Best of Christmas at Disney World

MickeyMark57

We just made our 5 night 6 day reservations for Dec. 13-18. Just curious where we need to look for the best, different, gotta see, Christmas Disney Magic stuff. I'm talking about food, decorations, shows, sights, smells.
What's one or two things you found special about Disney at Christmas?
I know we can't do it all but we can sure try!:xmas:

captainkidd

Can't believe I haven't seen a recommendation for checking out the Wilderness Lodge yet. We went for Christmas 2007 and far and away, it was the best resort for Christmas.

Upvote 0

MickeyMark57

Original Poster
More great ideas! Tell more about the WL decorations. I thought that one would be good because of the big fireplaces and the theme of a National Park lodge. Also, tell me about the Black Cat. I have no idea what to even look for.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
This is my first christmas at Disney too, I can't wait. We will be there Dec 6-12. Already have my MVMCP tix. Which Resorts are Must sees, I know each is decorated, but which ones are at the top of the list???:xmas::xmas:

I'm going to Disney for my first Christmas there. I'm
going from December 23-29. I find it very wierd that MVMCP is ending the 18th. Is there any reason for this? And what else goes on at MK after that ends?

As far as the hotels, GF, WL, Beach, Boardwalk and AKL have the nicest displays.

MVMCP ends on the 18th because afterwards the parks are too crowded. Then the MVMCP parade and fireworks are presented during the day (and evening) for regular admission on Christmas week.

There is also a Yuletide Fantasy Christmas tour:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISNEY'S YULETIDE FANTASY

Almost magically, Walt Disney World Resort transforms into a holiday headquarters complete with millions of sparking lights, larger-than-life Christmas trees and miles of garland. Guests take a behind the scenes peek at that magical transformation in Disney's Yuletide Fantasy, a three-hour journey into the holiday history of Walt Disney World Resort.

Guests take guided tours to theme parks and resort hotels, learning stories about the themes of the Yuletide decorations and how Disney elves transform the parks and hotels into an annual winter wonderland. Disney's Yuletide Fantasy is open to ages 16 and older.

For other planning references look here:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Events/Holidays-Around-the-World-at-Epcot.htm
http://allears.net/tp/holiday.htm

Upvote 0

durangojim

More great ideas! Tell more about the WL decorations. I thought that one would be good because of the big fireplaces and the theme of a National Park lodge. Also, tell me about the Black Cat. I have no idea what to even look for.

They also offer sleigh rides from the WL through the path that leads to Fort Wilderness. The two things I would say not to miss are the Candlelight Processional (especially if you're Christian) and the Osborne lights at DHS. If you have to skip one thing, due to funds, skip MVMCP. It's fun and nice, but not worth the price of admission (IMO). Everything else is fantastic though. Also, make sure you get your picture taken with Santa. In the past, he has had a spot in an alcove on Main Street where you can get pics for free with him. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

stevo ohio

This is a great thread - thanks to all who have contributed.

We are going for our first Christmas season at WDW - kind of, since we arrive on Dec 31st and leave on Jan 5th. I know some of the activities or decorations described will be gone, but does anyone have a sense of when the resort decorations come down?

Also, I know often MK and EPCOT close due to capacity on NYE often...can anyone give first hand accounts of what to do, see, experience, on NYE?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

corey154

I second the gingerbread house at grand floridian. Also,the christmas tree at epcot will give you some great pics. My daughter loves going to downtown disney, they have santa and a dance party. Plus they have special christmas merchandise. All of the hotels are decorated beautifully. If you have a vehicle and can go off property the disney neighborhood Celebration is decorated and have a down town area that's cool to check out. Alot of houses have lights on them, one even has his house set to music. has some great dining in their downtown area, even snows like it does on main street of the magic kingdom during MVMCP. Once you get there you won't even need our advice, you'll find so much neat stuff on your own, it's everywhere. OH yeah, another thing that is really cool, i seen it on the travel channel is at fort wilderness alot of people decorate their campsites and it's neat to drive around looking at all the lights and decorations, i mean some people really go all out!

Upvote 0

durangojim

We are going for our first Christmas season at WDW - kind of, since we arrive on Dec 31st and leave on Jan 5th. I know some of the activities or decorations described will be gone, but does anyone have a sense of when the resort decorations come down?

Also, I know often MK and EPCOT close due to capacity on NYE often...can anyone give first hand accounts of what to do, see, experience, on NYE?

Thanks!

You'll still be able to see just about everything. I'd do EPCOT on NYE if you want an incredibly busy experience where you don't get on many rides and don't mind staying in the park all day, in case it closes due to attendance levels. EPCOT has a great fireworks show. That being said we prefer DHS on NYE for the following reasons: It's still a great party atmosphere, there are DJs and drink carts set up all over. We like to have dinner at the Brown Derby and then ride some attractions (TOT, RNR, Star Tours). You can still go through the Spectacle of Lights. They put on a fantastic fireworks show that is only shown twice a year, I believe (NYE and July 4th). Also, DHS hardly ever closes to capacity on NYE meaning you can go to MK or EPCOT in the AM, take a break/nap/swim and then come back to the park in the afternoon. You're taking a chance if you want to do that with EPCOT or MK. Either way have a great time!

Upvote 0

MickeyMark57

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words that this is a great thread. I'm new at this kind of stuff. I hope everyone is picking up new ideas. I know I will take several suggestions and see how it works with our plans.
One question about the Wilderness Campground. Most campgrounds I've been at do not allow people to just wander through for security reasons.
How would you go about getting in to see the displays?

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

You will encounter christmas decorations like you have never seen before, if it isn't moving it is decorated! First and foremost the Castle at MK is covered in lights, check out durangojim's avatar. It is really relaxing to visit some of the resorts and check out their displays. One sure way of being able to do this is to book some dining at that resort and take some time after your meal and check the place out. Also check out the Resort Picture of the Day thread and you will find some of the pictures contain christmas decorations. Christmas music piped into the parks. It is a very magical time of year to visit.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words that this is a great thread. I'm new at this kind of stuff. I hope everyone is picking up new ideas. I know I will take several suggestions and see how it works with our plans.
One question about the Wilderness Campground. Most campgrounds I've been at do not allow people to just wander through for security reasons.
How would you go about getting in to see the displays?

Other than MVMCP being over at the end of Dec., everything else continues and lights stay on through the weekend after New Years.

As for visiting the campgrounds, easiest to take a boat over. Campgrounds have visitors all the time, for Hoop de do, Trails End etc.

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

You are absolutely going to love going during this time of year!!! We went during the 1st week of December this past year and it is by far my new favorite time of the year in Disney!!! Be sure to check out all the decor in the Deluxe resorts, Osborne Spectacle of dancing lights at DHS is incredible, MVMCP was a blast and the Candlelight Processional at Epcot was awesome!! If I may, if you are interested in CP, I would definitely recommend doing the Candlelight Processional dinner package that way you do not need to wait in line hours before to get a seat for the show. The dinner package gives you reserved seating. Hope you have a Merry Magical Trip!!!

Upvote 0

BiggerTigger

Generally, what is the weather like in December? We'll be flying down this year and the expense of taking luggage needs to be minimal. Who wants to carry a lot of luggage either?

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Generally, what is the weather like in December? We'll be flying down this year and the expense of taking luggage needs to be minimal. Who wants to carry a lot of luggage either?

Unfortunately, it is very up in the air. Generally days will be in the low 80's with it cooling off at night. For hearty New Yorkers, you will probably spend your days in shorts and light shirts. I have been there some years where short sleeves are fine through the evening (usually long pants however), but other years definitely needing sweatshirts and even hats/goves (definitely for the Floridians!)

You can always go light, knowing there is no shortage of sweatshirts at Disney.

Upvote 0

Fantasmic Freak

I experienced Christmastime in WDW for the first time this past December. I have been to and worked at WDW many times, and this was by far the most magical experience I've had there.

Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights were breathtaking and MVMCP is a must.

I wasn't prepared for the line for Candlelight Processional...I guess people get in line hours before the show...so we just watched it from behind the ropes and we could still hear it well. I would rather spend my time enjoying Epcot than waiting in line all day. I think they have some kind of dinner package for it at one of the restaurants that give you priority seating...seems like a good idea to me.

Have a great time!

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I experienced Christmastime in WDW for the first time this past December. I have been to and worked at WDW many times, and this was by far the most magical experience I've had there.

Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights were breathtaking and MVMCP is a must.

I wasn't prepared for the line for Candlelight Processional...I guess people get in line hours before the show...so we just watched it from behind the ropes and we could still hear it well. I would rather spend my time enjoying Epcot than waiting in line all day. I think they have some kind of dinner package for it at one of the restaurants that give you priority seating...seems like a good idea to me.
Have a great time!

Indeed they do, and I think it's a good idea as well. You do have to line up on the left side of the theater, but will get a seat.

Tier 1
Seating 1 - $27.99 plus tax & gratuity / ages 3-9 $12.99 (Lunch)
Seating 2 & 3 -$33.99 plus tax & gratuity / ages 3-9 $14.99 (Dinner)

The Garden Grill Restaurant - Land Pavilion
Biergarten - Germany Pavilion

Tier 2
Seating 1 - $37.99 plus tax & gratuity / ages 3-9 $12.99 (Lunch)
Seating 2 & 3 - $44.99 plus tax & gratuity / ages 3-9 $14.99 (Dinner)

San Angel Inn - Mexico Pavilion
Restaurant Marrakesh - Morocco Pavilion
Nine Dragons - China Pavilion
Rose & Crown - United Kingdom Pavilion

Tier 3
Seating 1 - $44.99 plus tax & gratuity /ages 3-9 $12.99 (Lunch)
Seating 2 & 3 - $53.99 plus tax & gratuity / ages 3-9 $14.99 (Dinner)

Chefs de France - France Pavilion
Tutto Italia - Italy Pavilion
Le Cellier Steakhouse - Canada Pavilion
Teppan Edo and Tokyo Dining - Japan Pavilion
Coral Reef - The Seas with Nemo and Friends Pavilion

How do I book the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package?

Reservations for the Candlelight Processional dinner packages can be made by calling (407) WDW-DINE (939-3463).

From Allearsnet

http://allears.net/tp/h_cpfaq.htm

Upvote 0

BiggerTigger

Unfortunately, it is very up in the air. Generally days will be in the low 80's with it cooling off at night. For hearty New Yorkers, you will probably spend your days in shorts and light shirts. I have been there some years where short sleeves are fine through the evening (usually long pants however), but other years definitely needing sweatshirts and even hats/goves (definitely for the Floridians!)

You can always go light, knowing there is no shortage of sweatshirts at Disney.
Thank you. I do remember going down as a kid in November and we froze our ...... off. Learned not to camp in Florida in November. :lol:

But even in New York we have had crazy winter weather too. I'll keep an eye on the weather channel as we get closer.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom