Best Packing Tips!

Phonedave

Rolling clothes works very well. I recently start rolling T-Shirts in a new way. Lay the shirt out flat, face up, with the top facing you. Fold about 4 to 5 inches of the bottom under the shirt (so now the bottom hem is underneath the shirt). Fold the sides of the shirt in - one then the other, so now the shirt is about 10" wide. Roll it up, starting at the top. When you get to the bottom, the folded-under hem will now make a flap that you can now pull over the rolled shirt. Now you can fling it in the suitcase, across the room, or out the window - it stays rolled. I now fold all my t-shirts like this, even when they are going in the drawer, not the suitcase. (they dont wrinkle either)

-dave

Stellajack

Premium Member
We also take 4 days clothes for a 7-8 day WDW trip and use the resort laundry room. Tide packets from Dollar tree and MAYBE laundry sheets. 1-3 small ziplock bags and 1-3 large ones for unmentionables, etc. One really nice outfit for special dinner, etc. Our swimwear and all items that we will need immediately upon arrival are in a carry on tote (as light as possible). I refuse to look like a pack animal coming off that airplane and falling flat on my face. Shoulder tote only so all hands are free.

Stellajack

Premium Member
Rolling clothes works very well. I recently start rolling T-Shirts in a new way. Lay the shirt out flat, face up, with the top facing you. Fold about 4 to 5 inches of the bottom under the shirt (so now the bottom hem is underneath the shirt). Fold the sides of the shirt in - one then the other, so now the shirt is about 10" wide. Roll it up, starting at the top. When you get to the bottom, the folded-under hem will now make a flap that you can now pull over the rolled shirt. Now you can fling it in the suitcase, across the room, or out the window - it stays rolled. I now fold all my t-shirts like this, even when they are going in the drawer, not the suitcase. (they dont wrinkle either)-dave

My DH used this technique all the time when in the military and packing to leave, TDY, etc. I attended a travel class held by flight attendants once and they showed us how to pack for a weekend with one medium bag by rolling each day's items and securing w/ a rubber band. I have used this often, and it REALLY saves space. The important thing is that you must unpack asap and have a steamer handy unless everything is knit.

Ember

-

- To save space, keep things organized, and make unpacking a breeze, I use packing cubes, which are color-coded zippable mesh bags in various sizes which can be packed, Tetris-style, into your suitcase. (I happen to have eBags brand, but there are several brands of packing cubes out there that are similar.) They're also great in the event your bag gets selected for inspection -- no random undies getting tossed around! ;) I also roll the clothes before placing them in the packing cubes.
I had never heard of packing cubes before! They are so cool. I just ordered us two sets. These would have come in handy for so many trips. I'm excited to try them out. It's the little things :D

BoarderPhreak

Random tips from YEARS of travel; not just to WDW.

- Don't pack shampoo/conditioner/soap (it's provided). Or a hair dryer.
- The rest is all travel-sized and generally tossed when departing. Cologne/perfume in testers.
- Bring a (couple) of kitchen garbage bags for dirty laundry so you can contain and separate it.
- Pack clothes than can be freely mixed-and-matched (reduces clothes, makes managing them easier).
- Bring a bathing suit, even if you don't think you'll use it.
- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen if you're the burning type! Sunglasses, too. Maybe a hat?
- Bring ibuprofen (or whatever you use) for evenings and keep some in your day bag!
- Buy a water somewhere and just keep re-using the water bottle, refilling at fountains, etc.
- Bring a second pair of footwear, in case the first irritates you too much.
- Bring a rain jacket that's easy to pack in your day bag - stop buying overpriced ponchos!
- Bring a ZipLoc (or three) for your cellphone, camera and wallet.
- Bring a fleece/sweatshirt for those chilly (or unpredictable) days. Being cold sucks.
- Always have a credit card handy. Especially w/new RFID cards. You never know!
- USE the resort safe! Leave your wallet in there. You won't need the Home Depot card at WDW.

WellFedDave

If you're going during F & W to pick up some wine or simply have a tendency to buy stuff at WDW thats breakable. I cannot recommend enough these babies!
http://www.winediaper.com/
These worked for both wine we picked up at the festival and some breakable xmas ornaments. Completely worth the expense.

Soarin' Over Pgh

If you're going during F & W to pick up some wine or simply have a tendency to buy stuff at WDW thats breakable. I cannot recommend enough these babies!
http://www.winediaper.com/
These worked for both wine we picked up at the festival and some breakable xmas ornaments. Completely worth the expense.

If I picked up wine I fear it wouldn't make it past the hotel room door. :(

Boarder, thanks for the extra tips :) Adding to list next to "another battery charger" and aspirin!

PrincessMia

@BoarderPhreak,
- Bring a second pair of footwear, in case the first irritates you too much.

I'll second this! I read the tip and took 2 pairs of shoes for DD and myself a couple of years ago. It rained everyday, and I was SOOO thankful for the dry shoes. We alternated and (at least) had dry shoes to start each day. DH did not, and had soggy feet. Yuck.

Hot Lava

I pack Purex laundry sheets and do laundry midway through the trip. It's an excuse to spend a quiet afternoon by the pool while the clothes is washing/drying.

FYI - these are no longer being made.

Packing cubes are awesome. I have also used those packing "envelopes", but I find the cubes to work better for me. Plus, I have color coated for different family members (I have bought several sets at ebags when on sale). So I pack my stuff in one color, and my son's stuff in another color. Hubby still stubbornly refuses to use them, and just throws his stuff in a bag five minutes before. :rolleyes:

EDIT: That should be color coded, not coated. LOL!

MOXOMUMD

FYI - these are no longer being made.

Packing cubes are awesome. I have also used those packing "envelopes", but I find the cubes to work better for me. Plus, I have color coated for different family members (I have bought several sets at ebags when on sale). So I pack my stuff in one color, and my son's stuff in another color. Hubby still stubbornly refuses to use them, and just throws his stuff in a bag five minutes before. :rolleyes:
Lol. Your husband must be a member of my family. My mom's saying was "If I forgot it, I'll buy it when I'm there." I can count maybe three times we had to and it was toiletries. Now that I'm a mom I always overpack.

Hot Lava

Lol. Your husband must be a member of my family. My mom's saying was "If I forgot it, I'll buy it when I'm there." I can count maybe three times we had to and it was toiletries. Now that I'm a mom I always overpack.

I do not know why he finds everything thrown in a jumble in a dark hole of a suitcase a better solution. And actually, he prefers using his crappy duffel bags as well. With the kid, he has been forced into using bigger suitcases b/c we always need the extra space.

I would love to have the "I can buy it there" attitude. But I have some bad skin issues, and so can only use specific products. So I always need to make sure I have all that stuff (especially prescription). Although whenever I am preparing to go home and get wound up about packing, my mom does always say I can get anything I need there. Which is completely true, and I try to take that attitude, but it is hard!

Caveat: We went to Mexico once. It was as we were arriving at the airport I realized I had forgotten all my makeup. We had no time to detour to a drugstore (where I could get at least basics). We flew through Ft Lauderdale, which apparently has NOTHING like that available for purchase. At least not in the terminal we were in, and I was too afraid to miss the flight to go elsewhere in the airport. We we at a resort that was at least 20 miles from the closest town that might have any makeup. So I had to go the whole trip without. Not happy considering it was a wedding and there were all the pictures. Of course, I have never again forgotten to at least pack a mascara and pencil eyeliner.

jkl2000

- Packing tip #1: make a packing list ahead of time and stick to it!

- We do not check bags (bad experience in the past), so we go light on the clothes: we pack one swimsuit, one pair of walking/swimming sandals (e.g., Tevas), EXACTLY as many tops, undies, socks, etc. as we'll need (one per day), and half as many shorts (they get worn twice each). I pack some detergent in case we need to do laundry at the resort or in our room sink, but we've never had to wash anything yet. By doing this and wearing our bulkiest items (e.g., a lightweight jacket, pants, sneakers) on the plane, we can fit 6 days' worth of clothes for one adult and one child in a single 21" carryon bag. (For our next trip, we've deemed the kids to have "graduated" to having their own carryons, so those bags are about to feel a lot roomier).

- To save space, keep things organized, and make unpacking a breeze, I use packing cubes, which are color-coded zippable mesh bags in various sizes which can be packed, Tetris-style, into your suitcase. (I happen to have eBags brand, but there are several brands of packing cubes out there that are similar.) They're also great in the event your bag gets selected for inspection -- no random undies getting tossed around! ;) I also roll the clothes before placing them in the packing cubes.

You had me with "packing cubes!" I've never heard of them and they sound like a great idea. You seem like the most organized packer here - what kind of overall luggage do you use?

I always make a list - that's definitely a good idea, because without it I know I'd forget a few things.

Hot Lava

I always make a list - that's definitely a good idea, because without it I know I'd forget a few things.
Keep a running list; add to it whenever you think of something. B/c if I just sit down to make a list, I forget a lot of things. I tend to think of things at random times, not when I really need to. :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom