Best Moderate for location AND transportation

riogirl

We are planning our first October trip this year and are looking to stay at a moderate this time since we are only coming down for a few days. I have been to the World 15+ times and have stayed at Contempo, and Wilderness Lodge and carribean beach and coronado springs...but since, I have heard alot about other moderates being great. Also any word on the dolphin and swan?

I am specifically looking for newly remodeled, good transportation to the parks and nice layout/food. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

MickeyPeace

I love the Dolphin and stay there annually. Can't beat it for walking distance to Epcot and Hollywood. Great restaurants. Most comfortable beds on property. Also it is the price of a moderate but with deluxe accommodations. Drawback is you can't use Magical Express to and from airport and can't charge to your room on your room key card.

Here are all of the rooms I've stayed at there.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0E4BE6305EA69034

For Disney moderate I like Coronado Springs. Here are some videos from the resort of room, gym and a walk through.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL18CFC45BF89A55C7

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, let me know. Great screen name btw. :)

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Coronado Springs for location and transportation. Hands down.

It is centrally located, has the best driving times to parks out of all the moderates, and in my 4 stays there I have never had to wait for a second bus when going back to the resort after park close. (This could definitely just be luck). The horrible location and transportation at POR are one of the reasons we did not enjoy our stay there and have since returned to CSR.

Sorry, but that's crazy. Port Orleans is the closest moderate resort to Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Downtown Disney.

Upvote 0

Pooh'sBuddy

Ooooh, so many good responses!

I've been wondering the same thing, but we're too far out for our next trip to really make a determination.

First - my 2 cents. We stayed at CBR in the Jamaica section (in January 2009) and had great bus service for most of our visit. For three out of the four parks, the bus came in from the side street and made three stops before leaving the resort for the parks. We only had to go around the whole resort a couple of times. CBR seems pretty close to EPCOT and DHS, but a bit further away from MK. The limited time we were at the resort, it was fine for us. I read they still have double beds, though.

Secondly - my question on CSR. This resort looks huge! The size looks like a deal breaker to me. How long does it take for the bus to get around the whole resort before making out onto Buena Vista Drive in June?

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Ooooh, so many good responses!
Secondly - my question on CSR. This resort looks huge! The size looks like a deal breaker to me. How long does it take for the bus to get around the whole resort before making out onto Buena Vista Drive in June?

It is, but the bus service is no better or worse than Port Orleans. Caribbean Beach has the slowest buses because they have the most stops. I liked Riverside for the location and theme. CSR's rooms to me, are stale. I also don't care for the amount of people there for conventions. Makes it stuffy. Now that Port Orleans is putting queen size beds in, I don't see any advantage to staying at CSR.

Upvote 0

mhaftman7

Coronado Springs for location and transportation. Hands down.

It is centrally located, has the best driving times to parks out of all the moderates, and in my 4 stays there I have never had to wait for a second bus when going back to the resort after park close. (This could definitely just be luck). The horrible location and transportation at POR are one of the reasons we did not enjoy our stay there and have since returned to CSR.

Amen. I had a horrible time @ POR. We will be at CBR mid-April, hoping island bus stops are worth it.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Pors.

We must be lucky after reading so many negatives about the bus service.We get up first thing in the morning and have breakfast at the food court and head out to the main depot and have no problems with the busses.This year will be our third visit to PORS. Always in July.I've read other blogs about how busy the food court gets in the morning,that's funny,it's completely dead when were having b/fast.Up early people,get yourself outa bed and enjoy a quiet b/fast and hop on a bus to the parks.:wave:

Upvote 0

lebeau

We must be lucky after reading so many negatives about the bus service.We get up first thing in the morning and have breakfast at the food court and head out to the main depot and have no problems with the busses.This year will be our third visit to PORS. Always in July.I've read other blogs about how busy the food court gets in the morning,that's funny,it's completely dead when were having b/fast.Up early people,get yourself outa bed and enjoy a quiet b/fast and hop on a bus to the parks.:wave:

We rarely had problems with the morning buses. It was coming home that was an issue.

We did have one day when we had ADRs at Cindy's Table and we got there as a MK bus was pulling away. And then there wasn't another one for 40 minutes. And when it came, it was a DTD bus driver who said he was rerouted to POR to handle the situation. We wound up being late for our ADRs (which were before the park opened) but not terribly so thanks to a good driver in a bad situation.

The bus rides home were a horror story every night. Even if we left before park close. It was rare to get on the first bus. And if you did, it was standing room only. And we always seemed to be the last stop. POFQ always got dropped off first.

Maybe we were lucky up until then or maybe we were just really unlucky that one time, but we've never had such a bad transportation experience at any other resort.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

We rarely had problems with the morning buses. It was coming home that was an issue.

We did have one day when we had ADRs at Cindy's Table and we got there as a MK bus was pulling away. And then there wasn't another one for 40 minutes. And when it came, it was a DTD bus driver who said he was rerouted to POR to handle the situation. We wound up being late for our ADRs (which were before the park opened) but not terribly so thanks to a good driver in a bad situation.

The bus rides home were a horror story every night. Even if we left before park close. It was rare to get on the first bus. And if you did, it was standing room only. And we always seemed to be the last stop. POFQ always got dropped off first.

Maybe we were lucky up until then or maybe we were just really unlucky that one time, but we've never had such a bad transportation experience at any other resort.
. Yeh,spot on,there was some nights at MK when we headed to the bus during a Brazillian invasion at our hotel,but we always beat them and Scotland do not beat Brazil often,infact never.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

We are planning our first October trip this year and are looking to stay at a moderate this time since we are only coming down for a few days. I have been to the World 15+ times and have stayed at Contempo, and Wilderness Lodge and carribean beach and coronado springs...but since, I have heard alot about other moderates being great. Also any word on the dolphin and swan?

You mention about staying at a moderate, but mention Dolphin and Swan. These resorts are really deluxe resorts.

[I am specifically looking for newly remodeled, good transportation to the parks and nice layout/food. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

You re looking for something newly remodeled in a moderate then you would have to go with PO with the new royal rooms or CBR with the pirate rooms. Unfortunately neither resort is best for location and transportation. The best of the moderates for location and transportation would be Coronado and it's layout is better than PO. Since you already stayed @ Coronado then you know what it has to offer.

Swan and Dolphin were mentioned and these resorts offer you walking distance to both Epcot and DHS. They are also somewhat centrally located on WDW property and bussing to MK and AK are reasonable.

Out of all of your choices, the Swan or Dolphin would give you the best IMHO.

Upvote 0

Club34

I heard that the CSR is closed and is no longer accepting reservations. Its decor, pool area, central locale, and bus system were not popular. Please choose another resort. You would not like there anyway. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

accord99cutie

Premium Member
Sorry, but that's crazy. Port Orleans is the closest moderate resort to Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Downtown Disney.

Time it. It is not crazy. It is fact.
Coronado has the quickest times to the parks out of the moderates. (POR may win to DTD which to me is not that big of a deal...)

here, Touringplans data (AKA Unofficial Guide data)

CSR:Commuting Times to the Parks Park Commuting Time
Magic Kingdom 6 minutes
Epcot 4 minutes
Animal Kingdom 5 minutes
Disney's Hollywood Studios 5 minutes

PORS:
Magic Kingdom 12 minutes
Epcot 8 minutes
Animal Kingdom 16 minutes
Disney's Hollywood Studios 13 minutes

Upvote 0

accord99cutie

Premium Member

We always get a room by bus stop 3, takes 2 stops before we depart. maybe 5 minutes from pick up to departing the resort? and on the ride back we are the 2nd stop and its one drop off then us, maybe 2-3 minutes extra? it's not long at all.

Upvote 0

wdwgirl3

we stayed at POFQ in oct 2010 and had no issues with bus service. only one bus stop. NEVER shared with POR when going to the parks and only a couple of times we shared on the way back to the resort and when we did, we always get dropped off first. one afternoon I had the bus all to myself and it was a straight ride to MK. boat ride to DTD is a bonus as well. :animwink:

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Time it. It is not crazy. It is fact.
Coronado has the quickest times to the parks out of the moderates. (POR may win to DTD which to me is not that big of a deal...)

here, Touringplans data (AKA Unofficial Guide data)

CSR:Commuting Times to the Parks Park Commuting Time
Magic Kingdom 6 minutes
Epcot 4 minutes
Animal Kingdom 5 minutes
Disney's Hollywood Studios 5 minutes

PORS:
Magic Kingdom 12 minutes
Epcot 8 minutes
Animal Kingdom 16 minutes
Disney's Hollywood Studios 13 minutes

And in Passporter it says:

Coronado:
Magic Kingdom - 15 minutes
Epcot -15 minutes
DHS - 15 minutes
Animal Kingdom - 10 minutes
Downtown Disney - 25 minutes

Port Orleans:
Magic Kingdom - 10 minutes
Epcot - 10 minutes
DHS - 15 minutes
Animal Kingdom - 15 minutes
Downtown Disney - 15 minutes

No need to time it. Just look at a map. Port Orleans is literally right next door to the front entrance of Epcot. If you exit Port Orleans on to Bonnet Creek Road for about 1/4 mile, take a left, you're on World Drive in 1.5 miles, already past the Magic Kingdom entrance.

Obviously commute times can vary, depending on when you arrive at the bus stop, etc. But the fact is, Port Orleans is closer to those 3 specific destinations. Coronado is closer to Blizzard Beach, and Port Orleans is closer to Typhoon Lagoon.

ETA: I should clarify. When I said "crazy", I was by no means referring to the idea that Port Orleans is the fastest commute of all the moderates. As I said, it all depends on timing, time of the year, etc. What I was referring to was the comment that it has a horrible location. If you've ever stayed there and know your way around WDW, you'd realize it's location is pretty awesome.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

And in Passporter it says:

Coronado:
Magic Kingdom - 15 minutes
Epcot -15 minutes
DHS - 15 minutes
Animal Kingdom - 10 minutes
Downtown Disney - 25 minutes

Port Orleans:
Magic Kingdom - 10 minutes
Epcot - 10 minutes
DHS - 15 minutes
Animal Kingdom - 15 minutes
Downtown Disney - 15 minutes

No need to time it. Just look at a map. Port Orleans is literally right next door to the front entrance of Epcot. If you exit Port Orleans on to Bonnet Creek Road for about 1/4 mile, take a left, you're on World Drive in 1.5 miles, already past the Magic Kingdom entrance.

Obviously commute times can vary, depending on when you arrive at the bus stop, etc. But the fact is, Port Orleans is closer to those 3 specific destinations. Coronado is closer to Blizzard Beach, and Port Orleans is closer to Typhoon Lagoon.

ETA: I should clarify. When I said "crazy", I was by no means referring to the idea that Port Orleans is the fastest commute of all the moderates. As I said, it all depends on timing, time of the year, etc. What I was referring to was the comment that it has a horrible location. If you've ever stayed there and know your way around WDW, you'd realize it's location is pretty awesome.

25 minutes to go 4 miles down the road from CSR to DTD. Granted there are 6 traffic lights, but :eek:.

15 minutes from CSR to MK and that is almost 6 miles and 4 traffic lights.

15 minutes from CSR to DHS that is 1 mile and 3 traffic lights.

10 minutes from PO to MK that is 4.5 miles with 4 traffic lights. :hammer:

I think they used a dart board to pick the times. These times are actually quite comical. They really skewed the times to make it look like PO is much closer. They must use twin turbo busses for PO. :lol:

Upvote 0

captainkidd

25 minutes to go 4 miles down the road from CSR to DTD. Granted there are 6 traffic lights, but :eek:.

15 minutes from CSR to MK and that is almost 6 miles and 4 traffic lights.

15 minutes from CSR to DHS that is 1 mile and 3 traffic lights.

10 minutes from PO to MK that is 4.5 miles with 4 traffic lights. :hammer:

I think they used a dart board to pick the times. These times are actually quite comical. They really skewed the times to make it look like PO is much closer. They must use twin turbo busses for PO. :lol:

:lol:

Why would they do that? It's a travel guide.

Here's the thing that some people don't understand. Disney bus drivers don't use the same routes necessarily that people who drive do. For example, CSR to DTD isn't just a straight shot down Buena Vista Drive. They take a left on to Bonnet Creek Road, then take a right on Disney Vacation Club Way, and go past Old Key West and Saratoga Springs. Adds some more miles and time on.

At the same time, from Port Orleans. the buses don't have to go through 4 stop lights to get to the Magic Kingdom. They only have to go through 2, at the end of Bonnet Creek Road and at the entrance to the MK bus stop.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

:lol:

Why would they do that? It's a travel guide.

Here's the thing that some people don't understand. Disney bus drivers don't use the same routes necessarily that people who drive do. For example, CSR to DTD isn't just a straight shot down Buena Vista Drive. They take a left on to Bonnet Creek Road, then take a right on Disney Vacation Club Way, and go past Old Key West and Saratoga Springs. Adds some more miles and time on.

At the same time, from Port Orleans. the buses don't have to go through 4 stop lights to get to the Magic Kingdom. They only have to go through 2, at the end of Bonnet Creek Road and at the entrance to the MK bus stop.

That is a good question. I am not sure, but they certainly seem to be slightly off on their times. Quite high with their times for one resort and about right on the other.

There are three lights, don't forget the one by T&TC on Seven Seas Dr/Timberline Drive. I was thinking there was a light coming out of PO, but there is not.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

[/B]
There are three lights, don't forget the one by T&TC on Seven Seas Dr/Timberline Drive. I was thinking there was a light coming out of PO, but there is not.

Oh yeah - Forgot about that one. That's a right hand turn though, and they can turn on red in Florida. That only counts as half a light.:)

Honestly, there are so many errors in every Disney Guidebook and so much factually incorrect nonsense, I'm amazed some of them get through their editors. I wish I had the slightest bit of writing skills. I could write such a great, detailed and accurate book about WDW. I'm sure many of us on here could.

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Premium Member
Really, the only transportation issues we have ever had with POR is at park closing. Usually there are longer lines at the end of the day for Riverside and the sister resort French Quarter because they are two of the larger (if not the combined largest) resorts on property.

For those who are fairly familiar with the transportation system guides, you will not find them "waiting an hour" for a bus in the mornings. For instance, when it seems that everyone is going to MK and you are deep in the line at the resort's depot, why not go ahead and take the EPCOT bus (short ride)and transfer to Magic Kingdom via the monorail (quick change @ TTC)? You will probably get there faster than waiting for an hour for the MK bus which is really unusual.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom