news is we will be packing much less this trip and only packing more quarters and laundry soap.

BoarderPhreak

This happened to us last trip, we have a new 1 year old so we ended up doing laundry quite a bit. Our older daughter pointed out that she didn't wear half the stuff she packed. Good news is we will be packing much less this trip and only packing more quarters and laundry soap.
Doing laundry onsite (especially on longer trips) is definitely a weight/bulk-saver! Quarters are easy to pack. :D

When I head down, my favorite shirts are this new breed of "golfing" polo shirts... They're made of some nylon/poly mix that's just awesome. They can be washed in the sink, hung up in the shower - and they dry in absolutely no time, wrinkle-free!

BeachclubBubsie

We are travelling with our 6 month old in a few weeks. We read this great article that gives some fantastic tips when you travel with babies. We are going to pack each of her outfits in a ziploc bag filled with one outfit, one bib, socks, and a few diapers...it creates more space in the suitcase and you can grab one or two bags and throw it in the diaper bag when you go in the parks! Getting very excited for our trip!! And obviously you have to pack your Mickey Ears :)

Hot Lava

We are travelling with our 6 month old in a few weeks. We read this great article that gives some fantastic tips when you travel with babies. We are going to pack each of her outfits in a ziploc bag filled with one outfit, one bib, socks, and a few diapers...it creates more space in the suitcase and you can grab one or two bags and throw it in the diaper bag when you go in the parks! Getting very excited for our trip!! And obviously you have to pack your Mickey Ears :)

Not unless you push all the air out of the bags. I thought this also sounded like a good idea, and tried it this summer. Unless you are really careful about pushing out all the air, it takes up more space. Even getting out all the air, it still took up more space than just putting stuff in the packing cubes. :(

It is convenient to just pull out a bag, though, and have everything you need.

GenerationX

Most trips, we're heading to both Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. To save time while in the World, I pre-pack bags for each and put those bags in a suitcase to be checked. Once we get the rental car, I take the bags out and leave them in the car. Typical contents: Ziploc bags for wet suits, Small bottle of sunscreen, Swimsuit and goggles for each person (rolled up together), Shirt/underwear/socks for each person (again, rolled up together).

I am fanatical about packing lists. Everything we're packing is listed - by piece of luggage - and checked off the list as it is packed.

Dwarful

aside from all the great tips already shared...we always pack at least one power strip for all of our electronic devices...cell phones, ipods, camera and camcorders to charge. Sometimes there are not enough plugs or they are not located in the easiest places to use. So we have a power strip that 'lives' in our luggage. This ensures we will be able to charge everything we need in one place. For packing at the end of the trip this has been a real blessing....the kids charging cords are in one spot....no cord gets left behind.

The Mighty Tim

aside from all the great tips already shared...we always pack at least one power strip for all of our electronic devices...cell phones, ipods, camera and camcorders to charge. Sometimes there are not enough plugs or they are not located in the easiest places to use. So we have a power strip that 'lives' in our luggage. This ensures we will be able to charge everything we need in one place. For packing at the end of the trip this has been a real blessing....the kids charging cords are in one spot....no cord gets left behind.

This. Similarly, in my travel bag, I have a USB charger cable and UK to foreign plug converters which live in there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom